Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush's Draft

Yes | No

Default Bush's Draft

Yay, a draft is coming up if Bush wins again, we can all go defend Israel's eastern flank -- sweet! I'll see all you guys over there. Now with added bonus features of women being drafted, no deferments, no conscientious-objector status, anyone 18-49 can be drafted, and no going to Canada as Bush has already signed a deal with Canada that they will not allow draft dodgers.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...er_id=93387991
    http://www.nodraft.info/
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/...4403-9384r.htm

June 1, 2004

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a
    shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.

Yes | No

Umm, last time I checked it was a Democratic congressman that sponsored draft legislation, not Bush.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes | No

Actually it is a bipartisan effort, so even if Kerry wins we still might get it.

Retired Troops being called up as well-
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...reserve_callup

WASHINGTON - The Army is preparing to notify about 5,600 retired and discharged soldiers who are not members of the National Guard or Reserve that they will be involuntarily recalled to active duty for possible service in Iraq (news - web sites) or Afghanistan (news - web sites), Army officials said Tuesday.

It marks the first time the Army has called on the Individual Ready Reserve, as this category of reservists is known, in substantial numbers since the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites). Several hundred of them have volunteered for active-duty service since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Those who are part of the involuntary call up are likely to be assigned to National Guard or Reserve units that have been mobilized for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to Army officials who discussed some details Tuesday on condition they not be identified because a public announcement was planned for Wednesday.

Members of Congress were being notified of the decision Tuesday, the officials said.

Unlike members of the National Guard and Reserve, the individual reservists do not perform regularly scheduled training. Any former enlisted soldier who did not serve at least eight years on active duty is in the Individual Ready Reserve pool, as are all officers who have not resigned their commission.

The Army has been reviewing its list of 118,000 eligible individual reservists for several weeks in search of qualified people in certain high-priority skill areas like civil affairs.

Registered Member imported_Driz's Avatar

Yes | No

Ouden,

Did you know that the draft is something that Democrats do not necessarily disagree with? As a whole, the draft is not a bad thing as seen by the Dems.

Take some time to check out the arguments raised by the Democratic party in the late 60s when the draft was being done away with. Check out the arguments for a draft that deal with the consequences of having an all volunteer army. Ask yourself this:

"Will the people charged with serving my countries military interests think critically about the orders they are given or will an all volunteer force be more apt to just follow orders?"

Sounds silly, but these are some of the arguments that were thrown around in the late 60s. And you know what? personally I feel all able bodied young men and women should be made to do a madatory stint in one oof the armed services following highschool.

Now thats just my opinion, but when I look at people I know who went in the service vs college right after high school; an overwhelming portion of those who went in the service are way ahead of those who went and wasted time and money in college because they were not matur enough to be there and apply themselves. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Driz
    just some food for thought.

Yes | No

Ugh.

I don't want to get drafted. I finally got the hang of this college thing.

Checkity check.

Yes | No

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily have a problem with "a draft" in general, if it was needed to honestly defend this country. I do have a problem with a draft that boils down more to defending some shitty little hypocritical backstabbing pile of dirt than defending America.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Ouden
    I do have a problem with a draft that boils down more to defending some shitty little hypocritical backstabbing pile of dirt than defending America.
    Oh, you must mean every single Arab country.

Yes | No

Bush is already talking about bringing 'Democracy' to every Middle East Country...

Of course you don't believe me, but the facts are there. He's going to want the draft to start a war with the entire Middle East for 'Democracy'... what a fucking farce!

Yes | No

Defending the land you live in. What a foreign concept.
    It's complicated,
    this time I think it could be,
    triangulated

Yes | No

The one example they use as "the only democracy in the Middle East" isn't even a democracy.