Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Round Steak Ideas?

Glad the avatars work ok. jkdbuck76's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Bottom Round Steak Ideas?

OK. So my wife is jobless. We no longer have two incomes.... so we are hurting for money and can't live as nice as we once did.

We eat meat. Steak is yummy, but as of late here in the USA, it is so fucking expensive!

Enter: Bottom Round Steaks!

It is a tougher cut of meat, but you can get it for about $2.00 to $4.00 per pound in USD.

So I get a pack of 'em, beat the piss out of 'em with the tenderizer. I stick them in a ziplock bag. I pour in a can of 7-up (acidity, lemon, lime...has natural flavors), throw in some soy sauce, some garlic powder, some EVOO. Let it marinade for 4 days in the fridge. Then I cook for 45 minutes on indirect heat.

Not too bad.

Anybody have any recipes to help this not-so-rich guy feed himself, his wife and his son?
    “Anyone can become angry – that is easy, but to be angry with the right person at the right time and for the right purpose and in the right way – that is not within everyone’s power and that is not easy.”

- Aristotle

Yes | No

Since there are no pictures, I might as well be the first to add that the Bengals are hilariously terrible....as always.

Yes | No

yes. the bengals blow goats.
    “Anyone can become angry – that is easy, but to be angry with the right person at the right time and for the right purpose and in the right way – that is not within everyone’s power and that is not easy.”

- Aristotle

Yes | No

If you are marinating, try vinegar and brown sugar, instead of, ugh, 7-Up. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little just there. Add spices to taste. I'm a fan of Montreal Steak Spice - not sure if that's just a Canadian thing or not.

Instead of pounding with a tenderizer, let the vinegar do the work for you. 4 days in the fridge is a long time. Try 2 days.

Instead of indirect heat, use direct heat, but not a long time. For 1" thick, 6 minutes/side should be enough. If the vinegar has done its job, the steak should be tender, and you won't be killing it all over again. I've done this before, and my family likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

Try some mojo criollo for marinade. It's good on beef or chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

marinate in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and garlic (i can get soy sauce and rice vinegar for less than $ 2/bottle) overnight. grill or broil and serve with rice (i've been eating brown basmati lately, way better for you than white but not much different texturally) and your choice of vegetables. i like asparagus or green beans. peas and corn maybe. kai lan (chinese broccoli, more bitter green but really good for you) sauteed in garlic if you can find it.
    Last edited by Neildo; 3rd November 08 at 04:59 PM.
    Mockery is an important social tool for squelching stupidity. -Scott Adams.

Yes | No

Sorry I didn't splain this earlier: my wife has food allergies and intolerances.
    I can't just grab any marinade off the shelf.

7-up as an acidic marinade....don't know it til you try it. Just be careful when cooking so you don't torch the sugar.

Feryk, what kind of vinegar? Apple cider? White?

- Aristotle

Yes | No

I would start with white because that's kind of the standard for the North American pallette. If you are more adventurous, you could use Malt Vinegar, or Red Wine Vinegar, but that can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

Yes | No

What's she allergic to? I've had to cook for garlic and rosemary allergies. Both of 'em would go into anaphalactic shock if I didn't avoid the offending spice.

Do some googling at foodchannel or cooks.com for the basics and you can pretty much alter recipes once you get the technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .