Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst act of terrorism in the past 100 years?

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Default Worst act of terrorism in the past 100 years?

Since terrorism seems to be the word for our decade I just thought I'd ask what everyone thought was the single worst act of terrorism in the past 100 years? There have been ALOT too. Everyone's going to give me shiit about mine but I'll start anyway(this isnt just to start a shiitstorm either):

U.S. attacks Nicaragua

In the 80's the United States massively attacked Nicaragua. Tens of thousands of people were killed in the assault. The country was destroyed to the point that many people believe it will never recover.

After the attack, the U.S. followed up with an intense economic war that a small country like Nicaragua could never sustain.

Nicaragua went before the World Court which found the United States guilty of "international terrorism" and ordered the U.S. to pay reperations. The U.S. responded by immediately upscaling the attack to include "soft targets" including hospitols, water purification plants etc.

Nicaragua then went before the UN security council which considered a resolution calling on all states to observe international law.

The U.S. alone vetoed the resolution.

This act of terrorism resulted in the U.S. being the only country condemned for international terrorismby the world court and the only country to veto a resolution calling on all states to observe international law.

The Wastrel

Yes | No

The "Final Solution".

shironinja

Yes | No

I vote for this one... because it didn't just target military but any man, woman, or child in the area.

I visited last year and saw the Peace Museum.. one section has a stone step removed from a bank where you can see the white patch where someone's son or daughter melted into the fucking stone.

Hiroshima Bombing

- On August 6th 1945, the Enola Gay, a USA bomber, dropped a bomb called "Little Boy" on Hiroshima. For extracts from the plane's flight log - click here
    - 80,000 people were killed instantly
    - Out of the city’s 55 hospitals, only 3 were usable after the blast.
    - 90% of all doctors and nurses in Hiroshima were killed or injured
    - Radiation claimed many more lives after the bomb was dropped.
    - 48,000 out of 76,000 buildings were destroyed.
    - The initial heat blast was 900 times hotter than the sun.
    - Bodies were vapourised underneath the bomb blast.
    - By 1950, 200,000 people had died as a result of the bomb.
    - Between 1950 and 1980, a further 97,000 people died from cancers associated with the radiation caused by "Little Boy".

Also (On August 9th 1945, the bomber "Bockspur" dropped "Fat Man" on Nagasaki. Once again, the final number of deaths was over 200,000. )

source: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/hiroshima.htm

Vargas

Yes | No

A tie between the Reign of Josef Stalin and The Great Leap Foward/Cultural Revolution. As far as I can tell, both Joe and Mao killed more civilians than Adolf. Course, it was their own civilians, so no one gave a shit. . .

Yes | No

I'd go with Pol Pot. That was what...? 20% of the entire population he offed?
    If your daughter isn't wearing her hijab, you can see it and slap her.

-Creativo

Yes | No

Maybe we need to define "terrorism" and "terrorist act".

Vargas

Yes | No

And shiro, the second B-29 was 'Bock's Car', as in a train's boxcar. And the conventional firebombing of Tokyo was way worse than Nagasaki and Hiroshima, it just took longer. Yeah, I saw the memorial at the U.N. for both cities. Funny, didn't see a memorial for Nanking or Korea. I wonder why. . .

Yes | No

Originally posted by shironinja
    I vote for this one... because it didn't just target military but any man, woman, or child in the area.

I visited last year and saw the Peace Museum.. one section has a stone step removed from a bank where you can see the white patch where someone's son or daughter melted into the fucking stone.

Hiroshima Bombing

- On August 6th 1945, the Enola Gay, a USA bomber, dropped a bomb called "Little Boy" on Hiroshima. For extracts from the plane's flight log - click here
    - 80,000 people were killed instantly
    - Out of the city’s 55 hospitals, only 3 were usable after the blast.
    - 90% of all doctors and nurses in Hiroshima were killed or injured
    - Radiation claimed many more lives after the bomb was dropped.
    - 48,000 out of 76,000 buildings were destroyed.
    - The initial heat blast was 900 times hotter than the sun.
    - Bodies were vapourised underneath the bomb blast.
    - By 1950, 200,000 people had died as a result of the bomb.
    - Between 1950 and 1980, a further 97,000 people died from cancers associated with the radiation caused by "Little Boy".

Also (On August 9th 1945, the bomber "Bockspur" dropped "Fat Man" on Nagasaki. Once again, the final number of deaths was over 200,000. )

source: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/hiroshima.htm
    We shouldn't confuse declared state warfare with terrorism. Yes, civilians and soft targets were destroyed. But hundreds of thousands were killed with "dumb" bombs as well. Every civilian death sucks, but that is the reality of war...and to your point on a previous thread...one of the reasons why war is a shitty solution to most problems.

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Hiroshima was bad but it WAS during a time of war so I wouldnt consider it a terrorist act by the Untied States. There was no law prohibiting beating the shiit out of anither country TOO much during war. I know theres strong evidence that the attack was unessecary and just a display of power but it still took place in a time of declared war on another state.

Yes | No

If the purpose of a terrorst act is to instill fear, then many things are NOT terrorist acts, atrocities, sure, but a terroist act per se, no.
    The "final solution" was an attempt at extermination, but I don't think it was a terrorsit act per se.
    Yes it instill terror on the Jews, but terror was not the goal.
    Or am I off here on my definition of "terrorist act" ?