Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is assbackwards

Science Fucker Photobucket WarPhalange's Avatar

Yes | No

Default This is assbackwards

Why not just have 1 frontpage forum and have the rest be shit cock forums? For every good front page thread, there are 4 or 5 random ass threads for fun. Wouldn't it be easier to have the forums be proportional to that, instead of saying "throw all your random shit into one big pile".

I want to talk about video games.

I want to talk about news.

I want to talk about politics.

But not write up an essay for a thread. So suddenly all of that gets thrown in together?

Osiris

Yes | No

Pooploops is correct.

Yes | No

I concur with my Poopy colleague and the Villian, deep is their wisdom.
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Yes | No

A Poll, please for great justice! But I agree with them, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    A Poll, please for great justice! But I agree with them, too!
    Polls are to gather public opinion on a matter. By looking at my sig, you will clearly see that there is no need for a poll.

Yes | No

That's why this is still considered "Beta". Quirks need to be worked out.

But the front page is more important than the forums. We're going for a certain flow of discussion that's not the same as every other forum out there where threads like "hay guyz I like cheeeze am I rite" are followed by comments like "no cheez sux lol".

There are some formatting issues that need to be worked out still. But the idea is to have the threads simply as the back-end versions of what's going on the front page, and not vice versa.

The main point is that even on Bullshido, starting a thread without any substance is assholish. But I'm looking for a way for members to send content to the front page on their own that's better than our current system.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes | No

People are going to make shitty threads no matter what you do. Why not let them have fun with it and create a seperate forum for the serious threads?

They'll know the stuff on the "Front Page Forum" will be quality. I doubt there will be enough threads to warrant sub forums for them. At least not for a while.

Osiris

Yes | No

Phrost, I don't know if you've noticed, but this is a forum. On the internet. EVERYTHING sucks on the internet. How we're gonna have a forum where the majority is top class material solving the problem of world peace, I don't know. Thats not a technical issue that will be resolved in the 1.1 full release, thats poor planning and a genuinely bad idea. Perhaps a good idea should be found and THEN we can implement it. As is, its silly.

Yes | No

No , cheese suXx ... Lollerskates ...
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    People are going to make shitty threads no matter what you do. Why not let them have fun with it and create a seperate forum for the serious threads?

They'll know the stuff on the "Front Page Forum" will be quality. I doubt there will be enough threads to warrant sub forums for them. At least not for a while.
    I'd rather have one forum for shitty threads and 5 for non-shitty threads than the other way around. Seriously, if someone can't post more than a paragraph of text about something, then they don't need to start a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Phrost, I don't know if you've noticed, but this is a forum. On the internet. EVERYTHING sucks on the internet. How we're gonna have a forum where the majority is top class material solving the problem of world peace, I don't know. Thats not a technical issue that will be resolved in the 1.1 full release, thats poor planning and a genuinely bad idea. Perhaps a good idea should be found and THEN we can implement it. As is, its silly.
    I don't think anyone sincerely wants world peace.

The issue is that this isn't a forum, it's a community blog with a forum back-end for managing the content. The internet doesn't need another off topic forum. It does need a site where social issues can be reported on or highlighted without partisan or ideological constraints put on expression.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein