Thread: Brainscan - watch this classic you dirty dirty plebes

Yes | No

Default Brainscan - watch this classic you dirty dirty plebes

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmHJBp3J_PA

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    A lonely teenage horror-movie fan named Michael Brower (Edward Furlong) discovers a mysterious computer game that uses hypnosis to custom-tailor the game into the most terrifying experience imaginable.

When he emerges from the hypnotic trance he is horrified to find evidence that the brutal murder depicted in the game actually happened -- and he's the killer. Add in the appearance of the mysterious Trickster (T. Ryder Smith), and the murderous madness jumps to the next level.

Hounded by his best friend Kyle Hilliard (Jamie Marsh) and Police Detective Hayden (Frank Langella), and hiding the truth from girl next door and crush Kimberly (Amy Hargreaves), Michael's world comes crashing down in a hectic cacophony that is sure to make one think, "are you sure you wanna play?"
    This movie has it all: b-movie acting, plot twists, hard rock and teenage boobies!

I think I love this movie so much because HBO would play this all the freaking time when I was growing up. I probably watched it at least 10-20 times before I was 14...

Anyway, onto the review:

Plot
    Like the plot summary above states: this loner video game/computer nerd/horror movie aficionado (ed furlong) gets this new game that basically hypnotizes you so that you believe you're a serial killer. He tries it out and after he completes the killing/level he comes to find that the murder he thought was only in the game actually happened down the street from his house. Today the plot twists may seem a little predictable but first-time watchers may still be surprised.

Acting
    Typical 90's horror/slasher fare, but I think furlong pulls off the stoner/teen angle pretty well (come on, this kid HAD to be puffin on mary jane). He also pretty much carries the movie on his shoulders as lead. Both the principal and police detective investigating him deliver good performances that personify everything teens hate about authority figures. As for the Trickster... meh... there's probably a reason you've never heard of the actor before. The german shepherd actually does 100x better than him in my opinion, plus he's a lot funnier.

Soundtrack
    The original sountrack is pretty awesome, mainly due to George S. Clinton (no, not mr. funk, this guy composed for movies like austin powers, the mortal kombats, cheech & chong, etc.). It's creepy in its own right but then the movie's also filled with 90's grunge & metal like Primus, White Zombie, and the Butthole Surfers.

AWESOMENESS
    What kicks so much ass about this movie though is that I was totally able to relate to a bunch of the teenage stuff: dealing with jerks at school, having that one girl that always seemed out of your reach, etc. (for those of you have seen/will see this, NO I wasn't a serial killer).

Plus, furlong has the COOLEST F'ING 90's nerd pad. A huge house all to himself - check, an entire furnished attic full of games/posters/comic books/swag - check, and A FUCKING VOICE ACTIVATED COMPUTER BUTLER!!! (oh, yeah, and he also lives in direct line-of-sight with a cute babe who wants his junk and puts on peep shows for him at night)

TL;DR;

so... in closing - WATCH THIS MOVIE.

"but partyboy, even though it's clearly a classic, how could even my lazy ass ever find this diamond in the rough??"

Well, it turns out that places like netflix still offer this for rent/download but the conscientious folks out on the interwebz have made it even easier for you to experience its mind-fuck of awesomeness (*make sure to watch in HD!!):

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Which part contains afore-mentioned boobies?

Also, that guy? Jeez, I really don't like him. He's always a whiny little bitch. And by "always", I mean that one time I saw him in Terminator 2.

Yes | No

part I has boobies... plus more later on but I'd have to search for it

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Nuts in general are super.

Yes | No

I'm going to pretend that there is a subplot of Nixon adopting a new identity to redeem himself while dispensing his own brand of street justice.