Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Americans Don't Like Football.

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Why Americans Don't Like Football.

A refreshing take on the matter. Americans don't like football out of some strange sort of phillistinism*: it's just they've got so many other sports to choose from...

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/3624/

...It is an undisputed fact that most Americans donít really like football. This failure to Ďgetí football is often interpreted by Brits as a sign of American insularity and philistinism. Exhibit A, mílud, is that the Yanks donít like draws. They want to see a winner. They want shoot-outs to settle games. Exhibit B is that Americans donít like low-scoring games. The only thing that Americans hate more than 0-0 draws is Osama bin Laden. So short is the average Americanís concentration span that, unless thereís a goal every two minutes, theyíre trotting off to the catering stall to buy another chill dog. Exhibit C is the fact that they insist on calling it Ďsoccerí. Mílud, I rest my case.

If we look beyond this kind of crude anti-Americanism we find a rich and sophisticated sporting culture in the US. American sports fans are every bit as knowledgeable and passionate about the sports they follow as European or Latin American football fans. Indeed, like it or not, despite our instinctive antipathy towards the Disneyfication of English football, there are some US sporting prototypes that have successfully made the transition across the Pond (and no, I donít mean big furry mascots or cheerleaders)...

...Indeed, much as I love football, I think itís a good thing if American sports fans donít clamber aboard the Beckham bandwagon. It shows that ordinary Americans, so often ridiculed as dumb and suggestible, arenít easily seduced by marketing hard sell. The US sporting public has doggedly ignored previous attempts to flog soccer to them, such as the ill-fated North American Soccer League and the big promotional pushes that accompanied the1994 World Cup and the 1999 womenís World Cup. The fact is that a football culture cannot be mechanistically transplanted or imposed on to other societies; it has to develop organically.

* Actually, you can't get much more phillistine than football players and fans, IMHO. That said, the likes of Michael Vick et al are doing their bit for Old Glory's sporting chav scum credentials too...

The Doctor Will See You Now... Olorin's Avatar

Yes | No

Here is my take, we view "football" as a children's sport. Not a sport that real men play.

I am not saying that this is right but it is how we view it.

Yes | No

I believe soccer (GASP I said it) is the most physically draining and demanding team sport . Eleven men to cover all of that ground, for 90 Minutes .
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while. Supporting Member Iscariot's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Here is my take, we view "football" as a children's sport. Not a sport that real men play.

I am not saying that this is right but it is how we view it.
    Yes, but according to the majority, a 'man's sport' is one where you wear 100lbs of protective gear to play Rugby wrong.

Plus I disagree with the article when it says American fans are every bit as knowledgeable as other fans. That's complete rubbish and I hold up some of the interviews taken during and after the 2005 US Grand Prix as Exhibit A.

Shawarma

Yes | No

And yet "Baseball", a sport about a bunch of queers hitting a ball with a stick with no physical contact whatsoever is your national pasttime. How is that any more manly?

Yes | No

I read that and heard the voices of John Cleese, Terry Jones and Eric Idle. ;)

Um.. Baseball is BORING. Basketball and Hockey are too fast. Rugby turns men into animals. American Football is fun. European football/Soccer is probably fun, but has been besmirched here by what we call "Soccer Moms" and their mini vans.

At least that's my take on it, but I'm not really into sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

American Football might be fun if they didn't keep stopping every thirteen seconds for a committee meeting.

Shawarma

Yes | No

Hockey is gruesome. I know an old Hockey player that is semi-crippled at age 26 and has inflicted as much damage as he has taken, most notably slicing off the fingers of somebody by running over them with his skates.

Hockey is so badass that Satan plays it:

Shawarma

Yes | No

A most underrated team sport: 43 man squamish!

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversi...pics-wide.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .