Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I know Kung Fu... movies

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Stop making fun of my martial art guys.
    Out of curiousity, in your opinion, did they actually use any Tai Chi Chuan in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

They toss around the Wudang mountains a lot, and in the original novel I think that's the style Mu Bai learnt. Didn't really look like TCC to me, though.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Yes | No

Sword of Many Lovers starring Leon Lai was my favorite wire-fu movie. There was iceskating on mellon rinds, hilarious missuse of poisons, and a climatic fight battle inside a whirlwind.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Out of curiousity, in your opinion, did they actually use any Tai Chi Chuan in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

I remember an interview with the director saying he wanted Mu Bai to look like he'd done 'wudang' styles.

They toss around the Wudang mountains a lot, and in the original novel I think that's the style Mu Bai learnt. Didn't really look like TCC to me, though.
    I think the choreographer took poses and moves out of 'internal style' (bagua, xing yi, tcc) forms (empty hand and weapons). I remember an interview with the director where he said he wanted Mu Bai to look like a 'wudang' master with a distinct flavour from the more usual Shaolin stuff.

As you'd expect, it's all massively stylised (as are the moves in forms).

Did it look like 'stylised TCC' ?

Maybe some of the sword moves look like stuff I've seen the form. If I'd wanted to make the unarmed stuff look more like 'stylised movie TCC', I'd have put a lot more big throws in, and less poking pressure points and kicking.
    Last edited by Cullion; 27th May 08 at 08:45 PM.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Registered Member RickTheCritic's Avatar

Yes | No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHtL5Xfebc

1:51!!!!!!!!

Cmon Tarantino has to remake this

Yes | No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6A5mdWPmDA

Yuen Biao is my favourite of the favourite martial art movie stars. He was part of the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao Trifecta of movie actors. They did a ton of movies together.

This clip is the end fight scene from a movie (I had to import it 8 /) "Iceman Cometh" starring Biao and Maggie Cheung. Quality flick.

He has plenty of goods to offer, though he is not as famous as most.
    Forty years I've been at sea. A war at sea. A war with no battles, no monuments... only casualties

-<>-

Zendetta

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Manti$
    I prefer the old chop socky Shaw Brothers films over the new wire-fu movies.
    Orders of magnitude.

My favs: [Iron Fist and Five Fingers of Death.

Yes | No

Wasn't he in Kung Fu Hustle? Or just someone who looks like him at age 50?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Zendetta

Yes | No

Wing Chun with Michelle Leoh is great. As is Tai ji Master 1 and 2.

Circle of Iron is probably my favorite martial arts film. If only it had been directly blessed by St. Bruce.