Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Find problems with my brilliant plan.

Yes | No

Default Find problems with my brilliant plan.

So my comp is getting old, and I was thinking. A PS3 is way more powerful than anything on the market.

I can get one for $250 ish and ten games from EB games

I can then install Linux, and a windows emulator.

Then I can have the most hardcore of gaming PCs.

is this a horribly flawed idea?

SFGOON

Yes | No

I tried that plan years ago with an Xbox. It worked out poorly for me. You will need a Linux distro which has all the proprietary drivers for the PS3, which I guess you could harvest out of PS3's OS (Which is Linux.)

Just slap WinE in there and you're off. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING FIRST. I've used Linux exclusively for about a year now and I'd be scared to do what you're thinking of.

Here you go buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

And WinE is at winehq.com - it can emulate anything from windows 95 to Vista, and everything in between. There are packages that will allow you to play older machine's games, such as gsnes or GFCE or Gens, but don't expect to be able to emulate an Xbox or Wii with that setup.
    Last edited by SFGOON; 14th October 07 at 01:29 AM.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus
    A PS3 is way more powerful than anything on the market
    what

Yes | No

8 core prosesor

MrGalt

Yes | No

Sorry man, but be logical. I'm not a geek or engineer of any kind. In fact, I'm not even going to bother looking up the actual statistics to tell you that a $499 toy is NOT the most powerful computer on the market.

Maybe I'm missing the attempt at humor here.

Yes | No

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...7-6063292.html
    Installing Linux, then using this service may work. If not, can you pay me back for the 30 minutes I spent looking it up by posting pictures of you forced to play Lair. I'd like for you to be crying in these pictures.

If I die before I wake.. Cullion's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus
    8 core prosesor
    8 parallel processors does not automatically make a system more powerful for a given task. Many tasks cannot easily be parallelised and things like IO between disk and RAM, the speed at which the single processor which the task can be executed on runs at etc.. are the bottleneck.
    ONE SOUL AT A TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    i got nothing, you win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I trust God more than I trust you. And that will never change. I've always viewed you as kind of a snake. No biblical connotations need apply, just the regular ones. You're wise. You're really intelligent. But you're also conniving and have this way of getting what you want when you want it. The sickness I was talking about was your propensity to kind of reach in and grasp on to something to define someone here. You harangue them about it and manipulate it in to conversations. You do that with every single poster here. You do this until they see things your way. The "correct way". It's vile.

Yes | No

I could be wrong as this is the length and berth of my understanding on the comparative processing power of the PS3.

And I only vaguely know what a floating point operation is.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL dude, that has nothing to do with power. It's a statistic of how many people are using the Folding program, which is something that analyses data for a cure for cancer or something like that.

In any case, that list has nothing to do with hardware, it's entirely OS based, which further makes me go "WTF?".

No, the PS3, or any console, is NOT better than anything out on the market. The Xbox (first one) was a shitty computer stuck inside of a box. Why did it run so well? Because that's all it was for. A normal computer has an OS that needs to take care of anything the user can imagine. A console only has to make sure the games run and dedicate itself specifically to that task. No security issues, etc.

Also, a PS3 for $250 and 10 games? Where?

Yes | No

we call it EBGames, you call it gamespot. I'm thinking about taking a bunch of my old console shit and trading in myself. i want a 360 though, I'll get a PS3 next year maybe. I waited at least a year before buying both the PS1 and the PS2.