Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New French President Under Fire for Jogging.

The Doctor Will See You Now... Olorin's Avatar

Yes | No

New French President Under Fire for Jogging.

Critics sock it to Sarkozy for jogging

Charles Bremner, Paris
    July 05, 2007

FRENCH President Nicolas Sarkozy has fallen foul of intellectuals and critics who see his passion for jogging as un-French, right-wing and even a ploy to brainwash his citizens.

Attacks on Mr Sarkozy's pastime, which he has made a symbol of his presidency, began on the internet as soon as he bounded up the steps of the Elysee Palace in shorts when he took office in May. That has become the icon of his hyper-energetic administration. The grumbling has now moved to television and the press.

"Is jogging right-wing?" wondered Liberation, the left-wing newspaper.

Alain Finkelkraut, a celebrated philosopher, begged Mr Sarkozy on France 2, the main state television channel, to abandon his "undignified" pursuit. He should take up walking, like Socrates, the poet Arthur Rimbaud and other great men, Mr Finkelkraut said:

"Western civilisation, in its best sense, was born with the promenade. Walking is a sensitive, spiritual act. Jogging is management of the body. The jogger says I am in control. It has nothing to do with meditation."

Until "Speedy Sarko" won office, French heads of state shunned physical exercise in public. The late Francois Mitterrand was privately partial to golf, but the reflective stroll was his public trademark.

Jogging caught on in France, as elsewhere, in the 1980s and eight million claim to indulge. But Mr Sarkozy has rekindled a French suspicion that the habit is for self-centered individualists such as the Americans who popularized it.

"Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the Right," Odile Baudrier, editor of V02 magazine, a sports publication, told Liberation. Sports sociologist Patrick Mignon noted that French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt, while totalitarian regimes cultivated physical fitness.

Beyond the self-promotion, some commentators see something sinister in the media fascination with le jogging de Supersarko. The "hypnotic" daily images of presidential running are not innocent, said Daniel Schneidermann, a media critic.

He said Mr Sarkozy used the video images of his jogging as "a major weapon of media manipulation". And some experts have questioned Mr Sarkozy's running style and say that he is not helped by being overweight.

The Times

I wonder what they would say of Putin’s pastime?
    Last edited by Olorin; 5th July 07 at 10:43 PM.

Yes | No

Mind-bogglingly whacko .
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Yes | No

People are quite bored in France nowadays?
    Have you viddied the horrorshow Martial Arts and Fight Videos and Clips forum yet?

ironhill - If this is in the wrong forum please flame the shit out of me.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

What they need is to bring back the guillotine. But they'll never be able to catch those damn joggers with their running. =/

Registered Member ThaiBoxerShorts's Avatar

Yes | No

Wow. I didn't know jogging had a political affiliation.

I jog. Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?
    Science will replace religion. Knowledge will replace faith. Understanding will eliminate fear.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?
    Well...ya.

Dam fascist.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Wow. I didn't know jogging had a political affiliation.

I jog. Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?
    I see people biking around the school campus. I can tell that they are leftist yuppies. God damn them.

Registered Member ThaiBoxerShorts's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Well...ya.

Dam fascist.
    ...but I'm not a "jogging enthusiast." In fact, I pretty much hate it. I consider it a necessary evil.

Besides, sometimes when I jog, I wear t-shirts advertizing radical Leftist organizations like Planned Parenthood, the Democratic National Committee, and CNN. So I think it balances out.
    Science will replace religion. Knowledge will replace faith. Understanding will eliminate fear.

Yes | No

...but I'm not a "jogging enthusiast." In fact, I pretty much hate it. I consider it a necessary evil.
    I have to admit, jogging totally sucks. I would rather roll five, five minute rounds than jog one mile. Who the fuck are these people who run for fun? What kind of fun is that?

I like this quote:

“Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the Right," Odile Baudrier”

and

“ploy to brainwash his citizens.”

WTF?

Last edited by Olorin; 6th July 07 at 01:55 AM.

Yes | No

That story is absolutly absurd. I can't believe people who consider themselves intelligent are seriously calling the French president's choice of exercise a frightening sign of his obvious right wing (I'm sure someone will say fascist soon) tendancies.

Particularly love the part about how jogging is something only done by selfish Americans.