Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You For Scuba?

Yes | No

Yeah diving is great fun, you will love it, the learning part is pretty easy.

I certified in the army a long time ago. A lot of what posters above is true, great fun, but can be expensive and a pain in the ass maintaining your gear.

On a side note in relation to making money, my brother in law after leaving the army as a medic now works on dive ships he makes $1,000 a day tax free, because all his work is off the coast of Africa or Russia etc. the divers underwater weld the pipes and he regulates the gas up top.

He usually works a month on a month off, so $30,000 in a month, he said he could work non-stop but can't be bothered and is happy making $180,000 a year.

He said that is nothing the deep sea divers/welders are making $5,000 a day, go down in the bubble and work underwater a month at a time (Abyss anyone?)

Great money, you would never get me down there though.

Other food is now Ocelot Supporting Member Tanhalen21's Avatar

Yes | No

They work underwater for a month without coming up? I bet that occupation has a pretty high suicide rate.

Great blue fuck though! $180,000 a year diving! I'm down as all hell! What other training did he have to go through / degrees did he have to get to be able to get that job? What level diver do you have to be?

Yes | No

Look up the death rate, I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Yes | No

The only number I found was from 2002, and the rate was 2 out of 100,000 divers die from diving compared to 22 out of 100,000 drivers.

The Wiki page agrees the death rate for recreational scuba diving is quite low.

Not too shabby, though people who are out of shape / apparently between the ages of 35-45 should get a medical exam before diving and should be super careful about DCS (Decompression Sickness ["the Bends"]).

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Tanhalen21
    They work underwater for a month without coming up? I bet that occupation has a pretty high suicide rate.

Great blue fuck though! $180,000 a year diving! I'm down as all hell! What other training did he have to go through / degrees did he have to get to be able to get that job? What level diver do you have to be?
    I think that kind of training tends only come from the military. I've got friends with similar stories who trained as Navy Clearance Divers in the Australian navy (ie. mine clearance). They then work on oil rigs, pipelines, underwater construction etc. for ridiculous money.

Yes | No

Man, I'd be so down to train as a navy diver.

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Another fascinating job opportunity (I actually met this guy once) is to be the guy who scuba dives down into the tanks when something goes wrong at the sewage treatment works. They make good money too for obvious reasons.

Yes | No

...you can swim through that shit? ewwwww

And yes, i went on two shark dives, one to feed them (we all sat in a circle while the guide put fish heads in the water) and one by a reef wall where they were just swimming around.

The feeding was fun, they told everyone not to point since that's the motion the guide uses to release fish heads, and they didn't want confused sharks thinking your hand was a halibut.

Also, since sharks can detect electromagnetism to some degree, every time one of the underwater cameras went off, three or four sharks would turn to go investigate.

Yes | No

In case you were all wondering, I am now a PADI certified advanced open water diver. I went on some pretty awesome dives over the past week, including the biggest ship ever intentionally sunk which lays at about 130 feet deep and is 510 feet long.
    Quote Originally Posted by zendetta
    When he kills the african dud with the rear naked choke, you can see he has his hooks in.

Yes | No

I am too lazy/stupid to get certified, even though every year I go on resort dives when i can. Got seasick last time and blue chunks as soon as i got up from the dive. Next time I'll takes some dramimine or something.

I have to say, the first time I dove in a decent spot (Cancun & Cozumel) it was an almost life changing experience. I highly recommend it, and it is a lot safer than skiing, or well, martial arts.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross