Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flytech Dragonfly (Best toy ever)

KidSpatula

Yes | No

Default Flytech Dragonfly (Best toy ever)

So today Kat and I decided to make a trip to Toys R Us to see what silly things we could waste money on to entertain our child like brains. Seems these days the toys that I could only dream about as a kid looking through toy magazines are now actually accessible to a mere mortal like myself. One such toy that caught my eye was the Flytech Dragonfly by Wowwee (the company that makes the Robosapiens).

Upon looking over the slick and all too cool looking toy we were pretty taken in but pretty skeptical that it could actually be as cool as it looked. We decided though that it was a freakin' remote control bug that FLEW LIKE A BUG, and if it worked AT ALL it would be pretty awesome. After some deliberation and some comparison to other flying toys (Kat was tempted by the mosquito RC helicopter, which was a bit more expensive and didn't look as much like a bug but had the ability to hover in place) and my best puppy dog eyes we went home with the Dragonfly.

When we got it home, we put in the batteries and charged it up (a pretty simple process) and took it for a test flight. Well, our initial flights had less than stellar results and I started to get a bit disappointed. We'd launch the bug and send it crashing face first pretty much immediately almost every time. After a bit of trying we got better and better and were able to make flights of about 5 seconds or so. I was a little frustrated but was having fun with the little progress I was making. After a bit we went back in and looked up some videos of people actually flying this thing successfully. This one in particular raised my enthusiasm for the toy:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz0XNGJ-ep8

So after reading some tips on how to fly and a bit more practice, I've gotten it down where I can fly this bad boy pretty much until the battery loses power and have really good directional and altitude control. I've seen videos of people doing lots of cool tricks with these things like loop de loops and dives, but I've only been playing with this thing for one evening ;)

Some details:

takes 6 AA batteries for the controller and has a permanent rechargeable battery in the bug. The bug's battery lasts for about 10 minutes of flight (give or take a few minutes) and is recharged via the power from the controller (this can done about 10 times per set of batteries).

The range from the controller is about 50 feet.

As for giving this to your kids, it seems to be a pretty durable toy so I think it'd be a pretty good present so long as they don't get easily frustrated with their toys. It is something you need to learn to use so giving it to your hyperactive 6 year old as a toy could mean disaster. Adult supervision with kids under 12 or so would probably be a smart idea.

Price: $50 at Toys R Us (though we got it for $40 since they were having a sale)

Another cool thing is that if you do a google search on it you'll find a bunch of forums where people have instructions for simple mods they've done to improve the flights of their dragonflies, in addition to some other useful info on maximizing how much you get out of the toy.

Self-imposed Supporting Member Mas's Avatar

Yes | No

It's a slippery slope...

Yes | No

Neato!

Anna Kovacs

Yes | No

This thing was so crazy cool and fun that we went to Toys R us again today and bought another one.

The Doctor Will See You Now... Olorin's Avatar

Yes | No

I saw a similar toy on TV. It was tiny remote control helicopter for about 50 dollars. Toys today are so cool.

Registered Member noob kismasher's Avatar

Yes | No

makes that helicopter on string i had look like a piece of frickin' crap.

Anna Kovacs

Yes | No

I remember looking at RC flying things back when I was a kid and they were like 200-300 dollars.

You sure didnt get anything decent for 50 bucks.

They dont fly very well even in slight wind but they're very awesome and amazingly controllable.

We added a little folded peice of aluminum foil to the heads of ours to reduce the "porposing" effect you see in the video ashly posted.

We're now easily flying these things 25-35 feet up in the air.

Zendetta

Yes | No

How long til you mount a gun on it?

KidSpatula

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    I saw a similar toy on TV. It was tiny remote control helicopter for about 50 dollars. Toys today are so cool.
    The Micro Mosquito Helicopter (I think that's what it was called) looked pretty cool with it's hovering ability and all, but it seems to be a difficult task to make it go in directions other than up or down.

This thing has such surprisingly precise controls once you get used to keeping it in the air. You can slow it to just about a hover or zip it around. I've had the thing zipping past or flying at a nice controlled pace as I walk to the park or mailbox. On expert mode the turning radius is awesomely tight. I've also had a lot of success flying it a foot or two off the ground or as high as 30 or so feet in the air. The only real downside to this thing is the short battery life on the bug, which isn't so bad. You can still get some pretty satisfying flight times in before having to recharge, and recharge only takes 20 minutes.

KidSpatula

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    How long til you mount a gun on it?
    I wanted to put some lights like the ones on this guys gloves on it

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u41yH5k-B4E

until I realized it was waaay too light to not be thrown off by even a single one