Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Books? Books. Books!

As Above, So Below Tenebrae Vision's Avatar

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by vilesoul
    The Poe book is a 1990 print from Longmeadow press, bound in black leather. The actual book title is "The Tales Of Edgar Allen Poe" I have no idea where you would find it, since I got it for my birthday 12 years ago, along with the works of Thomas Hardy, which is another fine book, although not everyone's idea of a good read.

I HAVE that book and it's awesome!! Props!

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    Chalker's Flux World was pretty strange. I may have to find the Diamond ones wherever I packed it away...
    Yeah the Flux and Anchor series by Chalker was truly great also. It's too bad his work has degenerated (In my opinion). He's gone so downhill, it's even becoming hard to find his stuff although they just reprinted a bunch.

Yes | No

Hmm.. now I'm thinking of older stuff...

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray (Grey?) Mouser series
    Michael Moorcock's Elric series and a few others
    Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld and Dungeon both series
    Oh, and edited by Robert Asprin, THIEVES' WORLD The forward alone is a must for anyone who wants to write shared fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by KhashaSky
    Robert Heinlein - "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Also see Up the Line, even if just to read how the crucifixion might of been.
    Thank GOD I'm an Atheist .

Yes | No

More...

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, but American Gods was a great book.

The Live Ship books, I forget the author, Robin something.

CS Lewis's Narnia books are really good. His adult science fiction books are really not very good, but have some interesting Christian ideas.

I used to like Judith Tarr, she's a fantasy author, but then I met her on a message board list and I ended up disliking her prima donna attitude so don't like her books now.

All the Darkover books by Marilyn Zimmer Bradley are pretty good. They are kind of dated now with her social issues, I think, but her universe is very fun to spend time in.

Oh, and if you like horror than anything by H.P. Lovecraft is fun -- he's the Cthulu guy.

Yes | No

Robin Hobbe.. Liveship Trilogy.. also the Assassin's Apprentice etc.
    Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin too

Might as well toss in Mists of Avalon and the prequels by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    We all have our respective crosses to bear.... We all have flaws and virtues, and frequently our virtues are bound up with our flaws. And those characteristics are all magnified when one takes charge of a quarrelsome Internet forum.
    for example....
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiktin Voxbane View Post
    It's the rough end of the pineapple for you Mon ami .

Yes | No

A Song Of Fire And Ice - George R. R. Martin is still the best series I've read. Get an excel spreadsheet for all the cast and characters, print it out, then get a black magic marker to cross out the names of everyone he kills. In fact, get 2-3 black magic markers, as they will get used up fast.

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson. The original horror writer that inspired the greats of today: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker. It's just a story about the entire world getting turned into Vampires, except one man. Film adaptations of this book have sucked, you have to read the book to really enjoy the plot. The version I picked up has a bunch of his short stories in the back of the book, which was one helluva bonus!

The Art Of War - Sun Tzu: Just good old fashioned Chinese Philosophy. I brought this one into work to re-read it.

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by joen00b
    A Song Of Fire And Ice - George R. R. Martin is still the best series I've read. Get an excel spreadsheet for all the cast and characters, print it out, then get a black magic marker to cross out the names of everyone he kills. In fact, get 2-3 black magic markers, as they will get used up fast.
    George RR Martin is great!! So right about killing everyone. "Make him fly, mommy!" ergh, so gross.

Yes | No

I guess Steven King isn't a must read, but everyone's probably read him -- what's your favorite King book? Mine's Christine.

Yes | No

My favorite king "book" was his novella "The Mist". One of the scariest stories I ever read.