Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Nye booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects sunlight

Sirc

Yes | No

Default Bill Nye booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects sunlight

http://www.examiner.com/x-4112-Skept...-Just-shoot-me

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun.

Trouble started when the children's entertainer brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars," and pointed out that the lesser light was actually a reflector.
    At this point, several people in the audience stormed out, including woman with three small children who shouted, "We believe in God!" and left.

Nye was taking part in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series, giving talks on global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption, but it was the moon thing that got them.

According to Morgan Matthew, "This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarrassment."
    WTF. Bill Nye was one of my childhood heroes. If Bill Nye came to my school as a kid to teach me a science lesson, I would no doubt, have let him molest me.

Fuck these assholes.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL @ TEXAS

Okay, so I try to defend southern folk by saying "oh, it's just the fringe lunatics that are so fucking crazy", but come on, at some point you just have to realize that these lunatics are the majority!

God damn.

Unintentional Rayp'ist Spade: The Real Snake's Avatar

Yes | No

Next thing you know, that faggot Nye will tell me it isn't made of sweet, delicious cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    What Snake Said
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Snake is also correct about EVERYTHING.

Yes | No

Sounds about right. Like Jesus did for the Jews though, Austin redeems Texas of all its sins.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

So Austin is a haven for gay, black, atheist scientists?

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

HE'S NOT CHRISTIAN!!!

Yes | No

Huh, can't say I'm surprised that a few people got their panties in a bunch.

I may have mentioned that Bill once came into my shop and bought some shoes for his kid (I'm assuming they were for his kid, they were maryjane style shoes that didn't look his size). I got his autograph but he wasn't as warm as I would have imagined. I guess that makes sense, being all crazy awesome on TV all the time would take it out of a person...

Last edited by Steve; 23rd April 09 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

... Supporting Member Kid Miracleman's Avatar

Yes | No

:(

Sirc

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Huh, can't say I'm surprised that a few people got their panties in a bunch.

I may have mentioned that Bill once came into my shop and bought some shoes for his kid (I'm assuming they were for his kid, they were maryjane style shoes that didn't look his size). I got his autograph but he wasn't as warm as I would have imagined. I guess that makes sense, being all crazy awesome on TV all the time would take it out of person...
    I would love to meet the fucker.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Sounds about right. Like Jesus did for the Jews though, Austin redeems Texas of all its sins.
    Austin...Austin?

Are you fucking serious?