Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Max 4? Without Mel?

Registered Member Supporting Member bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Default Mad Max 4? Without Mel?

Mad Max back, but no Mel

MAD Max could be coming back, but don't expect Mel Gibson to reprise his role in the classic Australian movie, says director George Miller.
    Miller made his name with the post-apocalyptic vision of Mad Max, made in 1979, and its sequels, Mad Max 2 and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Now, fresh from winning an Oscar for his animated feature Happy Feet, Miller is planning a fourth instalment of Mad Max, with its murderous bikie gangs and bandits roaming the Australian outback.
    Miller believes the star of the trilogy, Mel Gibson, is now too old and focused on his own films to want to again portray the lead character of "Mad" Max Rockatansky.
    Instead, Miller hopes to secure a rising young star for the role.
    The fourth Mad Max movie was in development before Miller took on directing Happy Feet, and now he's turning back to the project.
    "I have a few projects in the pipeline including an animation ... but I do want to make another Mad Max movie and get stuck back into that," the 62-year-old said in Sydney today.
    "It (the lead) won't be Mel. He was 21 when he made the first one, now he's a lot older and his passion is for film making and directing.
    "I don't think he is into acting and I don't think he would be interested in being involved at all."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...50-952,00.html

Mad Max without Mad Mel? Could it be? Brave but correct decision IMO. They just need to find someone with the requisite charisma to carry it off.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while. Supporting Member Iscariot's Avatar

Yes | No

They should leave the franchise alone. Go find an original idea and do that instead of dragging out the greats to ruin them again.

Osiris

Yes | No

Mad Max will be just fine without Mel. He's not nearly so iconic as Schwarzenegger or someone so he can be replaced.

Yes | No

"Just walk away!"

Yes | No

I dunno. If it's gonna be made, Mel should play max again. An even more gizzled old embittered max.

Yes | No

I agree with Neildo.

Shawarma

Yes | No

It should star Bruce Campbell.

Yes | No

Only if it's directed by Sam Raimi.

Yes | No

Ash Vs. Mad Max .... Now that'd be an Awesome pic .
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Teh El Macho

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I dunno. If it's gonna be made, Mel should play max again. An even more gizzled old embittered max.
    I feel exactly the same way. Gibson may not be as iconic as the Gubernator, BUT, he was iconic in the role of Max. The last "Mad Max" movie ended up with a glimpse of hope, that people were beginning to rediscover civilization hoping for the rest out there (remember Max fading in the background) to join them someday.

Thus I feel some continuity, reference or connection to that state of things (whether it succeeded or not) must be preserved in any new sequel. It needs to be really original and connected in an interesting, novel way to the story of Mad Max for it to be good.

If an old, cranky Max is not in the sequel, it has to have a good plot, not just wild dudes in cars fueled with pig shit.

Otherwise it's going to be like T-4 or "Chronicles of Riddick." :(