Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The difference between a soldier and a terrorist.

Yes | No

Default The difference between a soldier and a terrorist.

The difference between a soldier and a terrorist.

I can only speak for myself on this one, but I am sure that the other current/former military men will, hopefully, chime in.

Have I served in active duty ?
    Yes.
    Peacekeeper in Bosnia in ‘98.
    Did I kill anyone?
    Yes.
    How many?
    I try NOT to remember.
    Why?

Because I take no joy, or any pride in the knowledge that, I live in a world that requires me to kill so that other(s) may live.
    I remember every single face of the men I killed.
    Every single one of them.
    I remember their eyes.
    Do I regret it?
    I regret I live in a world where killing is a necessity in some cases.
    I have never killed out of hatred, never indiscriminately, EVER.

Even that certain bastard that, along with 3 others, was trying to rape that little girl, that bastard that I put a bullet in to stop them, that situation that cost me to leave the army, I don’t hate him.

I did what I had to, to protect.

And THAT is what made me different than those who strap bombs to themselves, that kill children out of anger and hatred.

Wither or not you agree, I don’t care.
    This, I needed to say.

Paul

cyrijl

Yes | No

there is a difference. Unfortunately it sometimes depends where you are standing. I don't buy that the war in a iraq is for occupation. I wish it were. If this was a war for occupation you'd see us killing alot more ppl and taking better care of oil and resources.

Yes | No

Ronin, I hope you realize that untold millions of civilians have died in wars simply because they were there, and that there are untold millions more of their living relatives still wandering the world who are likely to get very, very angry when someone is cavalier about the issue of civilian deaths.
    “Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to destabilize their country, and we will help them rid Iraq of these killers.” George W. Bush

Originally posted by Matt W.
    Those of you who see a moral equivalency between terrorism and war seem to do so based on the idea that killing innocents (civilians, non-combatents, what have you) = killing innocents.

Yes | No

Did you even READ my post ?

LLL

Yes | No

ronin;

I really like you as a person; but your description does not really present any difference.

Most 'terrorists' have the same ideals; they just don't have any other support / weapons than strapping bombs to themselves...

& sorry if I sound like a terrorist supporter... but generally my view is that armies and terrorists are basically two sides of the same shit; the ones who are currently in control are the 'army' and the others are the 'terrorists'.

Matt Bernius

Yes | No

To Ronin's point, while I have not served in the miltary, I have in recent years become close to a man who served in WW2.

In talking with him, it is clear how much what he experience more that sixty years ago still effects him. I have no idea how many he had to kill. But I can tell you he took no pleasure it in. He had no blood lust. He doesn't regret what he did. But he still has to live with it each and every day, in much the same ways that Ronin describes.

And he still remembers the people that he did help liberate and what they looked like. I'm not sure if there is ever such a thing a just war. I also think those who attack people who have served without attempting to understand what they went through are ignorant and indefensible.

- Matt

THE GOVERNMENT staff Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

Yes | No

Originally posted by LLL
    Most 'terrorists' have the same ideals; they just don't have any other support / weapons than strapping bombs to themselves...
    Stop and think about what you are saying for a second.

Soldier: "War is Hell."
    Terrorist: "KILL ALL THE INFIDELS!"

Do you see a difference there?

LLL

Yes | No

Originally posted by Shumagorath
    Stop and think about what you are saying for a second.

Soldier: "War is Hell."
    Terrorist: "KILL ALL THE INFIDELS!"

Do you see a difference there?
    Do most of people who go to war say 'war is hell'. No... People who have already been in wars say that.

People, like the American teenagers who are going to Iraq, say "I'm going to war and become a great badass hero like my grandfather."

Yes | No

Originally posted by LLL
    Do most of people who go to war say 'war is hell'. No... People who have already been in wars say that.

People, like the American teenagers who are going to Iraq, say "I'm going to war and become a great badass hero like my grandfather."
    Those are far and few between.

I said:
    "Because I take no joy, or any pride in the knowledge that, I live in a world that requires me to kill so that other(s) may live.
    I remember every single face of the men I killed.
    Every single one of them.
    I remember their eyes.
    Do I regret it?
    I regret I live in a world where killing is a necessity in some cases.
    I have never killed out of hatred, never indiscriminately, EVER."

That sounds like something a terrorist would say ?

Yes | No

Originally posted by ronin69
    Did you even READ my post ?
    Certainly I did. Marvelous. But have you read between the lines of mine? I took your post to be a contextualization of your earlier remarks, and so I made my own offering in that spirit.
    “Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to destabilize their country, and we will help them rid Iraq of these killers.” George W. Bush

Originally posted by Matt W.
    Those of you who see a moral equivalency between terrorism and war seem to do so based on the idea that killing innocents (civilians, non-combatents, what have you) = killing innocents.