Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock Review

Self-imposed Supporting Member Mas's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Bioshock Review

If you have ever played a computer game and "thought it was pretty fun" get Bioshock.

Atmosphere, gameplay, difficulty, and pace are all right on and top notch. Setting is reminiscent of Fallout except in an underwater Utopia gone awry.

Do yourself a favor and get this game.

Yes | No

Well,um....So what was the atomsphere like, what was the game play like, how hard was it, how is the pace, in what ways is the game reminiscent of fallout; how are these things "all right and top notch?"

Yes | No

Ah well, I'll further get into it, I didn't want to make the review long-winded like I usually do.

Atmosphere in Bioshock is like post World War II Leave it to Beaver in an underwater dystopia. Essentially what was the concept of this underwater city/country was to get away from major governments and religious institutions to free artists, scientists, and free thinkers from having their research or art or whatever from being censored. Unfortunately something very wrong goes on in Rapture (the name of the city) and this ideal concept falls to ruin.
    The primary antagonist throughout much of the game is the man who built Rapture, and he is realistically crazy and long-winded.

You start out in a plane that quickly goes down somewhere over the ocean. You are the lone survivor of the flight and have to make your way to Rapture to survive.

The style in Rapture is Art Deco reminscent of the 30's, and it seems like every single hallway is original and fresh, which is a major divergence from a lot of FPS games recently. Atmospherically the game has a dark feel, and it almost seems like water is reclaiming every part of the city making it accordingly quite murky.

Gameplay is very heavy on gunplay, and you have your standard assortment of weapons. Pistol, machine gun, rocket launcher etc. One of the cool things about bioshock is that every weapon has an alternate ammo type. Ap rounds for the pistol heat seeking rpgs for the rocket launcher etc.

Where the game really shines though is in the plasmid powers. Essentially plasmids are like force powers. Force lightning, telekinesis etc. however they are essentially bought with genetic material called ADAM. You rewrite your DNA with ADAM and get to use the environment to defeat your enemies. Are three guys standing in a pool of water? Don't waste ammo on them all, zap the water and kill all three. You get the picture.

You get ADAM in one way, little sisters. Little sisters are these evil looking genetically altered little girls who go around extracting ADAM from dead bodies. You have two choices, you can either save the little sister, removing the genetically altering parasite from their body and get a little ADAM, or you can harvest the girl getting a lot of ADAM but killing her in the process. It won't be easy as they have huge bodyguards called Big Daddies who are when you first meet them, terrifying to behold.

Though you will die a few times throughout the game, you will just be respawned at a checkpoint. It definately speeds the game along, but at a cost of difficulty.

There never seems to be enough ammo in this game, and it really forces you to be creative with your plasmids and your ammunition. You've got to be cost effective and get the maximum bang for your buck, upping the difficulty factor substantially.

This game reminded me of Fallout by the homage to the PSAs of the 1950's, and how the SPECIAL system in Fallout is to some degree streamlined in Bioshock. Not only can you get combat plasmids, but you can also alter your characters safe cracking ability, his security skill, and his medical skill, to some degree like in Fallout. It is a surprisingly deep system.

Oh, and it has multiple endings depending on how good or evil you are.

Again to summarize, if you don't have this game, get it. Do yourself a favor.

Yes | No

and no mention of Rand? im disapointed in you

Senior Member Photobucket Sun Wukong's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    . One of the cool things about bioshock is that every weapon has an alternate ammo type.
    Correction: every weapon has TWO alternate ammo types.

Though you will die a few times throughout the game, you will just be respawned at a checkpoint. It definately speeds the game along, but at a cost of difficulty.
    Clarification: You don't respawn at check points. You respawn at the exact moment of your death to the nearest respawning area or "Vita-Chamber." There aren't really any checkpoints in the game.

There never seems to be enough ammo in this game, and it really forces you to be creative with your plasmids and your ammunition. You've got to be cost effective and get the maximum bang for your buck, upping the difficulty factor substantially.
    I have to disagree with you flatly here. I had abundant levels of ammunition except for about halfway through the first chapter. If you use your tonics in just the right way, the only thing you really need ammo for is Big Daddies and when surrounded by multiple gun wielding opponents who were attacking from different directions simultaneously.

As soon as you get the defensive shock tonic, and a sports boost tonic you become a smashing machine. If you load up both the Electric Eel lightening booster tonics, both defensive shock tonics, both sports boosts, and both wrench jockey tonics melee really is the most effective weapon against most foes.

Also, all you need is 100 electro-gel, the lvl one lightening booster and the chemical launcher after that point to take down a big daddy. Use the lvl 2 defensive shock tonic and Big Daddies instantly become your bitch.

Oh, and it has multiple endings depending on how good or evil you are.
    Shit, I guess I got the ultra good guy, I'm a super hero and everybody loves me ending where I died of old age in a nursing home surrounded by freed little sisters. What are the other endings?

Oh yeah, and this game TOTALLY ROCKS! BEST. GAME. EVAR!
    Hail Hydra!

In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him. - Nietzsche

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by chris_ketchens
    Clarification: You don't respawn at check points. You respawn at the exact moment of your death to the nearest respawning area or "Vita-Chamber." There aren't really any checkpoints in the game.
    Oh semantics! I was on my way out!

I have to disagree with you flatly here. I had abundant levels of ammunition except for about halfway through the first chapter. If you use your tonics in just the right way, the only thing you really need ammo for is Big Daddies and when surrounded by multiple gun wielding opponents who were attacking from different directions simultaneously.
    So like throughout the game?

I didn't think about melee skill stacks though, well done

Shit, I guess I got the ultra good guy, I'm a super hero and everybody loves me ending where I died of old age in a nursing home surrounded by freed little sisters. What are the other endings?
    Me too! Puppies and hugs for everyone!

Oh yeah, and this game TOTALLY ROCKS! BEST. GAME. EVAR!
    Truf.

Yes | No

I must be a scumbag because I harvested the shit out of 12 of them and one day I'll take over the world. I am Jack's repressed wraith.

Who is Atlas?

And thanks, Ketchens, for the good combinations.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 30th August 07 at 02:22 AM.

Yes | No

I just played the demo last night, pretty cool.

May have to pick it up next month... Might help me break my horrible Guitar Hero II habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Steve wasn't in CTC but he's one of us in spirit. I can't explain it.
    <3

SHARK FARTS!

Senior Member Photobucket Sun Wukong's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Who is Atlas?

That's a pretty big spoiler, I don't want to ruin the surprise.
    Hail Hydra!

In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him. - Nietzsche

Yes | No

I know already. I mentioned it because it was written the walls as props to an Ayn Rand.