Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Korean War II

9chambers

Yes | No

They project that if North Korea invaded South Korea that we would be able to win and defend the South but at great cost. Our military leaders estimate that there would be a million casualties on both sides. Excluding the south Koreans they said about 500,000 Ameerican soldiers would die. (I read this online on some news page somewhere yesterday, I forget where) This is all if things go how they expect.

500,000 of us dead. Those kind of losses haven't been seen since we fought in the first Korean War. The North has nuclear weapons, WMD and a 1 million man standing army.

What do you guys think about all of this stuff? Our troops are scattered all over the world and on alert here at home. Will there be a draft? What side will communist China take? Russia? The UN? Will our protestors go nuts?

Peace can't last forever. it was good while it lasted. Is this the next great war or will it be avoided?

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Osiris

Yes | No

Vote demoratic.

"If martial arts are about sex, the kata must be masturbation." Fighty McGee

Phoenix

Yes | No

9 Chambers.

I think the shit is about to hit the fan.

The US wants to impose economic sanctions on North Korea....they want to starve them out of their WMD plan. They even have the support of Japan, South Korea, Australia, and a few other nations as well. This is also to combat the trafficking of narcotics and people out of North Korea...also means of generating income for the communist nation, aside from their weapons sales.

The only thing is...North Korea is saying that they will regard these sanctions as an act of war. And they probably have a nuke aimed right at Japan as we speak.

Nobody is taking this seriously because the North seems to always threaten war and they are notorious for brinkmanship and saber rattling. However, I don't remember the stakes for them being so high. Their people are on the brink of starvation (I don't think they have much food left in the country), and their economy is about to collapse.

Some might say that they cannot afford to start a fight. But then again, they might believe that they cannot afford NOT to start a war - especially since they believe their sovereignty to be at stake. I see them as a nation with nothing to lose.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw

Ex-ATA and Proud of it. Bolverk's Avatar

Yes | No

Vote demoratic.
    An excellent idea, if you wish to be like an ostrich and bury your head in the sand at the first sign of trouble.

But, then again, with only a few exceptions, Democrats have been at the helm during the start of most of the wars in which the United States participated. But that may due to the fact that most nations out there know Republicans will not hesitate to kick ass then take names.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Phoenix

Yes | No

It doesn't matter who you vote for.

The remaining fact is that there is a very strong possibility that a war could break out - a very serious war that could have monumental ramifications. It could be a war that every man could be called upon to fight in. The situation in Korea has been a bubbling cauldron since 1953...I think it will boil over soon, if they do not come to an understanding.

I think Einstein said it best:

"I know now with what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but I know that WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

Edited by - Rising Phoenix on June 18 2003 16:51:05

Osiris

Yes | No

Bush is clearly a maniac. Anyone who votes for him needs to be drafted immediately.

"If martial arts are about sex, the kata must be masturbation." Fighty McGee

Phoenix

Yes | No

Bush strikes me as the kinda guy where diplomacy is not his strong point.

IF war breaks out, it would be Kim Jong Il who throws the first strike, but it will only be because Bush has given him no other option but to do so.

If you back somebody into a corner, they're bound to come out swinging,if you push them hard enough.

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Calm down.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Phoenix

Yes | No

What do you think of this, Wastrel?

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Off the cuff...

1. What do you mean the U.S. is planning on economic sanctions? Are you talking about a blockade? I don't see how the U.S. could impose any greater restrictions on trade and traffic than it, and the DPRK itself, already maintain. The U.S. itself cannot interfere through legalistic channels with bilateral trade between North Korea and her trading partners.

2. What would be the point of waging a war that results in 500,000 U.S. casualties to prevent proliferation of nuclear weapons to a country that doesn't possess intercontinental ballistic missiles? That's not a reasonable or an efficient decision.

3. The logic of mutually-assured destruction still holds. The North has no interest in launching a strike against the South. It would precipitate the absolute nuclear destruction of virtually the entire peninsula. Guaranteed.

4. The DPRK depends upon China for most of its logistical and intelligence support in the event of a war. China is extremely unlikely to approve of a nuclear-armed DPRK. Why would they? The DPRK could only strike three countries with their current technology-South Korea, Russia, China, and maybe Japan. China is a revisionist state, turning away from its past, and highly rational.

4. It is likely that the acquisition of nuclear weapons capability is tied to regime survival. Kim Jong Il's stability depends on military support. The military sees its role as defense of the nation. Nuclear weapons would provide a credible deterrent to invasion, which the military and the public has been taught is imminent. They would also allow a more efficient organization of the nation's resources.

5. Short Memories: The DPRK pulled out of the NPT before. It is "legalistically" their prerogative. They have demonstrated a pattern of non-compliance and escalation in the past. It is usually a way to secure other demands.

6. Part of the agreement was that the U.S. Japan and South Korea would build light-water reactors in the North by 2003. That never happened, so the DPRK was handed a credible rationale for their own violation of the Agreed Framework. News organs in the West don't seem to like to mention this.

7. The idea that the DPRK might provide such materials to "terrorists" is ridiculous. A terrorist organization can't come close to affecting North Korea's economic needs. The U.S., ROK, Japan and the PRC have far deeper pockets.

Don't confuse what nations seem to be doing with their actual intentions. I believe there is little chance of this blowing up. The U.S. needs to cultivate their relationship with China in order to maintain a short leash on NK.

What kind of conflict might we face? If we are talking about a conventional war, then it will be extremely ugly...but an invasion by the North? Why? There's no motivation. Kim Jon Il is merely trying to maintain power.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."