Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iraqi Citizens Speak

Yes | No

Hey guys, has it ever occured to anyone here that the Iraqi people are not just one giant collective body of people that share the exact same views on the war? God, I'm really getting sick of people posting anecdotal stories and then saying "See? SEE? The Iraqis really do love/hate America! Just look at this parade/riot they threw when the Americans rescued/invaded them!"

I'm not against the war on some bullshit moral grounds, I'm against the fact that we don't have a fucking clue as to what we're going to do once we win. In the past week I've read about a dozen (mostly contradictory) news reports on plans for post-war Iraq, running the gamut from naive ("Once we take out Saddam, democracy will just suddenly materialize in the Middle East. Because I guess no one's thought of it before.") to half-assed ("We'll figure something out after we win") to just plain irresponsible ("Ehh, we'll just hand the country over to some tribal leader. They'll be fine."). Now, I may very well be wrong here. It's possible that I missed Bush's plan for a postwar Iraq amidst all the montages of shit getting blowed up real good and experts speculating that the man who looks, acts, talks, and sounds like Saddam Hussein is actually a robot clone. But the problem is, if Bush does have a plan, he sure as hell must not have any confidence in it. Otherwise, it'd be better-known.

Fact: Many Iraqis will be happy when Saddam Hussein leaves office. Fact: Many Iraqis will be unhappy if the U.S. doesn't clean up its mess and an even worse dictator comes by. Fact: Many Iraqis will be unhappy if the U.S. DOES stick around to clean up its mess. Fact: You can't please everybody, but in the Middle East, not pleasing everybody often results in people getting super-pissed and blowing other people up. This is a powderkeg, folks, and I can't believe how many people are just glossing over the most significant part of the war with glittering pleasantries such as "liberating an oppressed people" and "our duty to the world" and "removing the terrorist threat".

They don't call it the Nazi PARTY for nothing!

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Thank you Boyd.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Osiris

Yes | No

"Fact: You can't please everybody, but in the Middle East, not pleasing everybody often results in people getting super-pissed and blowing other people up. This is a powderkeg, folks, and I can't believe how many people are just glossing over the most significant part of the war with glittering pleasantries such as "liberating an oppressed people" and "our duty to the world" and "removing the terrorist threat"."

Thank you.

"A well set table, 'Third Rock From The Sun'
    Dead men hung, 'Caddilacs and dinosaurs'
    hot peanuts and fireworks, a Holocaust" - Warcloud

Yes | No

Well said Boyd.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi
    "Pranksters and LARPists write or call in threats. Guys like me claim responsibility.

-SFGoon.

"I can teach libs to love guns faster then I can teach cons to think, it seems."

-JohnnyCache

9chambers

Yes | No

On December 12, 2002, the Washington Post reported credible intelligence indicated that Iraq had delivered the highly lethal chemical nerve agent VX to an Al Qaida cell in Lebanon, presenting the U.S. and our allies with an unprecedented, ominous threat.

---

"We have solid reporting of senior level contacts between Iraq and Al Qaida going back a decade. Credible information indicates that Iraq and Al Qaida have discussed safe haven and reciprocal non-aggression. We have solid evidence of the presence in Iraq of Al Qaida members, including some who have been in Baghdad. We have credible reporting that Al Qaida leaders sought contacts in Iraq who could help them acquire WMD capabilities. The reporting also stated that Iraq has provided training to Al Qaida members in the areas of poisons and gases and making conventional bombs. Iraq's increased support to extremist Palestinians, coupled with growing indications of a relationship with Al Qaida, suggest that Baghdad's links to terrorists will increase, even absent U.S. military action."

http://216.26.163.62/2003/guest_holton_2_06.html

Osiris

Yes | No

Any other sources?

"A well set table, 'Third Rock From The Sun'
    Dead men hung, 'Caddilacs and dinosaurs'
    hot peanuts and fireworks, a Holocaust" - Warcloud