Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any home brewers here ?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

I'll certainly investigate using real hops when I've got the basics down with my first batch. It will take less time and effort than trying to purify rain water, but I still want to do that too.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    The kit I bought has 2 cans of malt (3kg) and you don't add sugar for the first fermentation, but the instructions say to add some (80-100g) to the barrel for the secondary ferment to produce about 4.5% bitter if you follow their measures and time timetable closely.

I've never had Woodford Wherrie on draught, but the website I got it from said to expect lower carbonaton and slightly higher alcohol levels than the professionally brewed version.

What recipe did you use ?
    I follow the instructions for the most part, but sometimes vary the sugar. I even tried golden sugar one time - it sort of worked but didn't stand out. I entertain crazy notions of using brown sugar or giving brewing sugar a try.

I think I'll try mixing two cans (perhaps of slightly different flavours) in next time, cutting out the sugar. It does effectively double the cost of each pint though, so perhaps I'll change my mind.

Yes | No

I could probably grow hops in my garden (I'm not that far from Kent, it's about the same temperature just a bit of a wetter climate over here in the west). Do you know how the volumes compare ? i.e. what weight of real hops would I need compared to the powdered stuff which I assume is more concentrated?
    He brewed 5 gallon batches. It would be easy for you to convert depending on your batches.

The brewing forums I looked at suggested that Lager was more complex and should be avoided for a first attempt because it needed more stages and more careful temperature control, as you say.

Luckily, I like the simpler English bitter, so I'll stick with that for beer.

Did he ever make wine ?
    No, well, I can't say that. He made fortified juice, but that is just soaking berries (or whatever you want) in hard alcohol for an extended period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

All this DIY hedonism is giving me strange hippy ideas.

Have you thought about getting sugar from fruit ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    He brewed 5 gallon batches. It would be easy for you to convert depending on your batches.
    I've got a 5 gallon bucket and barrel too. Do you know what weight of real hops he used ?

No, well, I can't say that. He made fortified juice, but that is just soaking berries (or whatever you want) in hard alcohol for an extended period of time.
    Like flavoured Vodkas?

I want to avoid buying in spirit because the cost is mostly in the ethanol (due to tax) rather than what you flavour it with.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I didn't address the powdered vs the hops, no, powdered is not the same as having real hops. It's not the same as you would think: powdered is the remains of the hops, while hops are, well, hops.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

I've got a 5 gallon bucket and barrel too. Do you know what weight of real hops he used ?
    No, I don't.

Like flavoured Vodkas?

I want to avoid buying in spirit because the cost is mostly in the ethanol (due to tax) rather than what you flavour it with.
    Yep, I agree.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

for five gallons usualy around eight ounces would be used.

also hops added early give bitterness, hops aded in the middle of the boil add spicyness, and hops added towards the end or added to the fermenter add aroma

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Aside from sterilisation, having a good storage place while it ferments is the key AIUI. I've had a couple of goes at it with mixed results but my friend is an expert.

And I will say that while I've drunk many a tasty home brewed beer, I have never drunk an even moderately palatable home made wine.

I had some nice home made whiskey in Laos but that may have been because it was liberally laced with opium.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    I had some nice home made whiskey in Laos but that may have been because it was liberally laced with opium.
    lol, ya think? ;)

Sounds like something I would like.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!