Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. planned to commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Default U.S. planned to commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities

In the early 1960s, America's top military leaders reportedly drafted plans to kill innocent people and commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities to create public support for a war against Cuba.

Code named Operation Northwoods, the plans reportedly included the possible assassination of Cuban émigrés, sinking boats of Cuban refugees on the high seas, hijacking planes, blowing up a U.S. ship, and even orchestrating violent terrorism in U.S. cities
    This is froma book "Body of Secrets" and it deals with the U.S. and its relations with Cuba in the 60's. Through the Freedom of Information Act the author has these plans that were APPROVED by all of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and given to Robert McNamara and were then " rejected by the civilian leadership".

I find it pretty damn scary that the joint chiefs would try and push a plan to commit acts of terrorism on its own citizens just to stir up public approval for a war with Cuba. I do NOT find it hard to believe at all. Read the Bay of Pigs.
    The plans were developed as ways to trick the American public and the international community into supporting a war to oust Cuba's then new leader, communist Fidel Castro.

America's top military brass even contemplated causing U.S. military casualties, writing: "We could blow up a U.S. ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba," and, "casualty lists in U.S. newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation."
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92662&page=1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...505863-8494540

Yes | No

Cuban harbours use to be dangerout to US ships.

The Wastrel

Yes | No

When I first read this I was prepared to laugh it off, but it appears to have some weight behind it. Loving this gem from the ABC news link:

The secret plans came at a time when there was distrust in the military leadership about their civilian leadership, with leaders in the Kennedy administration viewed as too liberal, insufficiently experienced and soft on communism.
    Too liberal because they decided manufactured terrorist killings were a bad idea.

NextGuard

Yes | No

On the surface this sounds absurd. On the other hand we know that the Vietnam war was justified by a fake attack on the American navy.

Personally I'd like to see the supporting documents.

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

I was prepared to laugh it off also but remember the documents revealed through the Freedom of Information Act that detailed the U.S. govt injecting people with radiation just to test its effects. That really happened, theres no question. If a crazy faction of govt would do something like that this suddenly isn't so unbelievable.

Yes | No

The question isn't are you paranoid, it's are you paranoid enough. After the radiation feeding to retarded adults, the syphillus experiments on african americans and the way they killed soldiers in the atomic tests in New Mexico I would not put anything past some of the loons in power.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Yes | No

The claim can be found in James Banford, "Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency, from the Dawn of the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century", (Doubleday, New York, 2001), pp. 82-91.

Banford has a pretty good reputation as a researcher, though his chapter on what happened to the US Liberty has been effectively disputed. (He used some evidence in that section that since has been called into question).

Operation Northwoods, according to Bamford was really being pushed by General Lyman Lemnitzer, a rabid anti-communist who then headed the joint chiefs of staff. He kept sending these plans to Robert McNamara who as Secretary of Defense under Kennedy for once did the right thing and blocked these proposals. Lemnitzer was later tranfered out of the JCS position and sent to command Nato because his relation with McNamara had gotten so bad, over this and other issues.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by NextGuard
    On the surface this sounds absurd. On the other hand we know that the Vietnam war was justified by a fake attack on the American navy.

Personally I'd like to see the supporting documents.
    And yes, you are right.

Yes | No

MK ULTRA anyone?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate Judah Maccabee's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm confused. Did the elected officials (Senators, President, etc.) come up with these things, or did the military, which were then rejected by the civilians?