Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tacos: a taste from home

Will she be set upon you? jubei33's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Tacos: a taste from home

Ever been far away from home, feeling that dread, overwhelming homesickness? Ah time for some comfort food: tacos. Japan is only now starting to catch on to the goodness that is tacos. There's one problem: they're bland and don't taste like tacos. time for some taco DIY.

step 1: tortillas. mix 3 cups flour, a tsp salt, 1.5 tsp baking powder in a bowl. mix well. Cut in 4-5 tablespoons shortening. blend all that in and then add some warm water. You're going to make a dough so not too much and not too little is the key, maybe like a cup or so. You don't want it sticky, kind of like pizza dough.

let it sit for like 10 minutes, then heat up a fry pan on low heat. Pinch off some golf ball sized balls and use a rolling pin to roll them flat. (Circles are better) heat in pan.

let them sit some where warm while you finish the rest of the stuff.

step 2: taco meat and beans. heat oil add some garlic. add onions and nice peppers of your choice. saute them nice and then remove. Add meat in pan and cook nicely, then mix in the veggies again. Heat up a can of beans. Drain oil off of meat, then add in spices: salt red and black pepper, paprika, etc.

Next spring: salsa, tasty salsa.
    Last edited by jubei33; 3rd January 08 at 07:27 PM.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Could you give us non-americans more details about what 'taco meat' and 'spices etc..' means in a proper taco?

I've tried 'mexican' food in the UK, but it was obviously a crappy version of it that had been taken out of a packet and heated up in a microwave by british people who had no idea how to cook mexican food.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Shawarma

Yes | No

Hey Cullion, where does one go to get decent fast food in the UK? Any specific tradition?

Yes | No

no sorry, if you don't know by now you'll never know.

just kidding. any kind of ground beef will do or chicken....fish? And the spices: salt, red pepper, a pinch of black pepper, paprika. garlic, onion, ah yeah a little cumin too (I forgot, my bad) that ones kind of important, and a pinch or two of sugar. All of this is to your taste by the way.

this is probably more of an americanized version of tacos though. I think Mexicans would probably use a bunch of mole or some other salsa. Maybe we have some Mexicans around that can fix it their way, but this is what I grew up with...

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Hey Cullion, where does one go to get decent fast food in the UK? Any specific tradition?
    Are you playing with me Shawarma? Assuming you're not, my favourite takeaway is Thai. There are plenty of Thai takeaways in the South East now. I dunno about the rest of the country. You should be able to find at least one decent Curry House or Chinese Restaurant within 30 minutes of where you live.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Shawarma

Yes | No

Often, yes, but not at the moment. Because the local chip shops aren't that impressive, fastfoodically speaking.

Where do go 4 eatz?

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Often, yes, but not at the moment. Because the local chip shops aren't that impressive, fastfoodically speaking.

Where do go 4 eatz?
    I answered above, but basically the answer is to go Asian or spend lots of money on a restaurant meal.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

what kind of curry do you guys like? Sag paneer, anyone?

Yes | No

I avoid South Asian curry these days because it's mostly cooked with a lot of ghee (clarified butter), and I'm trying to lose weight. I used to like bhuna and dupiaza. If I wanted a spicey-food endorphin rush I'd eat chicken madras with cold beer on hand.

Thai has the spice without all the butter/oil and they keep the vegetables fresh and crunchy.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Yes | No

yeah, thai is pretty good. I used to work at a place that made good pad thai, but after making it all the time I got tired of it. but then some green curry with eggplant, yum.