Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy an incinerator for tissues... uh, I mean condoms?

Stand out of my kennel Aphid Jones's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Time to buy an incinerator for tissues... uh, I mean condoms?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...867939011.html
    DNA sample may be enough to build an image of your face

Derek Todd Lee: genetic analysis of DNA evidence found at the crime scene helped lead to his arrest

In this section »

DICK AHLSTROM, Science Editor, in ChicagoFORENSIC SCIENCE is about to take a startling new turn – reconstructing facial features and skin tone simply by reading your DNA. This goes far beyond doing an identity-proving genetic fingerprint, it means the person’s actual face will emerge after analysing a collection of genes, according to a scientist from Pennsylvania State University.
    The process, “forensic molecular photofitting” relies on mapping genes that are linked to skin pigmentation and in its more complex form, to groups of genes that control facial structure, stated Dr Mark Shriver.
    The approach has already been used to help identify and convict a serial killer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Dr Shriver said over the weekend at a presentation to the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in Chicago.
    The session was chaired by Ireland’s chief scientific adviser, Prof Patrick Cunningham.
    Derek Todd Lee was convicted of murder in 2004 and faces a death sentence. He is implicated in the deaths of at least seven women. Initial witness testimony indicated he was white, but genetic analysis of DNA evidence left at the crime scenes showed he was actually African American, something that aided his arrest, Dr Shriver said.
    He has done extensive analysis of the genetic origins of Americans, looking for DNA markers to indicate the mix of European, African or Native American background.
    “We are not doing race genetics,” he said. Race was a complex issue that involved both cultural and biological aspects. “Race is a mixed effect and its meaning is interpreted in different ways.” Rather, he was trying to understand population genetics as applied generally in molecular biology.
    Work so far showed the European American/African American genetic mix was as low as 3.5 per cent in a sample from Georgia but as high as 35 per cent in a sample from Seattle.
    Dr Shriver is now mapping genes that define facial shape. He links the gene mix with fixed points on the face, for example eye corners and separation, corners of the mouth, nose tip and length and face edges.
    These are being computerised with the gene mix indicating what the ratio will be between these various facial features. It allows the computer to build up an image of a face based only on the gene mix found in the DNA. He indicated that “maybe 500 facial markers and 500 ancestry markers” would be enough to build an accurate and complete face.

Will a market appear for compact, aerosol spray bleach that can fit snugly on your person?
    When Sociocide dies, who gets The ?

Yes | No

If you haven't already watched gattaca, you really should.
    I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I sit in front of this computer, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the gym, he gets stronger

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    If you haven't already watched gattaca, you really should.

^This^

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

So I'll have to carry around dog DNA in various forms from now on, just in case I need to contaminate a uhh.... place of interest.

Equipoise

Yes | No

As soon as they can genetically modify me like a Warhammer 40k Space Marine, I'm there.

squashy monster Supporting Member Marrt's Avatar

Yes | No

As an aside. How fucking cool is that! seriously... fucking awesome.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    As an aside. How fucking cool is that! seriously... fucking awesome.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus
    I can't speak for engineers or people in other science fields, but us physics kids are amazed by things like light bulbs and this:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfGZit_sak&feature=related

and I think a lot of people take technology for granted these days is because they simply don't understand how it works. All they know is that you press a button to make it go.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops

and I think a lot of people take technology for granted these days is because they simply don't understand how it works. All they know is that you press a button to make it go.

Quoted for truth

human advancement is awe inspiring. the first time I saw this it brought a tear to my eye.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ

I also consider playing civilization a spiritual experience.
    Last edited by Robot Jesus; 23rd February 09 at 11:49 PM.

Yes | No

as a counterpoint I would like to share that this came up as a related video

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e13RGx1zVV0&feature=related

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

They still won't convict Michael Jackson.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.