Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A view of Iraq...

Yes | No

Default A view of Iraq...

Just wanted to point out something that caught my eye:

From Cap. Robert Gormly, in his book:
    "Combat Swimmer"

“The SEAL experience in Vietnam was a microcosm of the larger US military experience.
    We killed and captures a lot of communists but never on the real problem. The US fought the wrong type of war.
    ...But after awhile I realised that the best way to hurt the enemy was to cut off the heads of the political cadres that ran the show.
    ...We were fighting an ideology. Killing young man and women who had been forced, by terrorist means, into serving their communist masters, wasn’t going to defeat the ideology. The only way to do that was to capture or kill the ones spreading the ideas.
    The communist movement was like a giant lizard...each time we hacked off a portion of the tail and proclaimed a victory, the head grew more tail.
    The communist strategy was simple- keep fighting until enough political pressure built up in America to get out of the war.
    The communist leaders knew that if they could prolong the war, we’d eventually tire and go home-that was the lesson in Korea “

Now replace Vietnam with Iraq and communist with terrorists.

Interesting...

WingChun Lawyer

Yes | No

Point is, what is the ideology of the iraqi insurgents/terrorists/fanatics/bad people?

My guess: mostly it is a bit of nationalism mixed with religious fanaticism. It is a much deeper, (and dangerous) ideology than something created in the latter 19th century as communism, and it cannot be demonized that easily today. There was some trouble when Bush used the word "crusade" relating it to terrorism, remember?

The US government simply cannot fight a religious ideology, it can only attack its manifestations.

KhorneliusPraxx

Yes | No

I don't feel like thinking about this stuff today. I prefer the softer side of Roni. Where can I go to see some of your girly pics?

Yes | No

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    . It is a much deeper, (and dangerous) ideology than something created in the latter 19th century as communism, and it cannot be demonized that easily today. There was some trouble when Bush used the word "crusade" relating it to terrorism, remember?

The US government simply cannot fight a religious ideology, it can only attack its manifestations.
    Yes, indeed.
    The "rebels" have no problem in fighting this war for decades, does the US ?

Yes | No

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Point is, what is the ideology of the iraqi insurgents/terrorists/fanatics/bad people?

My guess: mostly it is a bit of nationalism mixed with religious fanaticism. It is a much deeper, (and dangerous) ideology than something created in the latter 19th century as communism, and it cannot be demonized that easily today. There was some trouble when Bush used the word "crusade" relating it to terrorism, remember?

It's a mixed bag.

The Sunni minority, which under the Ba'ath regime was held absolute power under Hussein wants it back.

The Islamofascists in Iran, Syria, etc, are sending in agents to stir up sentiment against the new government because a Democratic Afghanistan AND Iraq shift the power from the Mullahs and Dictators to the people.

The Wahabist Terrorists, Al Qaeda, Ansar Al Islam, and the like, are more indirectly related to the Islamofascists, though operating under the delusion they're doing it for the glory of their religion when they're really just willing tools to keep current power structures in place.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "
    - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes | No

Originally posted by ronin69
    Yes, indeed.
    Or if history has shown (with the Crusades) for centuries.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Yes | No

Wow our foreign policy sucks.
    Rest is for the weak

LOVED2BLOVED

Yes | No

Originally posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I don't feel like thinking about this stuff today. I prefer the softer side of Roni. Where can I go to see some of your girly pics?
    im feeling exactly the same,

Yes | No

Originally posted by ronin69
    Yes, indeed.
    Yes, the US has a problem. Our short attention spans and political need for quick little wars has been our archiles heel for decades. They know it. We know it. But we are certainly not going to change it given the political environment in the US today..

Yes | No

This is a war that will not end anytime soon and the cost in lives will get higher and higher.
    This may will be one of the US's biggest mistakes.