Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What exactly is sport ...

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

Rugby guys make excellent judoka IMO
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

AM football is being slowly ripped to shreds by excessive enforcement of rules, and new rules. The concussion issue that has taken hold of hockey by the throat is creeping into football as well.
    I mean, a guy's head is going to get snapped back when he takes a hard tackle or an open-ice hit he doesn't see coming. That's just a fact.
    But these doctors bemoan the fact that repetition of these types of collisions over the years leads to concussions and brain damage - so we need to change things.
    What would these doctors like us to do ?
    Non-contact hockey ?
    Change the NFL game to flag-football ?
    Seriously, its a contact sport and the guys get paid well to put their bodies on the line. Outlaw hits to the head or hits from behind all you want, but I get so annoyed with this issue.
    Especially when I'm reading articles where doctors and pussy-parents are pushing to have minor hockey switched to non-contact.
    What these people don't understand is that you cannot just put a kid on skates and teach him all the fundamentals of hockey without teaching him how to both give and take a bodycheck.
    What kind of pro aspirations could a kid have if he didn't take his first body check until major junior ?
    The way it sits now, bodychecking is allowed , in competitive minor leagues, in pee wee ( ages 10-11, roughly) and bantam (12-13 roughly) for non-competitive/house league.
    I can remember my pals and I being so excited ( and a little apprehensive, for sure) about moving up to the age bracket where checking was allowed. We savored it..but these whiny parent- groups want us to believe that their kids are scared to death and often quit because of it.
    That's bullshit.
    Sorry for ranting..but I get wound up over this one. People who have little-to-no involvement in the game are already trying to get rid of fighting in hockey, and they will be going after bodychecking next. All the while using concussions as their platform.
    Fucking pansies.
    Last edited by OZZ; 26th April 13 at 10:56 AM.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by User Friendly View Post
    Rugby guys make excellent judoka IMO
    And wrestlers too..
    But most of the hard-core rugby guys I've met spend the off-season healing up and letting their bodies recuperate a bit.

Yes | No

Ozz, surely when we lost Probert, Boogardt, etc. the lights went on that something needed to change.

These guys are not the same after head injuries. They are not able to lead anything close to productive lives afterwards. And it isn't only the pros with this issue. Rather, they represent the literally tens of thousands of amateur players that are NOT getting paid millions of dollars to put their bodies on the line.

We are irresponsible if we do not address this issue sooner rather than later.

And no, we should NOT ban fighting in Hockey, or contact in Football. That is not the solution we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntactical Dysruptorize
    Stop being nice. Start doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    ...Also, never take a shit and throw it into a deep fryer. I really regret doing that.

My ballsack is half full Üser Friendly's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    And wrestlers too..
    But most of the hard-core rugby guys I've met spend the off-season healing up and letting their bodies recuperate a bit.
    We have had a few at few at our club

Not intimadated by hands on, used to being manhandled, tough

If I wasn't such a pussy I might take it up
    die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk View Post
    Ozz, surely when we lost Probert, Boogardt, etc. the lights went on that something needed to change.

These guys are not the same after head injuries. They are not able to lead anything close to productive lives afterwards. And it isn't only the pros with this issue. Rather, they represent the literally tens of thousands of amateur players that are NOT getting paid millions of dollars to put their bodies on the line.

We are irresponsible if we do not address this issue sooner rather than later.

And no, we should NOT ban fighting in Hockey, or contact in Football. That is not the solution we need.
    I think the deaths of Boogard and Probert did more to bring the rampant painkiller addiction among enforcers to light, it was the near career-ending concussion suffered by Crosby that really brought things to a head as far as the concussion issue goes.
    I believe it was LaFontaine who was one of the first high-profile NHL'ers to have his career ended by concussion-related problems. But the list of bigger names has grown over the years to include Lindros (both of them, actually) , Keith Primeau, Paul Kariya, Chris Pronger..
    Anyways, I know its a serious issue. But other than severely penalizing headshots and boarding incidents - what else is there to do ?
    Fighting isn't the culprit. I know that plenty of fighters get concussed once or twice in their careers as a direct result of a fight, but its not that often that you hear about an enforcer being out of the lineup after a scrap due to a concussion. Its usually a torn rotator-cuff, fractured orbital bone or broken fingers that sideline these guys.
    Feryk, you know the type of hits that are to blame here.
    I'm just worried that the anti-contact crowd is going to try and get stupid rule changes implemented; like maybe altering the standards for charging or something.
    I keep reading articles with doctors bemoaning the fact that concussions are cumulative, and basically arguing that every single bodycheck a player takes right from pee wee on up is one more notch towards a severe concussion.
    This is just exaggeration and provides fuel for the anti-contact crowd. They get some clown with a couple of letters beside his name in their corner and away they go.

Yes | No

"NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith

"NoB's acquisitiveness is Zanshin like" - Dougie

"USA is 50 separate countries" - doof (tadpole farmer extraordinaire)

"I actually believe, nay, know that NoB's ass and innards are spotless." - Lilith