Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grind House pt 1of3: Hell yes gogo dancers!

Registered Member John_Dillinger's Avatar

Yes | No

Movies Grind House pt 1of3: Hell yes gogo dancers!

note : i can't start new threads anywhere else so if a mod could put this in reviews that'd be nice.
    Here's my first review so pardon the haphazard style.
    Grindhouse review part I: Planet Terror

Playing hookey from college today I decided to catch the 12:30 matinee of Grindhouse and in no way do I regret that decision.
    The opening credits are set to a fantastic piece of music composed by Robert Rodriguez that truly sets the feel of the movie. That fact that they are accompanied by Rose McGowan preforming a sultry go-go dance doesn't hurt. The plot is simple and pure b-movie as it was intended to be: here it is in 3 words:
    ZOMBIES.IN.TEXAS.
    Cinematography:
    The entire movie is set with grainy imagery which is accompanied by clever utilization of MISSING REEL cards. This gives the movie that cheap double feature feel it was going for and makes it a unique experience. 5/5 for Planet Terror.

BAD-ASSERY
    I was gonna go into charachter development but , no thats not what this movie is about. It's about shit blowing up and people killing things. There's enough bullets, blood, gore, and awesome to put this movie in the ranks with George Romero's early stuff,
    The characters are a grabbag of explosives, humor, and sex. Amputee go-go dancers, redneck sherifs, insane doctors, lesbian nurses and their lovers, rogue soilders, lesbian strippers, ex-black-ops but now truckers, and zombies (some with power tools).
    The women are hot and the action is plentiful, I give this 5 beef-jerky-filled -fists out of 5.
    Tunes
    Robert Rodriguez composed 21 of the 22 songs featured in Planet Terror. A fact that really suprised me. From the main theme to the final scene the music used was spot on with the atmosphere.
    As I type this i'm listening to the soundtrack, which I bought almost immideately after seeing the film. The short : It's very very good. and deserves a full write-up later. 5 m203 grenade launchers out of 5.
    The Bottom line
    This is definatey one of the best movies i've seen in a while. So if you like action, beautiful women, and good music with plenty of retro-humor. see grindhouse, If you don't go back to playing house and having teapartys with your stuffed animals.LACKBEARD!
    OVERALL SCORE: 5 deadly venoms out of 5.
    Staytuned for parts 2 and 3 Death Proof, Trailers and Soundtracks.

Yes | No

So wait, you didn't get to see them both?
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handy

Registered Member John_Dillinger's Avatar

Yes | No

I saw both and the trailers i'm just posting the review in 3 seperate parts
    because I think that each movie deserves to be gone into with a little more depth than an overall review could give, i dunno maybe i'll edit it all together later.

Yes | No

Good call spliting them up.

I enjoyed Plant Terror better. It was all the cheesey mind-numbing action I'd expected. Death proof was still great, but it was close to the hilt.

Yes | No

Yes, good review, I'll be seeing the movie in 160 minutes!

Zendetta

Yes | No

Fucking awesome all the way around.

"If you are thinking of going into the basement...DON'T!"

"Don't stop!
    "Don't turn around!"
    "Don't see this movie!!!"

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

Yep, just got back and it's lots of fun. Liked em both just fine, though for different reasons inter alia.

Previews were excellent as well.

I too was impressed by the Rodriguez in the score; sounded a lot like Morphine.

QT gotta stay on his side of the camera though.

Yes | No

I loved Planet Terror and all the fake trailers and previews but I found Death Proof boring and severely lacking.

Registered Member billy sol hurok's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    I loved Planet Terror and all the fake trailers and previews but I found Death Proof boring and severely lacking.
    My wife felt the same way. And yes, there was a lot of typical QT jawboning. But it was all done by EXCEEDINGLY HOT WIMMINZ! And also involved some exceedingly hot carz. And that scratches a number of my personal itches.

Yes | No

The opening scene of Planet Terror was hotter than all the hot women in Death Proof combined.