Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush sex scandal

Yes | No

I noticed that, why??

Yes | No

I SAID the woman was probably insane. There.

Yes | No

Someone else's post is gone as well, this thread was at 11 before the error, it was at 9 when I posted that your post was missing.
    Sithray <Juggernauts>
    No Fear
    No Conscience

A day in the life

Yes | No

Plus the boards broke shortly after I posted it this morning.

Yes | No

World affairs you might have a point on but the economic problems... well, I don't think you can say Bush is directly responsible for that. Look at the major factors that produced this slump

1. The tech bubble of the stock market burst. The so called "dot bust" of 2000. That was a long time coming because people doing their own trading were too stupid to realize they were buying into companies that made no money (I remember seeing some Linux company make an IPO in the late 90s and have their value increase 700% in one day... making money off Linux isn't easy).

2. The cooked book scandals. Enron, Worldcom, Adelphia and even Tyco. All major names that cooked their books to make them look better so their stocks would stay high. Again, this was a long time coming.

3. Jobless recovery. This one is murkier than the others but what is quite clear is most of the manufacturing jobs have left our country for places like Mexico, India and China. As such you have millions of people who are not trained for other jobs that pay what they were used to earning and lack the job market to put their current skills to use. Adding to this crunch is the fact that many people lost some of their retirement in the stock market downturn and as such you have more people working longer to make up that shortfall.

4. 9/11. We've never had to deal with something like this. Ever. Economies run off of confidence in the future and this dark day destroyed a lot of confidence. We're 2 years hence and I can't say it's very surprising to find people still a little apprehensive because of this.

Now, if we had bad policy that played a major role then you might be able to say Bush is directly responsible but the only policy Bush has enacted is one to let you keep more of your hard earned money which, historically, has lead to more growth and more tax revenues. If anything, I'd say Bush has done a bangup job under some tough times regarding the economy.
    Boanerges Thundercry
    Archon of Prexus

Yes | No

Heh, you should have heard Michael Moore last night on cspan. The interviewer HATED him, I am not sure why, he kept asking him about how he was handling all his money, accused him of being an atheist (he's Catholic), being an attention whore, and then asked him if he actually wrote the book.

The reason I am thinking about this now is he was very harsh on the republicans encouraging the "everyman" to invest in the stock market. He felt that the working person should not be in the stock market (or pension plans, either) as it was too much of a gamble.

Edit: the interview was on his new book, "dude where's my country."

Yes | No

Michael Moore is a fucking genius.
    Sithray <Juggernauts>
    No Fear
    No Conscience

A day in the life

Yes | No

I was very impressed with him last night. He did not let the asshole interviewer make him mad, or intimidate him, although you could see he really wanted people to know he wasn't all stuck up now that he's really rich.

He is very wise. He benefitted from the Bush tax cut, but is giving his extra income from the tax cut to charities. He also appreciated the irony of making money from a book that criticized the very administration that gave him the extra income.

Yes | No

The reason I am thinking about this now is he was very harsh on the republicans encouraging the "everyman" to invest in the stock market. He felt that the working person should not be in the stock market (or pension plans, either) as it was too much of a gamble.
    For such a "genius" he sure is a really big idiot.

The stock market is not a good source of revenue for the short term investor but over the long term the stock market does tend to go up. The reason so many people got burned lately is because the stock market does fluctuate. The long haul investor stays the course and rides the downturn out because, like all things, it will eventually go back up.

If his idea isn't to reinvest in our economy then what does he advocate? Giant matresses?
    Boanerges Thundercry
    Archon of Prexus

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges
    For such a "genius" he sure is a really big idiot.

The stock market is not a good source of revenue for the short term investor but over the long term the stock market does tend to go up. The reason so many people got burned lately is because the stock market does fluctuate. The long haul investor stays the course and rides the downturn out because, like all things, it will eventually go back up.

If his idea isn't to reinvest in our economy then what does he advocate? Giant matresses?
    The government wants the poor man to invest in the economy via the stock market, yet they only give the rich/super rich tax breaks. The poor man is usually working from paycheck to paycheck, therefore can't afford a short term loss in the stock market. Rich republicans have no problem saying "the everyman should invest", because they are rich off their ass' and only see investment as another means of a tax break, especially if they can report short term losses. They only want the poor man to invest to drive the price of their stock back up.

He is a genius because he sees the flaws in their reasoning. I personally pulled all my stocks when Bush entered office, and rightly so, I would have lost about 15k if I hadn't.
    Sithray <Juggernauts>
    No Fear
    No Conscience

A day in the life