Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Fructose corn syrup type sugar

Yes | No

Default High Fructose corn syrup type sugar

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...se-drinks.html
    Fructose worse than glucose when it comes to sweetened drinks: study
    Last Updated: Monday, April 20, 2009 | 6:08 PM ET Comments70Recommend72CBC News
    All sugars are not created equal when it comes to how our bodies metabolize the sweeteners, a new study suggests. People who drank beverages sweetened with fructose, but not glucose, showed an increase in intra-abdominal fat and blood lipid levels and decreased sensitivity to the hormone insulin, researchers reported in this week's issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

The findings suggest that fructose-sweetened beverages can interfere with how the body handles fat, leading to medical conditions that increase susceptibility to heart attacks and strokes.

The results could be important given that in 2005, the average American consumed 64 kilograms of added sugar, a sizeable proportion of which came through drinking soft drinks, said study author Peter Havel of the University of California at Davis and his colleagues.

Consumption of sugars and sweeteners in the U.S. went up by 19 per cent between 1970 and 2005, according to a commentary accompanying the study.

Increased use of high-fructose corn syrup as a sweetener in pop in the last few decades has been proposed as one dietary change fueling obesity in developed countries, Matthias Tschöp and Susanna Hofmann of the University of Cincinnati-College of Medicine noted in their commentary.

The most common form of the syrup contains five per cent more fructose than glucose and is perceived as sweeter, according to food and drink manufacturers.

Metabolic changes
    In the 10-week study, 17 subjects consumed a quarter of their calories from fructose-sweetened beverages and another 15 subjects drank the equivalent amount in glucose-sweetened beverages. Participants had an average age of 50 and a body mass index of 29, which is considered overweight.

Both groups put on the same amount of weight, but only the fructose group showed the other differences.

People drinking the equivalent of about six cans of soft drinks a day in fructose became less sensitive to insulin, which helps control glucose levels in the blood, and showed signs of dyslipidemia such as high cholesterol.

Fructose is no worse than glucose if taken in moderation, said Dr. David Jenkins, who holds the Canada Research Chair in nutrition and metabolism at the University of Toronto.

"We're talking about excess in people who are gaining weight, people who are overweight to begin with and people who are not exercising to begin with," Jenkins said.

The long-term effects of fructose remain unknown, but it's clear that chronic overconsumption of dietary sugars in general is harmful to health, the commentators said.

"For our part, we will continue to aim for moderation of balanced caloric ingestion without excluding the occasional sweet soda," they concluded.

Some manufacturers have released sugar-free versions of soft drinks, and the corn industry has responded with ads suggesting high-fructose corn sweeteners have "the same natural sweeteners as table sugar."
    Never really learned much about this stuff before so this pique my interest. I've heard its a money pit for government subsidies so I always disliked it for that reason.
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

High fructose corn syrup is in most mass produced American food.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJJGzbN3fg
    Last edited by EuropIan; 21st April 09 at 01:04 PM.
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

Mexican pop is much better than other pop.

Ian, seen those before. But it's still interesting to watch how a massive marketing machine can spin anything.
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by elipson

Ian, seen those before. But it's still interesting to watch how a massive marketing machine can spin anything.
    Yeah I've posted them before I am just dumbfounded by the appeal to ignorance apparant in those adds.
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Mexican pop is much better than other pop.
    ???

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyFmn9YVLy8

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

Yes | No

See, this is why I drink scotch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

YOU LIED TO ME FRUCTOSE LADY!!!! HULK SMASH YOU WITH BRICK!

I never drink that shit anyway. I prefer rocket fuel.
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Yes | No

Good Calories Bad Calories... Taubs. Is proven right again.

Yes | No

For those who don't know, the answer the anti-fructose people in the ads should have said is the following:

High fructose corn syrup is linked with heard disease and insulin resistance, which can very easily lead to diabetes and obesity, and thus more heart disease. It is not anything like sugar at all [sugar is 1 sucrose plus 1 fructose, if memory serves] because it is so heavily processed and modified it has no remaining nutritional value. It's lower in GI than glucose but that is hardly impressive. Exposure to it is addictive and it is overrepresented in foodstuffs everywhere, from icecream to cereal to baked goods to drinks. It's the silent killer, because you'll consume tons of it before you realise it. HFCS is the reason why America is fat; it's what makes shit junkfood taste great and it keeps huge sums of ill-gotten money in the hands of corn growers across America.

"In moderation" for high fructose corn syrup is none. It is a whole food minus the whole. It has no nutritional value beyond pure energy, and there are much better energy sources.

Cane sugar is a moderately good sugar [I think it's lower in GI than regular sugar but probably not as low as honey] but there's a million alternatives to explore.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    For those who don't know, the answer the anti-fructose people in the ads should have said is the following:

High fructose corn syrup is linked with heard disease and insulin resistance, which can very easily lead to diabetes and obesity, and thus more heart disease. It is not anything like sugar at all [sugar is 1 sucrose plus 1 fructose, if memory serves] because it is so heavily processed and modified it has no remaining nutritional value. It's lower in GI than glucose but that is hardly impressive. Exposure to it is addictive and it is overrepresented in foodstuffs everywhere, from icecream to cereal to baked goods to drinks. It's the silent killer, because you'll consume tons of it before you realise it. HFCS is the reason why America is fat; it's what makes shit junkfood taste great and it keeps huge sums of ill-gotten money in the hands of corn growers across America.

"In moderation" for high fructose corn syrup is none. It is a whole food minus the whole. It has no nutritional value beyond pure energy, and there are much better energy sources.

Cane sugar is a moderately good sugar [I think it's lower in GI than regular sugar but probably not as low as honey] but there's a million alternatives to explore.
    Give this man some rep and a bite of your ice cream.