Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any home brewers here ?

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Any home brewers here ?

I decided a while ago that if I was going to prepare for the apocalypse properly, I would need to be able to produce my own alcohol.

I'm a week in to brewing 40 pints of english bitter using a beginner's kit of Woodford's Wherry. The starter kit with all barrel, siphon, hydrometer, sanitising chemicals etc.. cost 55. Future batches of malt will mean I get beer at about 20 pence a pint.

I will also be able to make wine from stuff out of my garden.

Anybody else produce their own booze?

I'm going to be conducting all kinds of experiments once I can reliably produce basic quaffing ale, and I'll tell you about them in this thread.
    Last edited by Cullion; 14th March 09 at 01:56 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Zendetta

Yes | No

My best friend/acupuncturist/snow boarding compadre has been home brewing for a while. The stuff he makes can honestly stand up to most of the expensive west-coast microbreweries. The best one was a Russian Red Ale, but his porter and his blonde ale (to which he added chinese herbs) were also amazing.

If you don't already have one, get a wort cooler. Homebrewing without one makes for bitter, undrinkable beer.

Yes | No

Hmm. I'd never come across that term before.

I've had homebrew from a friend that was drinkable without using a wort cooler years ago, he made some kind of very dark beer and said he'd added extra sugar to try and get the alcohol content up.

I just added cool water to the malt and boiling water mix at the bottom of the fermenting bucket to fill it up before adding the hop powder and yeast as per the instructions on the kit.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Home Brewer Extraordinair Keith's Avatar

Yes | No

I've been using the Mr. Beer homebrewing kit for about 6 months now. It's about as basic as it gets, makes 2 gallons of beer in a batch. My home brewing tastes are starting to outgrow the Mr, Beer system and I'm thinking about getting something a little more robust soon. But I have made some pretty tastey stuff (I'm enjoying some right now).

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

I also used to do it as well. Be careful with sterilization {obvious/}
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

Yes | No

Yeah, I'm worried about that part the most. I tried this once before when I was a student and before I even transferred it out of the fermenting bucket it got some nasty looking green shit growing in the froth that smelled foul so I threw it away.

I've just siphoned this batch into a sterilised airtight barrel with some sugar this evening and it seemed healthy, just smelled like beer and I tasted a little after doing the hydrometer test. Just tasted like very bitter fizzy 'raw' beer.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

An old mate of mine brewed the best beers I've ever tasted, did kegs for a few of my birthdays. I don't like dark beers, but he made a blackberry porter to die for.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly with his talent, he had to quit drinking; and thus, brewing.

I have thought about doing it myself but I spend enough time drinking as it is, don't need to spend more time making drink (though, I would try it if I had the time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

If you're worried about going over the edge by having too plentiful a supply of alcohol on hand, it's pretty easy to limit it, because whilst it's much cheaper, this is booze you have to wait for.

As far as it being time consuming, this is what I had to do:-

Rinse out the fermenting bucket from the cold tap.

Fill it about a third full and add a few teaspoons of the sterlising chemical and shake it around, with the spoon and the siphon tube in there so they get sanitised too.

Pour some boiling water into a pot and leave the 2 cans of malt in it to warm and soften for 10 minutes.

Repeat the shaking a few times over that ten minute period to get the bucket sanitised all around the inside.

Rinse it.

Open the cans of malt and pour them in with 2 kettles of boiling water.

Fill up the rest of the bucket with cold water so it's lukewarm and frothy.

Stir in the hop poweder and then the yeast into the lukewarm malt mix with the sanitised spoon.

Clip the lid tightly on the bucket and put it in the cupboard under the stairs.

Maybe half an hour ?

Forget about it for a week.

Sanitise the spoon again, and the plastic 40 pint barrelwith the tap as with the bucket, rinse it and then siphon the beer into it. (10 minutes to sanitise and then just leave it siphoning for maybe 20 minutes or so)

Add 100g of sugar and stir in some of the yeasty goo from the bottom of the bucket with the sanitised spoon. Screw the airtight seal on the barrel tight. Put it back under the stairs.

Following the instructions, I'll be taking that barrel out from under the stairs in about a week and putting it somewhere cooler for another week before I attempt to drink a pint of it.

It's really not much time. I understand your concerns about being tempted to go over the edge with your alcohol consumption, but to be honest unless you actually feel you need to give up alcohol altogether then this is just a way of spending less money on it, have a bit of a hobby getting involved in making it yourself and it's beer you have to wait for. With a single barrel and a single bucket you can't physically produce more than 40 pints per month.

I have 2 experiments in mind once this batch is done:-

i) I have a rain barrel in the back garden. I'd like to build something that lets me filter and sanitise that water to use for brewing. Oxfordshire tapwater tastes awful to me compared to the tapwater where I grew up.

ii) In the warmer months, hedgerow fruit, apples and pea-pods from the garden might make cider and wine.
    Last edited by Cullion; 14th March 09 at 05:59 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

See, this is where I can't do that: I've helped said mate brew on many occasions, he placed in the Hale's Ales brewery competition more than once. He was semi pro in the brewing process, worked at a brew store here in Seattle.

So the box type stuff just doesn't interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

have you thought about distilling your own booze?
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/