Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My company has stopped matching 401k contributions

Yes | No

Default My company has stopped matching 401k contributions

So what kind of options am I looking at here? Is it worth it to keep pouring money into the 401k when I'm not receiving the match from the company? Should I think about putting the money somewhere else?

I'm kind of at a loss in this current situation so any help would be appreciated. I know I didn't really give much info but I can elaborate further on my situation if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

Is the party over for partyboy?
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Ability to feel pain Dark Helmet's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    Lol!
    "But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. Itís rather like if you flirt with a girl, itís more exciting than paying for a prostitute, because while you know youíre gonna get it, the other one you donít.Ē"

Yes | No

Assuming you have a "recession safe" set of choices already defined for your 401k, and assuming you are making enough for the tax bennies to actually matter,I would think you should probably keep saving for retirement.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

Ability to feel pain Dark Helmet's Avatar

Yes | No

Are you asking to take your money out of your 401's? The recession is likely to end eventually so I would chose to keep it until your company can financially resume their commitments.

Also, did you watch that 60 minutes report on 401k's?
    "But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. Itís rather like if you flirt with a girl, itís more exciting than paying for a prostitute, because while you know youíre gonna get it, the other one you donít.Ē"

Yes | No

Unless you can roll it over into an IRA without much of a hassle then you should probably leave it where it is.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    never, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    never, dammit!
    Phew! That's good, what with the high fructose lady lying to me I've had enough shake ups in my life. Keep on shining you crazy diamond
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Baracknophobic Supporting Member KhorneliusPraxx's Avatar

Yes | No

a) leave what you have where it is but stop funding it and start a seperate Roth IRA and fund it like Scrooge McDuck.

b) Start your seperate Roth IRA, as above, and go ahead and roll your 401K into it. You shouldn't have any penalties but you should have to pay your bullshit, I mean federal, taxes on it now if you do that.

Consult a local professional in Atlanta and ask his opinion on which is best for you.

Yes | No

Ignore everything that everybody other than me is saying in this thread. The only time a Roth IRA is a better option than a 401K is when your post retirement tax rate is higher than your current one as a working person. This is extremely uncommon.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger