Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You For Scuba?

Other food is now Ocelot Supporting Member Tanhalen21's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Are You For Scuba?

So this winter break, I am taking a course to become an Advanced PADI diver with my sister and my dad. We have all been scuba diving / snorkeling a couple times, but obviously nothing too deep since we aren't certified. I'm pretty excited but I obviously have some concerns about deeper diving (the bends, nitrogen narcosis, etc.). I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry about since we'll be accompanied by a PADI certified instructor the whole time and we'll learn about all the precautions and stuff.

Was just wondering if anyone on Sociocide has any experience with scuba diving and such and feels like talking about all things scuba! (I doubt if I'll get any responses but I thought it'd be worth a try anyway). I've been wanting to get certified for a pretty long time so I'm moderately psyched.

Yes | No

First and only time I went under with a tank was on the reef. Seeing a fish the size of a coffee table with me and the wall of reef on my other side... is quite a feeling...

Both shitting ourselves is another thing and we don't speak of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

How is it you're going directly to "Advanced" if you've no certification at all? Unless things have changed, first you get Open Water c-card, then Advanced, then whatever else you might want to pursue.

As for safety, yes they'll teach you how to stay well within the tables.* Which you should learn, or at least learn how to use, even though everyone has fancy-shmancy dive computers these days.

That said, diving is excellent. There's something very relaxing about being able to move in three dimensions without regard to gravity.

Yes | No

Sounds cool in theory...but I don't get it for recreational purposes. What a pain in the ass the equipment is. I certified the YMCA and then a nitrox course...and that was more than enough.

I'd rather be more selective about the venue and snorkel.

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

In a lot of ways I prefer snorkling as well: no need to worry about the maintenance of rental gear, more freedom of movement, less expense.

Even so, there's lots of stuff you simply can't see in 20' of water. And even if you could see them, you might have to wait a bit for them to emerge . . . longer than a lungful's worth.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok
    How is it you're going directly to "Advanced" if you've no certification at all? Unless things have changed, first you get Open Water c-card, then Advanced, then whatever else you might want to pursue.
    Well I'm planning on becoming advanced. The instructor told me I have to complete the first Open Water Certification before I go advanced, so he suggested taking the courses consecutively with dives in between

Yes | No

This pursuit also has more fat-asses with moustaches than law enforcment.

I'll quote myself for truth in a little while.

Yes | No

I was certified Jr. open water and took a trip to Nassau - it was one of the more memorable times of my life. Went on a shark dive, reef wall, night dive, and shipwreck exploration (nothing big, just some old boats and one plane they crashed for a Bond movie).

I liked it way more than snorkeling, but that's just me.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Hein vom Richterbach
    Sounds cool in theory...but I don't get it for recreational purposes. What a pain in the ass the equipment is. I certified the YMCA and then a nitrox course...and that was more than enough.

I'd rather be more selective about the venue and snorkel.
    I'm partially doing it because it opens up a few sweet job opportunities, from what I understand.

Yes | No

YOU WENT ON A SHARK DIVE AND YOU DIDN'T GET EATED?