Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any home brewers here ?

Yes | No

No, but I haven't thought about breaking the law either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    See, this is where I can't do that: I've helped said mate brew on many occasions, he placed in the Hale's Ales brewery competition more than once. He was semi pro in the brewing process, worked at a brew store here in Seattle.

So the box type stuff just doesn't interest me.
    Wow, he sounds like a real expert. I've been reading home brewers' forums for a few months now, and there are some eccentric, dedicated dudes out there living in the rural US with home-made chemical plants hidden in their barns.

Was he making his own malt from sprouted grain and that kind of advanced stuff ?
    Last edited by Cullion; 14th March 09 at 06:33 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

Distilling your own booze is illegal in the UK AIUI, partly because there's more of a risk you'll accidentally make methanol and fuck yourself up, and partly because most people simply don't have enough space to make enough beer to run a real business whilst evading tax, but if you start distilling bottles of spirit, then it becomes possible with a modest amount of space.

My next projects are going to be wine from stuff out of the garden (because AIUI this is simpler than making beer from grain) and to try and purify rainwater from the barrel to brew with, because our tapwater tastes like shit.

If I was to think about distilling some plum wine, I'd look at freeze distilling because AIUI you can't accidentally make meths, but it's illegal so of course I won't.
    Last edited by Cullion; 14th March 09 at 06:29 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

I doubt that beer is going to turn out well, generaly kits produce watery beer.

also I did not know that powdered hops existed.

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

I've brewed beer a few times and am about to dust off my brew bin for another go. It's always been a success, but good lord I've got fucked a few times on the end product. Am presently experimenting with sugar levels. I hear using two cans of syrup has better results than using just one and adding sugar.

Yes | No

I've had reasonable beer from a kit before. It was much less carbonated than beer sold in a pub or out of a can, but it had an OK flavour and it was strong.

I will post an honest review of my first batch when it's ready, but my main aim for now is to produce something acceptable at radically lower cost.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Wow, he sounds like a real expert. I've been reading home brewers' forums for a few months now, and there are some eccentric, dedicated dudes out there living in the rural US with home-made chemical plants hidden in their barns.

Was he making his own malt from sprouted grain and that kind of advanced stuff ?
    Not at all, but he used real hops, not powdered stuff.

And he brewed with the weather (he lived in a cramped house. Used the environment for brewing according to season. For lagers he stored them outside when it was cold etc), as it should be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    I've brewed beer a few times and am about to dust off my brew bin for another go. It's always been a success, but good lord I've got fucked a few times on the end product. Am presently experimenting with sugar levels. I hear using two cans of mix has better results than using just one and adding sugar.
    The kit I bought has 2 cans of malt (3kg) and you don't add sugar for the first fermentation, but the instructions say to add some (80-100g) to the barrel for the secondary ferment to produce about 4.5% bitter if you follow their measures and time timetable closely.

I've never had Woodford Wherrie on draught, but the website I got it from said to expect lower carbonaton and slightly higher alcohol levels than the professionally brewed version.

What recipe did you use ?
    Last edited by Cullion; 14th March 09 at 07:05 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Not at all, but he used real hops, not powdered stuff.
    I could probably grow hops in my garden (I'm not that far from Kent, it's about the same temperature just a bit of a wetter climate over here in the west). Do you know how the volumes compare ? i.e. what weight of real hops would I need compared to the powdered stuff which I assume is more concentrated?

And he brewed with the weather (he lived in a cramped house. Used the environment for brewing according to season. For lagers he stored them outside when it was cold etc), as it should be done.
    The brewing forums I looked at suggested that Lager was more complex and should be avoided for a first attempt because it needed more stages and more careful temperature control, as you say.

Luckily, I like the simpler English bitter, so I'll stick with that for beer.

Did he ever make wine ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

i heard the best hops come from belgium, and the import tax on it is so high it closed a couple of really good microbrews here. you should be able to get it for much cheaper than us, and it would probably be worth it.
    Mockery is an important social tool for squelching stupidity. -Scott Adams.