Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: F*ck you, McDonald's: Price Hike for Poorer Communities

Yes | No

Extra! Extra!  Read all about it! F*ck you, McDonald's: Price Hike for Poorer Communities

Like I really needed another reason not to eat at McDonald's:

McDonald's to charge more in poorer suburbs
    McDONALD'S is lifting prices in poorer suburbs where it believes consumers are more likely to accept higher charges without complaint.

Costs were previously based on restaurant overheads and ingredient prices.

But the multi-national fast-food chain is using socio-economic factors to determine charges under a new "demand-based pricing" scheme.

Corporate documents obtained by The Courier-Mail show McDonald's Australia has identified an "opportunity to introduce more aggressive price increases" in 73 Queensland outlets.

Some of the stores include Logan Central, Loganholme, Arana Hills, Gympie, Ipswich City, Labrador, Morayfield and Inala Plaza.

McDonald's, which yesterday confirmed the pricing strategy, says the price "refinement takes into consideration individual factors that relate to each store ... ".

A McDonald's franchisee, who asked to remain anonymous, said the biggest price rises were concentrated in low-income areas.

"In general, the poorer suburbs will pay more," the franchisee said.

The document says the system's objective is for individual stores "to maximise the potential for a price rise" while minimising the risk consumers will go elsewhere or choose a cheaper meal. The biggest price rise will be for children's Happy Meals, which will increase by 16.5 per cent from $4.25 to $4.95, at all locations.

Other items will rise in two stages by between 1.8 per cent and 3.3 per cent, depending on the location of the restaurant.

The first stage has already been implemented, while the second stage will occur in May.

McDonald's corporate communications manager Bronwyn Stubbs said the company developed prices according to "established research techniques" and these were recommended for company-owned restaurants. The most recent "refinement", which considered price factors relating to each store, was to align with the company's "global practice".

Choice spokesman Christopher Zinn said he was surprised McDonald's would raise prices during tough times.

Mr Zinn said families looking for cheap meals should consider alternatives to fast food.

----------------------------------

Link.

Yeah, this is only happening in Australia but I'm boycotting for their sake state side. Greedy douchebags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

is happening in all states down here actually, not just Qld .
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Yes | No

maybe they will eat somewhere better.

Yes | No

Seriously. Hard to muster up much give-a-fuck or people who eat that crap.

Yes | No

I'm ashamed to admit that I grab a cheeseburger there once a week or so if my wife has the car because there's a Mcd's right dowtown where I change buses after work.
    I hate them, but a quick, $1.39 double cheeseburger fills my gut for an hour or so and sustains me until I get real food.
    I'm a victim..aren't I?
    Somehow or other it has to be the corporate world's fault...

Yes | No

McDonald's should at least be more expensive than buying groceries and cooking your own food, but it isn't. That is why poor people are always fat, even though they have less money for food.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handy

Yes | No

?

They are encouraging poor people to buy healthy food and prepare it themselves.

It's more expensive if you're a moron, but we all know that poor people are all the smartest and least impulsive. It's 99% circumstances.
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Yes | No

Unless you like balogna and white bread and/or spaghetti, you can't beat the dollar menu.

I can get completely stuffed for $3 with 2 double cheeseburgers and a small fry.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handy

Yes | No

I can get stuffed for multiple days with chicken backs, water, vegetables, maybe some barley.

But chicken soup actually takes a couple hours, and the time of poor people is so valuable and limited.
    Last edited by Kein Haar; 4th March 09 at 02:42 AM.
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

yeah, its their crappy food, they can charge what they want for it. When people find it too expensive and stop eating it, they'll ship off with the discounts.

maybe a whole bunch of poorer aussies should go on a hunger strike?
    Where have all the hobos gone to?

RESOLVE IS A DISHONEST PERSON.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/