Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dying Art Of Verbal Abuse In Cricket.

Hein vom Richterbach adored! Photobucket Truculent Sheep's Avatar

Yes | No

Default The Dying Art Of Verbal Abuse In Cricket.

A true Gentleman's sport...

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/4263/

... As is customary in this column I find myself having to champion the dark art of verbal abuse in sport. Sledging has been widespread in cricket since the early 1960s when the Aussies first coined the term. In my view sledging is an entirely legitimate part of the game. When Sri Lankan skipper Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner during a one-day international against Australia, wicketkeeper Ian Healey quipped: ‘You don’t get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat cunt.’ Sexual slurs about a player’s wife are favoured weapons in the sledger’s armoury. ‘How’s your wife and my kids?’ Rod Marsh famously asked Ian Botham...

...The problem isn’t that sledging has got out of hand. Rather it’s that Australia’s old ‘larrikin’ culture of irreverence and mockery, in which cricketers were considered robust enough to trade insults, is giving way to a new thin-skinned, easily-offended culture. It’s an old cliché that what’s said on the field of play stays on the field of play. Sure, the taunts and slurs might not be pleasant but they are forgotten in the pavilion afterwards. But, increasingly, what’s said on the field of play gets picked up by the stump microphones or else reported to the umpires. The most pathetic thing about the Bollyline dispute is seeing the Aussies, who practically invented sledging, running crying to the authorities when they get a taste of their own medicine.

If the Aussies didn’t like what Harbhajan Signh said to Andrew Symonds, the answer wasn’t to tell tales to the umpire but return the compliment, so to speak. They should have followed the example of former Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes when he was being taunted by Aussie fast bowler Glenn McGrath. ‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes. Now that’s the way to deal with a bit of name-calling.

Yes | No

I approve of taunts in sports. In hockey, you can get an Unsportsmanlike Conduct (minor) penalty for taunting opponents, but they're seldom given out. What's the backstory on this? What was said?
    DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    ‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes.
    That's fantastic.

As long as everyone's happy to play along, I have no problem with this.

If the cricket authorities really want to clean it up, they should do it thoroughly and precisely.

At the moment, they really don't care, but everyone has to keep up the charade of politeness and care. (Nothing wrong with politeness and care, as long as they're real.)
    "Even logical positivists are capable of love." - A.J. Ayer

Yes | No

Yes, there is, politeness and care translate to politically correct and faggy, in American.
    DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS

Yes | No

Politely put, Sir.
    "Even logical positivists are capable of love." - A.J. Ayer

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Yes, there is, politeness and care translate to politically correct and faggy, in American.
    America may be the one country on the planet that actually needs political correctness.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

No, I think we need it more in Canada, you see, we have Quebec...and they tend to blow things up and kidnap Britons when we bug them too much...and even when we don't bug them, they threaten to leave and flush our economy and our confederation down the toilet.
    DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    America may be the one country on the planet that actually needs political correctness.
    Nah, let the riots start.....

Yes | No

They should have followed the example of former Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes when he was being taunted by Aussie fast bowler Glenn McGrath. ‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes. Now that’s the way to deal with a bit of name-calling.
    LOL ! the sparkling word play and jibe-joust that this example displays, is why cricket is FAR elevated among sports :)

Instead of the boring cricket-show being shown during the luncheon break (Test match cricket is a 5 or 6 day game) , they could show Worlds funniest sledging reactions .

This piece was written after one of the curry-munchers called Andrew Symonds a Monkey . Thing is, Symonds does infact, look like a monkey .
    Last edited by Yiktin Voxbane; 16th January 08 at 10:04 PM.
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Registered Member staff EuropIan's Avatar

Yes | No

Forget the cricket.. Just make the game around insults

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAmYKrNmh3Y
    You are Ian's plaything, responding to his touch with shrieks of orgasmic delight. No woman in the history of the world is having better sex than sex you are having with Ian... in my head.