Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to buy a new TV

Yes | No

Default How to buy a new TV

Flare, Phrack all you uber geeks and electronic's wizards post what you know. If a normal person can read and understand the post that helps alot too.
    Varner Rapscallion - Talons
    Yricyn Lok-ri 56 Elf Wizard/Traveller/Commander - Death Server

Yes | No

Honestly, I'm still rocking a ~40ish inch CRT TV at home so I'm not really up on all the latest tech stuff on TVs.

I hear Plasma is awesome, HD is going to be pretty standard in a year or two, and rear-projection big screens are the cheapest way to go for size, bang for the buck-wise. Just don't use your PS2 on them.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes | No

That's an open ended question, it all depends on how much you want to spend, how much space you have, etc..
    ----------------------
    Zith The Pathfinder

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Phrack
    Honestly, I'm still rocking a ~40ish inch CRT TV at home so I'm not really up on all the latest tech stuff on TVs.

I hear Plasma is awesome, HD is going to be pretty standard in a year or two, and rear-projection big screens are the cheapest way to go for size, bang for the buck-wise. Just don't use your PS2 on them.
    That's not true, actually. If you are measuring pure bang for the buck in both size and clarity, a front projection is where it's at. The problem is space... you gotta have the room for it, otherwise you're screwed.

After having front projection for a year now, I can honestly say that no other TV type is even marginally close. You can spend $15,000 on a 70" LCD TV ( Sony I think? ) and a $1500 front projection will stomp all over it six ways from Sunday in both size and clarity. But again, you have to have the room for it (when I say room, I don't mean dimensions, I mean the room design).

Ambient light plays hell with front projection, so the room has to be dark. You have to be able to mount it somewhere (either behind your couch, or preferrably on the ceiling), and then you have to get the video signal to it.

If you don't have the room for front projection, a DLP type rear projection is nice and small (and light!) for a reasonable price vs. picture size. Tubes are great, but they don't get bigger than 42" (and I think the 42" ones were discontinued years ago).

So basically... like Zith said, what are you trying to accomplish?
    At this point, it may be too late to win back disgruntled music lovers no matter what they do. As one music industry lawyer, Ken Hertz, said recently, “The consumer’s conscience, which is all we had left, that’s gone, too.”

Yes | No

Trying to close open ends. I got about $2k and I want the biggest, sharpest picture I can get. Looking around online I see all sorts of stuff like HD Ready, HD Built in, HD Monitor, LCD, Plasma, various resolutions, speeds its all pretty confusing really to me.
    Varner Rapscallion - Talons
    Yricyn Lok-ri 56 Elf Wizard/Traveller/Commander - Death Server

Yes | No

Buy a 42" Sony LCD Projection, Model KDF-E42A10. You will need a nice looking stand to set it on, but picture clarity for the price cannot be topped.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handy

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Flare
    That's not true, actually. If you are measuring pure bang for the buck in both size and clarity, a front projection is where it's at. The problem is space... you gotta have the room for it, otherwise you're screwed.

After having front projection for a year now, I can honestly say that no other TV type is even marginally close. You can spend $15,000 on a 70" LCD TV ( Sony I think? ) and a $1500 front projection will stomp all over it six ways from Sunday in both size and clarity. But again, you have to have the room for it (when I say room, I don't mean dimensions, I mean the room design).

Ambient light plays hell with front projection, so the room has to be dark. You have to be able to mount it somewhere (either behind your couch, or preferrably on the ceiling), and then you have to get the video signal to it.

If you don't have the room for front projection, a DLP type rear projection is nice and small (and light!) for a reasonable price vs. picture size. Tubes are great, but they don't get bigger than 42" (and I think the 42" ones were discontinued years ago).

So basically... like Zith said, what are you trying to accomplish?
    front projection is the shizzle peoples. can't beat a 6ft x 6ft screen.

4ft-high guile FTW.
    BLEE!
    ah shadap.

Yes | No

go to Circuit City or Best Buy and look at them .. see which one you like the best.

DLP TV's give some people headaches, but in my opinion they are far superior to LCD, the blacks are thousands of times better. If you want a DLP TV then look at the Samsung models, if you want LCD look at Sony or Hitachi.

Front Projection is the best but you really need to have a proper room and know what you're doing
    ----------------------
    Zith The Pathfinder

Yes | No

I've sold about 6 of the new Samsung DLP, and I've had 4 returned with problems. Sony I've sold well over 30 of their 42, 50, and 60inch models, and I have not gotten a single one returned on me. And don't go to Circuit City, go to Sears or the internet.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handy

Yes | No

Told you I didn't know shit. And yeah, our big TV is about 5 years old or so.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein