Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Israeli newspaper reports U.S. has "secret prison" in Jordan

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Default Israeli newspaper reports U.S. has "secret prison" in Jordan

A large Israeli news association, Haaretz, has claimed that the United States has a secret prison in Jordan where at least 11 top al-Qaeda were being held, allowing the C.I.A. to use interrogation techniques that would not be allowed within the U.S.

The C.I.A. has refused to comment.

Haaretz said detainees held at the base included former al-Qaeda military leader Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, recruitment head Abu Zubaydah and Ramzi bin al-Shibh - a former roommate of 11 suicide airline hijacker Mohammed Atta.

Hambali, a Thai suspect thought to have links to al-Qaeda is also held there, the report says.

Since the war in Afghanistan three years ago, the majority of people deemed enemy combatants have been transferred to a US military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

However, a minority were taken to Pakistan and from there moved to Jordan, Haaretz said.
    Jordan has denied any such facility and says that the purpose of such talk is aimed at weakening the country's human rights image.

The Haaretz report follows a Human Rights Watch report that said 11 al-Qaeda suspects were being denied access to the International Red Cross and protection under international law, and suggested that torture had been used.

Human Rights Watch, which based its 46-page report largely on news reports, acknowledged the need to bring terror suspects to justice but questioned the legality of the detainees' treatment.

HRW highlights a number of areas in which the US appears to be violating international legal standards:

International treaties ratified by the US prohibit holding prisoners incommunicado and in secret locations

The Geneva Conventions require that the International Committee of the Red Cross has access to all detainees and that information on them be provided to their relatives

Under international human rights law, detainees must be held in recognised places of detention and be able to communicate with lawyers and family members
    The US argues that al-Qaeda members are not entitled to the protection of Geneva conventions because they are not lawful combatants. The Pentagon says the "spirit" of the conventions is respected at the detention centre at Guantanamo Bay.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3742428.stm

Yes | No

Actually this a good thing we need to torture these assholes.
    Rest is for the weak

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

You assume that the people involved are guilty, lol. Wouldnt it suck for them if they just happened to be Arab and in the wrong place at the wrong time.......

Yes | No

Well who knows if their are inncoent then thats evil.
    Rest is for the weak

Yes | No

I guess it's not very secret anymore....

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate Judah Maccabee's Avatar

Yes | No

This has been well known for some time: The US takes advantage of loopholes in its own anti-torture laws to try to glean information by outsourcing to other countries. Egypt was one of the more well-known ones. Dershowitz covers this topic in his book "A Case for Israel" in the chapter pertaining to if Israel widely employed torture (it doesn't).

In fact, in the US, there was a torture case where police in a Southern state apprehended a kidnapper, and an officer broke the criminal's fingers until he revealed where the girl he kidnapped was held. This was upheld in court as legitimate.

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Jordan denies this place exists.

Yes | No

I really hope there IS such a prison. Everyone wants the US to play by the rules when they break them so viva la loopholes.:D
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!! ブラジリアン忍法

RIP SOLDIER

Yes | No

I tend to respect the Geneva covention.
    If one country supports tortue then why shouldn't any country do the same. Why dont all countries just simply use torture then.

Its like when China held that spy plane and the American crew. Why shouldnt they have torture the fuck out of them? Or when the Iraqi military had American POWs why shouldnt they have tortured them?
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    This has been well known for some time: The US takes advantage of loopholes in its own anti-torture laws to try to glean information by outsourcing to other countries. Egypt was one of the more well-known ones. Dershowitz covers this topic in his book "A Case for Israel" in the chapter pertaining to if Israel widely employed torture (it doesn't).

In fact, in the US, there was a torture case where police in a Southern state apprehended a kidnapper, and an officer broke the criminal's fingers until he revealed where the girl he kidnapped was held. This was upheld in court as legitimate.
    I doubt that his statements were admissible against him in court after that session but why don't you tell me which case that is, so I can review it, and see if you're describing it accurately.