Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks C-SPAN: Sam Harris discusses his book The End of Faith- Great stuff

Yes | No

Default Thanks C-SPAN: Sam Harris discusses his book The End of Faith- Great stuff

1hr 22min, thanks to C-SPAN and google video, yay!

Unlike the last lecture about religion that I posted, this is worth watching.

Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8013281663903762676

Shawarma

Yes | No

Pretty standard. Seems to parrot Dawkins, or the other way around. Don't know which. I strongly disagree with him thinking that respecting the religious beliefs of others is somehow wrong and dishonest. Not ridiculing the retarded but harmless beliefs of others, them being belief in God, Elvis or purple unicorns, falls in the category of "Not being a dick for no reason" as far as I'm concerned. It aggravates me that the harmless and peaceful people of faith I know are being pissed on by him because they happen to suffer from harmless delusions about a beard in the sky.

Oh, and fuck the arrogant fuck in the ass AND mouth for saying that "Those who disagree with me regarding the core of Islam being religiously imperialist have not read the qur'an and are silly." I've read the qur'an. I disagree with him. What it says depends on how you read it, the texts do not support his position when read at face value and as a whole rather than cherrypicking the offensive passages and ignoring the passages that directly contradict them and doesn't mention the commandments that you be GOOD. Same with the bible.
    That's not even mentioning that arguing that religion is good/evil based on what the holy books say completely leaves out the fact that NOBODY actually follows their holy books to the letter, so citing a lot of the passages that support your position is pretty pointless.
    If your goal is to prove the evil of religion, it would IMO be better to list the horrors being committed in the name of religion today and the people who commit them. This would still discount the charity and consolation that faith also brings though.

Why do all these godsmackers concentrate their ire against the Judaic religions? Where's the ranting against Hindus, Shintoists, Zoroastrians, Asatro, Buddhists and others? I demand to see more raving against the retarded beliefs.

Somehow, I never, ever feel that my concerns about the godsmacking are adressed by any of the godsmackers. They always address their ravings to OTHER atheists AGAINST the people of faith.
    Now, take me. I'm pretty unconcerned about God. I recognize the possibility that he could exist, that he simply erases all the evidence that he does exist just to dick with people, I just refuse to submit to him on philosophical grounds. I don't know which religious texts has t3h r34l wing chun, they all seem pretty unlikely to me with all the self-contradiction among them.
    I just don't feel that raging against "religious beliefs" as a whole is neccesary at all. Raging against religious hardliners with intent to disrupt your life, yes, but painting all the Christians who never want anything besides going to church on sundays with the same brush because Fred Phelps advocates the destruction of America is pure assholery.
    I don't feel that any of the godsmackers speak to ME. I'm don't take offense at people hatin' on G-D. He's been around a while, he can take it. He sure as hell will get the last laugh if he exists. I take offense at those of his followers getting cockslapped for no good reason.

What I want to know is: What is the point of raving against religion when you also insult the delusional but also harmless and often beneficial and benign beliefs of the non-insane VAST majority of the faithful? Why not make it clear that you are raving against the harmful aspects of faith rather than wanting to destroy faith as a whole? Do nobody have the same concerns as I do, or do you just not know any people of faith who aren't total assholes?

Tenshi has a very valid reason to be hateful of religion because of the stem-cell thing. What's everybody elses reason?

Shawarma

Yes | No

I think he actually sorta defeats his own point at the end. If 88% of Americans are religious and believe in a personal saviour, how come the US doesn't resemble Taliban-ruled Afghanistan? Wouldn't that be logical?

He discounts the fact that religion is not static. The holy books are (mostly) but the religions aren't.

Anna Kovacs

Yes | No

I don't hate all religious people. Just some of them :) I think religious people as a whole are deluded.

Oh yeh, a lot of religious people hate me just because I like to get a little poo-nanny from time to time.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I like to get a little poo-nanny from time to time.
    Size doesn't count.
    "Even logical positivists are capable of love." - A.J. Ayer

Anna Kovacs

Yes | No

I'm 15 minutes in and this is great.

Edit: Big poonanny is fine to, i don't discriminate :)

"Geez you got a big pussy. Geez you got a big pussy."

"Why'd you say that twice?"

"I didn't"

Yes | No

Great scene. Great film.

Anytime...
    "Even logical positivists are capable of love." - A.J. Ayer

Anna Kovacs

Yes | No

Watched the whole vid, little bit of drag towards the end of the lecture but the questions that followed were good.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    I think he actually sorta defeats his own point at the end. If 88% of Americans are religious and believe in a personal saviour, how come the US doesn't resemble Taliban-ruled Afghanistan? Wouldn't that be logical?

He discounts the fact that religion is not static. The holy books are (mostly) but the religions aren't.
    Let's see... Europe a few hundred years ago ring any bells? Christianity dominates and is secure. It's not going anywhere. Now Islam wants a piece of the action (i.e. wealthy countries and not to be shit on all the time). Next: Scientology.

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm about 40 minutes into it, and this guy is giving me a lot of ammo for the next time I argue about religion. Also, I won't back down anymore if people start saying "that's my opinion blah blah".