Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydrogen Injection?

SFGOON

Yes | No

Default Hydrogen Injection?

So if I were to make a hydrogen injector for my car would it really save that much gas? I can see how that would work in theory. I can also see how combusting hydrogen would produce a lot of water in my exhaust system.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Hydrogen is great, but how do you acquire it? If you have an electrolysis machine in your car splitting water to get the hydrogen, then you aren't getting much back, because burning hydrogen simply makes it fuse back with oxygen and that's how you get water. AT MOST you'll get back what you put in. Usually a lot less.

Now, the caveat of this is I heard a guy mixing hydrogen with his fuel, which I don't know what affects it can have. Maybe it makes the whole process more efficient so even though you don't break even on the hydrogen burning part, it makes the gasoline burn more efficiently so you get a net gain?

My opinion: bullshit.

Yes | No

Yes, but stealing hydrogen and making it work would make for great savings.

Because YOU'RE not the one making it. Some other guy is...and then you're stealing it.

SFgoon doesn't care about the earth. This is hi-tech coupon clipping.

Yes | No

i predict

Last edited by Neildo; 1st June 08 at 02:29 AM.
    Mockery is an important social tool for squelching stupidity. -Scott Adams.

Home Brewer Extraordinair Keith's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    AT MOST you'll get back what you put in. Usually a lot less.
    Doesn't ye olde Second Law of Thermodynamics guarantee that you will always bet back less than you put in?

Sirc

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    So if I were to make a hydrogen injector for my car would it really save that much gas? I can see how that would work in theory. I can also see how combusting hydrogen would produce a lot of water in my exhaust system.
    People have been doing this for years. I know it better as alcohol injection or water injection.

I had a car that had alcohol injection in it and I used it to essentially just raise the octane and be able to run higher boost without predetonation and having the pistons have sex with the valves.

Injecting hydrogen or whatever is the same concept as alcohol or water injection. Basically you will be injecting an atomized mixture of 50% water and 50% methanol/alcohol/ethanol/whatever into your intake stream producing not only a colder air charge but also increasing the octane of the fuel by making it combust slower. It does actually increase your fuel mileage, but you have to have it tuned for it.

That gets pretty technical so I won't really go into it, but basically, if it's tuned for it, you'll get much better gas mileage. My car that had water injection (50/50 of water and rubbing alcohol) got 35mpg and made 300whp in a 2500lbs car. Pretty good considering it was rated stock at only 22mpg.

If you REALLY want to get the best gas mileage out of your car with modifications, get some sort of piggy back ECU or go with a complete stand alone ECU (Not recommended in California, the environmentalists hate cars and don't understand them) and have it part throttle tuned for gas mileage. My friend's 450whp 11 second 1/4 mile drag racing Civic gets 45mpg on the "street tune" which nets him 350whp and 45mpg. While his "race tune" gets him like 11mpg and 450whp. Once it's tuned you literally flip a switch and it goes into whatever tune you want out of it.

Edit: Edited for grammar shit.
    Last edited by Sirc; 1st June 08 at 03:36 AM.

SFGOON

Yes | No

Does this tuning involve replacing the camshaft? (The spinning bar of lumps that moves the valves?)

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

What the christing velociraptior shitwad gay jesus is going in this thread, hmmm???

By 'hydrogen' are you talking about the close to zero degree kelvin liquid that would probably crack any of the metal parts it came into contact with and freeze your engine solid, or are you talking about the gas that like, requires orders of magnitude more physical volume per kilojoule than petroleum. Or is this an appalingly mechanically illiterate way of asking 'can you recommend to me a hydrogen fuel-cell car please' or asking 'umm.. can I really run a car on water like that advert on Alex Jones' site said'?

Or are you talking about alcohol compounds that have hydrogen atoms in their molecules ?

Inquiring minds are puzzled by this SFGOON. I always thought you were a reasonably smart no-bullshit kind of guy.
    Last edited by Cullion; 1st June 08 at 10:35 AM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

SFGOON

Yes | No

Some redneck told me that he was able to improve the gas mileage of his truck by making an electrolosis chamber out of PVC piping and copper/zinc washers. He placed the works in his trunk and ran the collected hydrogen into his intake manifold. The car isn't running exclusively off hydrogen, it's just being used to create more volume when the fuel is combusted.

It seemed feasable to me. The extra electricity generated by the alternator goes to hydrogen production which is used to improve efficency.

how do robot Supporting Member Arhetton's Avatar

Yes | No

interestingly enough, the element palladium is able to absorb up to 900 times its own volume of hydrogen gas, and it is a reversible process. Unfortunately its very expensive and rare. I've considered investing in palladium as a commodity because the hydrogen economy has hardly (if it ever will) taken off, but if it did the value would skyrocket in my opinion.

Of course, there could be a potential synthetic solution that mimicked the palladium effect, which would be truly amazing and world changing.