Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian conservative leader: Top priority is appointment of conservative judges

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Default Christian conservative leader: Top priority is appointment of conservative judges

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Christian conservative leaders say their top priority in President Bush's second term is the appointment of conservative judges to the Supreme Court and throughout the judicial system.

"We have high hopes of changing the judiciary. Every judicial appointment that President Bush makes will make the courts less radical and more in tune with the voters who turned out in Tuesday's election," said Gary Bauer (news - web sites), a prominent Christian conservative leader and president of American Values, a conservative pressure group.
    This is exactly what we do NOT need. I'm going to openly support the president because he was elected and he's got a job to do but THIS is the part right here that scares me. Did I read this wrong or is the religious right admitting openly that they're trying to infiltrate the govt? I strongly believe in a firm seperation of church and state but I think these people want to merge the two, morality in particular.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._christians_dc

Yes | No

My answer to people is I will be your president regardless of your faith, and I don't expect you to agree with me, necessarily, on religion. As a matter of fact, no president should ever try to impose religion on our society. The great -- the great tradition of America is one where people can worship the way they want to worship. And if they choose not to worship, you're just as patriotic as your neighbor. That is an essential part of why we are a great nation.

And I am glad people of faith voted in this election. I'm glad -- I appreciate all people who voted. And I don't think you ought to read anything into the politics, the moment, about whether or not this nation will become a divided nation over religion. I think the great thing that unites us is the fact you can worship freely if you choose, and if you -- you don't have to worship. And if you're a Jew or a Christian or a Muslim, you're equally American. That is -- that is such a wonderful aspect of our society, and it is strong today and it will be strong tomorrow.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...home-headlines
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Right, and he doesn't believe in a "litmus test" for judges either. He just supports strict constructionists...In other words, he has a litmus test.

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Thats what the president said, but presidents have a long history of saying one thing and doing another.

Do you think he MEANS it or will he appoint religious judges?

At least Ashcroft is gone, thats a HUGE plus for this administration.

But if a guy like Ashcfort can be appointed A.G. then I really cant see how it would be unthinkable to appoint extremely conservative judges.

Mr_Mantis

Yes | No

I am fairly frightened with what is going to happen. I hear Ashcroft is going to step down. This is great news. Could he be stepping down to get into the Chief Justice seat? This is horribly frightening!

I heard Bush on the radio yesterday respond to questions about his judicial appointments. To my horror, he basically stated that he would appoint those judges that he has picked in the past. Some of those judges were not qualified to be judges. In fact, I doubt he picks these people. I think they are picked by the Republican Party. Also, I believe that those judges pay quite a bit of money to the party before being put in those slots. We are talking hundreds of thousands.

Politics does not belong in the judicary! It is an outrage and a mockery of the system!

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

The article I mentioned says its the Christian Conservative leaders that are saying these things, not the president.

Yes | No

Just expect to hold him to his word.

Think about it, it's his last term in office. He is under no obligation to pander to the religious right now.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    I am fairly frightened with what is going to happen. I hear Ashcroft is going to step down. This is great news. Could he be stepping down to get into the Chief Justice seat? This is horribly frightening!

I heard Bush on the radio yesterday respond to questions about his judicial appointments. To my horror, he basically stated that he would appoint those judges that he has picked in the past. Some of those judges were not qualified to be judges. In fact, I doubt he picks these people. I think they are picked by the Republican Party. Also, I believe that those judges pay quite a bit of money to the party before being put in those slots. We are talking hundreds of thousands.

Politics does not belong in the judicary! It is an outrage and a mockery of the system!

And remember, Mr. Mantis is a Christian.

Conservative columnist David Brooks joked on NPR yesterday that Bush's victory speech would be: We've won. I'm appointing John Ashcroft to the Supreme Court. Let the healing begin!

PeedeeShaolin

Yes | No

Think about it, it's his last term in office. He is under no obligation to pander to the religious right now.
    This makes sense. I can see this administration mixing it up a bit and mellwoing out on the paybacks.

Hey....since he was only elected once does that mean he can run again? ;)

The Wastrel

Yes | No

Look, Dubya is the religious right.