Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are You For Scuba?

Other food is now Ocelot Supporting Member Tanhalen21's Avatar

Yes | No

I've never really had a problem with getting seasick, and whenever I take dramamine it tends to knock me right the fuck out even if it's the "less drowsy formula." I'm fine while I'm diving but when I get home I'm passed out for 3 or 4 hours. Never taking that shit again.
    Quote Originally Posted by zendetta
    When he kills the african dud with the rear naked choke, you can see he has his hooks in.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you need to know how to swim to get your SCUBA license? Also, I get very frequent asthma attacks. That's okay though, right? I always carry my inhaler with me.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Do you need to know how to swim to get your SCUBA license?
    Not really. Obviously it's pretty useful in case you are forced to do a surface swim or something but really you just have to know how to move your legs up and down (when you swim while diving all it is is alternating moving your legs up and down [with your legs fairly straight]). In fact, you're not supposed to use your arms when you are swimming underwater because you can accidentally knock the regulator out of a buddy's mouth and you use way more energy that way which = using more air. I had this happen to me once at the end of an exhalation, I had to quickly recover it and use the purge button (because I had no air in my lungs to clear the reg) and suck in. I was so pissed.

The instructor who certified me never asked us to swim in any other way other than fins and I imagine that's the same with most if not all instructors.

I would definitely at least attempt to learn how to swim in a pool before I went scuba diving, but paraplegics dive all the time so I'm sure you will be fine.

Also, I get very frequent asthma attacks. That's okay though, right? I always carry my inhaler with me.
    People with asthma dive all the time, but everybody is different so if I were you I'd talk to my doctor because oftentimes each person with asthma has a certain set of conditions they are allowed / not allowed to dive under. But I'm pretty sure there is a very low accident rate with asthmatic divers and of all forms of exercise I would expect diving to be the one that you would be least likely to have an asthma attack from.
    Last edited by Tanhalen21; 23rd December 08 at 03:23 PM.
    When he kills the african dud with the rear naked choke, you can see he has his hooks in.

Yes | No

Okay, let me try this: I am paralyzed from the neck down and can only use 15% of my brain because of getting trampled in a sheep stampede. Can I get a SCUBA license?

Yes | No

Okay, let me try this: I am paralyzed from the neck down and can only use 15% of my brain because of getting trampled in a sheep stampede. Can I get a SCUBA license?
    No

rw4th

Yes | No

I'm sure there's a Caribbean resort somewhere that will be more then happy to cut a few corners and get you certified

not long for this world nihilist's Avatar

Yes | No

Skydiving is fun but deep sea diving seems a little irresponsible.

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    Skydiving is fun but deep sea diving seems a little irresponsible.
    I see it the other way around. Jumping out of a functional airplane, without duress, was the dumbest thing I ever did -- and I hope it remains so. Don't get me wrong: it's fun, but that's about all. It feels like you're thumbing Fate in the eye and hoping he doesn't shoot you in the balls, while knowing that you kind of deserve it.

Oh, and nice av ;-)

Yes | No

I have wanted to go skydiving since I was 17, but I just can't justify spending the money on it at this point.