Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The decline of Britain.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Default The decline of Britain.

I often bemoan the state of our country, and some people have expressed an interest either on the forum, or in private correspondance for me to explain in a bit more detail exactly what's going on here in the UK.

I've kicked the idea of making a dedicated 'what's happening to the UK and why?' thread for a while. Truculent Sheep made the good point that it would be too easy to turn such a post into a long-winded rant that meanders around bits of history etc.. which I would find very hard to have time to write, and most people wouldn't have time to read.

So I'm going to do it piecemeal using current news articles giving examples of our national troubles, and respond to as many questions as I can, and occasionally pause to summarize what I think's happening, why it started and where it might lead us.

Other people who find pertinent articles please feel free to post them in this thread too.

I'm going to start with an example of the warped thinking of some of our municipal social services departments.

A couple with young children kindly took in an 18-year old through a local social services scheme to help young adults emerging from the childcare system with no family to support them. He then went on to sexually assault their nine year old daughter and rape their 3 year old son.

A terribly sad and unfortunate affair you might think.

The 18 year old in question was known to the social work team to have committed several simillar offences in the past. Not only did they still think it would be OK to place him with a family containing 2 young children, but they kept his background of sex abuse secret from the couple who took him in in order to protect his 'human rights'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-1636016.html
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

do you see a root cause for all of this?

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus
    do you see a root cause for all of this?
    You mean specifically for the kind of strange decision making seen by some of our social services departments ? Or the broader national decline I'm talking about ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

both

Yes | No

The broader decline has complex causes I'd like to leave for now until I've shown more examples of our country's problems and tried to give more specific analysis of what's broken in each case.

In this specific case, the department in question have admitted culpability and are investigating exactly how this decision was reached.

Social services in this country suffer from a range of problems:-

i) High case loads per social worker.

ii) Patchy recruitment quality for social workers. I'm sure there are many fine social workers. I have also personally met several extremely lazy social workers with substance abuse issues.

iii) Crank left-wing political ideologies endemic. I'm not talking about liberal views like HoG's or SWK's. I'm talking about extreme political-correct variants of marxist thought that sees everything in circumstantially deterministic terms and reflexively sides with the apparent 'underdog'.

iv) In some cases the social workers are simply acting within broken legislative guidelines passed to them by our law makers (or in some cases EU directives).
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

I think the social worker thing might be more representative of the field than of the country. We have all those problems in Canada as well. The field seems to attract unstable people.
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

Liffguard

Yes | No

iii) Crank left-wing political ideologies endemic. I'm not talking about liberal views like HoG's or SWK's. I'm talking about extreme political-correct variants of marxist thought that sees everything in circumstantially deterministic terms and reflexively sides with the apparent 'underdog'.
    This is just me thinking out loud rather than a fully-supported argument, but if I had to select one core reason for most of the country's current social problems then this would be pretty high on my list. It started off as a predominantly New Labour phenomenon but now it seems to be prevalent throughout the political scene; the basic idea that every problem is a result of large social injustices and never the result of personal choices. What this seems to lead to is a political class that believes it can legislate all problems out of existence and a general social climate where everyone thinks they're a victim.

Yes | No

This is where it gets hard to tell things out of their context. In the US, I would mock such a claim mercilessly. Not because that kind of idiocy doesn't exist here. It does, especially on college campuses and schools in general. But it has been driven completely out of the mainstream. Nowadays for the most part it's something that people are accused of thinking rather than being something that they actually think.

But that is a specific historical change in the US, that may not translate that well.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

Yes | No

Yes Liffguard, that's one of the problems behind a lot of our country's troubles.

Is it time to look at a different problem, or do people want to look at our weird social services decisions in more depth ?
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    This is where it gets hard to tell things out of their context. In the US, I would mock such a claim mercilessly. Not because that kind of idiocy doesn't exist here. It does, especially on college campuses and schools in general. But it has been driven completely out of the mainstream. Nowadays for the most part it's something that people are accused of thinking rather than being something that they actually think.

But that is a specific historical change in the US, that may not translate that well.
    I do not know much about how social services work in the US. If you would like I can provide several more desperately sad examples of children get raped and/or murdered as a direct result of social services incompetence and/or warped victimology.

Can you envision a US municipal social services team placing an 18 year old who they knew to have comitted several sexual offences against children, with a family containing young children whilst keeping his past a secret from the parents?

It actually happened here. I'm just trying to explain how this came to be. My mind reels.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME