Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bachelor Chef: Episode 2, Marinara Sauce

The Doctor Will See You Now... Olorin's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I need to do one of these now that I've learned how to cook, well learned how to cook more than I did before.

Dad got it into my head how to do sauces, the pantry here is never shy of canned tomatoes.
    I started cooking about the same time I quit smoking. I quit smoking last September and lo and behold I could taste food again! And I realized how shitty all that fast food and crap really tastes.

On a side note, my better half might land a teaching position in Toms River, New Jersey. So I might be coming to the East Coast.

Yes | No

Well that wouldn't make you the first of my old Stillwater crew to follow me out here!

Where I go.... one or two people ocassionally happen to more or less follow but not quite end up in the same spot.

Yes | No

Guys who can cook are wonderful!

Sauces from scratch are super, but don't think that everything from an envelope is crap. Knorr and similar makers' mixes make a fine Alfredo. Doctoring with extra parmesan and herbs helps too. Keep a jar of minced garlic so it's always there. Fresh garlic is wonderful, but if you don't use it right away, it'll dry up.

Don't forget to grab some Hollandaise (goes great on asparagus or eggs benedict) and some Bernaise to put on steak or whatever. Extra tarragon in that and it really wakes up.

If you REALLY want pasta sauce... what you want to do is simmer the above in a crock pot. Make extra.. Brown some beef short ribs and throw 'em in. They fall apart and now you have a heartier sauce. Ditch the spaghetti and go for some wild curly shapes for the sauce to cling to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

My alfredo sauce comes out of a jar. yes, I know i'm lazy, no need to go there.

Zendetta

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Care to share? I have never made it before and could use some help.
    emeril's recipe looks great. I keep the temperature low-ish to keep the oils in the cream from separating. And you need fettucine noodles, but you probably already knew that too. Optional: serve with sliced avocado, as mentioned previously.

THe greengrocer down the street sells bunches of organic basil dirt cheep, so fresh pesto is my summer staple.

On the Italian/Medi/provincial trip: one of my favorite appetizers: marinate some portabello mushrooms in balsamic vinegar (leftover red wine works too) and toss onto the grill with sliced zuchini, red bell peppers, and Italian sausage. Grill to perfection and serve with crusty bread and olive oil & balsamic for dipping. Prego!

Again, good choice on the bourbon. i spent memorial day weekend backpacking thru Yosemite Nat'l Park with a hip flask full of Maker's. Warms the soul!