Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World at War

Yes | No

Default World at War

Caught this on the BBC last night, dunno if anyone else saw it but it was a real shock (to me anyway).

"Every minute, two people are killed in conflicts around the world. Often we know very little about the people who are fighting and dying. One Day of War follows individual fighters in 16 of these wars, over the same 24-hour period."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...troduction.stm

Basically, I had NO idea how much of this planet was at war, the program showed a very different planet that we in the west normally get pumped to us via the media - I saw a world full of huge tracts of land, forgotten by shifting global interests leaving power vacuums which have been filled with warlords, terror groups and other crappy little tinpot regimes.

Children with machine guns fighting for no reason, whole races being hunted into extinction and having to survive by eating whatever they can scavenge from their habitat (weeping on arrival of the camera crews because they thought the 'world' had come back to save them - right).

<rant> These wars all seem to have one thing in common, destabilisation of the region because of the collapse of the Soviet Union, Britain deciding that the Empire game wasn't quite it's cup of tea or the US deciding one group should be in power over another... in other words - us!

This is the only international soap box I know of (or have any confidence in the mental capacity of its readers), and I know that there are people here who have seen 'this' world first hand. What can be done about this?

I say the primary govts *glaring directly at the UK and US* stopping their media masturbation and start attacking some of the key issues that are facing this planet, or this global conflict will keep spilling over onto our streets (ala 911, Madrid etc) or before we know it we are going to glow in the dark. So what can we do?</rant>

Yes | No

Welcome to the real world, and its been this way since the beginning.
    Never mistake the excuses for wars with the REASONS for wars.

Yes | No

ronin - I have read a lot of your posts (I believe you have seen active service?) and you seem to be knowledgable, is this really the world?

I found this documentary very disturbing. There were kids (girls and boys of school age) with fookin M16s and AKs shrugging their shoulders about getting shot, and shooting people.

I feel very angry that our govts are allowing this sort of thing to go on while *we* live in paradise, what really gets me though is the way that the western world caused most of this suffering and the turned our backs, piped some happy happy good luck stories through the various media outlets and we all go back to eating McDonalds and worrying about bogeymen.

I mean there was a trench war that has been going on for longer than WW1!!!!!
    One of the most important things you can learn is to 'KNOW' you are the baddest mofo on the planet. In Chinese my teacher calls it 'danzi'. (literally 'gall bladder' ???) in English 'courage' in colloquial English: BallZ!

Grow'em.
    - Omar

Yes | No

This is the world. There are always at least a half dozen wars going on at any given time, and it is not uncommon to see KIDS fighting them.

Two things to recognize:

(1) While it is easy to point to the wrongs in the world, it is much more difficult to fix them. They are often complex, wicked problems with no simple solutions.

(2) Recognize and appreciate how good your life is. Not everyone in this world lives the same way.

stoogejitsu

Yes | No

The world can be a very horrible place, I wish I could have seen this documentary but I don't get the BBC, so I guess I will have to settle for reading the descriptions on the site you posted. There is much more crap going on out there than most of us "westerners" realize, but there seems to be no end in site, the world sadly has always been, and most likely will always be a violent place, It seems almost impossible that things will change, at least in our lifetimes.

Yes | No

PD - I swear this coffee tastes better (I will never call it freeze dried shit again)!

Seriously though, you are right - these people have NOTHING, except a rifle and a short life certain to end in pain.
    One of the most important things you can learn is to 'KNOW' you are the baddest mofo on the planet. In Chinese my teacher calls it 'danzi'. (literally 'gall bladder' ???) in English 'courage' in colloquial English: BallZ!

Grow'em.
    - Omar

Yes | No

Unfortunatley, yes, this is the world that WE have made.
    By our greed, our indefference, our hatred and our stupidity.

Yes | No

"Unfortunatley, yes, this is the world that WE have made.
    By our greed, our indefference, our hatred and our stupidity."

The greed I can understand, even to an extent the hatred and stupidity (we are only human after all), what I cannot abide is the indifference!! I mean, I consider myself a reasonably well educated person, I have travelled and yet I had NO appreciation of the depth of shit most of the world is drowning in. Why isnt this on the front cover of all the newspapers 'world flushing itself down toilet'? why dont we care?

Grow'em.
    - Omar

stoogejitsu

Yes | No

Just watch some of the crappy reality tv shows on mtv (or most other networks) , and you'll see what a very large proportion of are fellow westerners are actually like, their idiocy and shallowness are sickening, or just watch the news on any given day, more people care about what kobe bryant or Micheal Jackson are doing than how many soldiers have died in Iraq, or how intense the fighting is between Israel and Palestine, it seems alot of people don't know, or simply don't care about what's going on in the rest of the world, but nothing can really be done about this.

Yes | No

Agreed SJ - the difference between the west and 'the rest' (if you will pardon the generalisation) was even apparent in the documentary, the 'troops' for some of these 'armies' were fighting each other for scraps of food. Whereas the US troops were talking about college, and complaining about lack of cheese on their burgers! Thats not some slight on the US Armed forces btw, just an obs.

I seriously recommend trying to get as much info as you can from the website, who knows one day it may air in the US. Sounds cheesy, but I feel different after watching this.

Grow'em.
    - Omar