Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfogiveable Blackness - the rise and fall of Jack Johnson

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Unfogiveable Blackness - the rise and fall of Jack Johnson

Unoforgiveable Blackness is a documentary on the life of Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight boxing champion. I'd heard of Johnson before and knew a little about his life and fighting record but this film opened my eyes to just what a massive cultural influence he was in the early 20th century. His impact on America and the greater world was as great, if not greater than Muhammed Ali.

Johnson was an intelligent, articulate and quick witted man whose superiority over his peers in the ring had as much to do with his technical and strategic brilliance as anything. There is a wealth of archival footage of hundred year old boxing matches and it's evident that Johnson, even when pitted agianst the supposed champions of the day, was rarely even stretched in fending off their attacks and countering. His technique would seem fairly primitive by today's standards but it is far ahead of its time.

When Johnson finally beat the former champion Jim Jeffreys, who had ducked him for years because he refused to countenance the prospect of a negro world champion, race riots erupted across America with hundreds killed (mostly blacks). It was viewed by many as the first shot in the coming race war that would last well into the new century.

Johnson's greatest crimes, for which he ultimately paid dearly, were an innate self confidence that he refused to hide and a penchant for white women, often several at a time. Although he was abused and vilified in word and print more than most people could tolerate he was almost always amiable and charming. When asked by a white man why some white women preferred the company of black men he replied, "We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts."

I would highly recomend this film to anyone with an interesting in boxing history or history in general. Fascinating stuff. Four stars.

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Four stars.
    out of?

Cool review.
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.

Yes | No

This is not at all the Jack Johnson I was thinking of.

It's a shame that is so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Shawarma

Yes | No

I once saw a documentary on boxing. IIRC, it claimed that it was an old Jack Johnson who told Max Schmeling that Joe Louis dropped his guard after throwing a specific punch, which Schmeling went on to capitalise on and beat him. Anyone know if that's true? Would be ironic if it was, black dude helping a 3rd Reich era German beat the Great Black Hope.

Yes | No

It would make your day, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Shawarma

Yes | No

Aber natürlich!

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G.R.
    out of?

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

Big influence on this guy:

Thanks for the review, BS. I'd been meaning to have a look at that.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    I once saw a documentary on boxing. IIRC, it claimed that it was an old Jack Johnson who told Max Schmeling that Joe Louis dropped his guard after throwing a specific punch, which Schmeling went on to capitalise on and beat him. Anyone know if that's true? Would be ironic if it was, black dude helping a 3rd Reich era German beat the Great Black Hope.
    I'd never heard that. Could it have happened? Sure, Johnson was a great student of boxing and Louis was more a slugger. There's a great story of how a teenage Johnson was beaten by a much older, craftier white fighter in an unsanctioned match for which they both found themselves locked up. In the two months that they shared a cell the older man taught Johnson every trick he knew. Seriously, the Hollywood biopic writes itself on this one.

Would Johnson have done that? I'm a little dubious. He was renowned for going easy on black opponents in the ring and taking his frustration out on white opponents, particularly in the years when he was denied a shot at the title by a succession of white champions.

Acupuncturist/BSN/AA-S Quikfeet509's Avatar

Yes | No

Didn't Johnston finally win his title in Australia since Jeffrey's wouldn't fight him in the US?

Or was that someone else...