Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World at War

Yes | No

I had a friend who was a child soldeir in South East Asia. In his case with the Khymer Rouge. You either joined them or they will kill you. Child soldiers are still very common (besides Africa) in Asian countries like Burma, Thailand etc.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Yes | No

kalibloke

Yes | No

i dont want to drop too much on ya, but here are some ideas.

1. the world has not always been like this. battles, sure, harsh stuff yeah. but india africa and latin america were once pretty well off places generally speaking and are now shitholes. that started with colonization-1492 etc and went till whats called decolonization(european powers pulled out of africa asia after ww2 etc.) since then things are in some ways even worse.

2. switching cofee brands is not an effective tactic, but it is funny taht someone suggested that.

3.there are also war zones and poverty in the "1st world" . for instance canada is one of the most well off countries in the world, often considered one o f the best to live in in the world(by the un and others). but its natives(aboriginal/indians) have a standard of living rated just after thailand.

4. the less people know about world history , the more they will tell you the world is fucked, count yer lucky stars, its always been this way, oh what a mess "out there" etc.
    everything very undifferntiated. no analyses.

5.actually the more you learn the more you see patterns and clear dynamics. things are actually relatively straightforward. unfortunately most of the indirect effect of school, tv, magazines, etc is to hide the basic facts so that instead of acting, people can opt out, throw up their arms and say"people are messed up" or "its a mess, there is no solution"

DJeter1234

Yes | No

just don't try to buy African's out of slavery. I remember reading abut one charitable institutions that bought so many slave's their freedome the greatly increased the slave trade.

This is the problem. I have little doubt that some money/management of the situation could greatly facilitate some of these things getting better. But I honestly think that these changes have to come from within if they are to have any permenant sucess. The US couldn't just go in there and set up a democracy and start paying health care benefirst, even if it could afford it.

Btw, I'd be carefull attributing all of the world's problems to capitalism and especially to the US. War has always been rampant, but now we have better weapons and it is more apparent. At least a society like ours has found a way to support itself and live in reletive peace.

Yes | No

the worlds problems do not all come from the us, though no one can deny the us has defintely killed more people in war the 20th century and dropped more bombs than any other country. howeverto talk about countries is relatively abstract, its hard to be clear starting from such a wide topic. obviously groups and systems and trends are the actors on the world stage much more so than countries.
    i think capitalism has been the major horror of the modern age, if we can understand so called communist regimes, fascism, and western market influenced capitalism as different forms of state capitalism.

i have to agree that some of the world was unfree and brutal before this, but not everywhere. and now its everywhere.
    certainly in europe before capitalism there was serfdom which was no fun.
    and before that in the west there were ancient slave based societies(romans,egyptians) and china in the east and so on. but any real examination shows a qualitative change in the rules of warfare, and of course huge amounts of free peoples and others were brutally subjagated in the americas and elsewhere. nothing really compares to the last 500 years though, especially the last 300.

the worlds problems also come from patriarchy,gerentocracy,white supremacy(tied up with capitalism), and sexual repression to name a few and so on. trhats not to reduce them to only these things, but to say if these things were dealt with that most of these kind of horrors would be really reduced, and so would the offshoots like the ecologigical crisis etc.

also DJeter1234, i wonder what way we have to live that puts us in relative peace? what do we live off of, how are we doing and are things changing?

i think the ride is only gonna get bumpier for the usa.

Yes | No

sin_dios - thanks for the thoughts. It was the amount of the world that is in conflict that blew me away. It really IS everywhere and yet the majority of the western world carries on in blissful ignorance. You are correct in that there are definite patterns to this madness, the most apparent being some global power either withdrawing from or tampering with the region in question. I.e. the fall of the Soviet Union, Belgium withdrawing from the Congo (I believe it was Belgium, please correct me if I wrong), the UK withdrawing from various places etc etc.. See DJeter, I dont just blame the US ;-) I blame everyone.

However given the machine like way in which western societies feed on the raw materials of the third world it is simply not in "our" interests to help out. We would be instantly poorer, which is not a tag line likely to get anyone elected.

Which is sad, as this global war is only going to get worse and as it does the victims of this war will inevitably blame the UK, US etc for causing this damage to their society and this will lead to the war spilling over into our lives in what we describe as terrorism.
    One of the most important things you can learn is to 'KNOW' you are the baddest mofo on the planet. In Chinese my teacher calls it 'danzi'. (literally 'gall bladder' ???) in English 'courage' in colloquial English: BallZ!

Grow'em.
    - Omar

DJeter1234

Yes | No

That I can agree with

"i think capitalism has been the major horror of the modern age, if we can understand so called communist regimes, fascism, and western market influenced capitalism as different forms of state capitalism. "

hmm, yeah, if you redefine capitalism the economic system as anytime someone makes an action in his/her/it's own interest then you can attribute quite a lot to it.

Anyway, I agree that things are bad, and that certain things the US does feeds off this inequality, but I don't beleive the US cuased it or is morally REQUIRED to fix it. I do, however, believe that it is in the US's best long-term interest to help our where it can. However, this difference of mindset requires countries to step up and lead their metamorphesis.

Yes | No

people live and people die. dont cling to things while your here.
    http://deansbrain.ytmnd.com/

DJeter1234

Yes | No

a budhist pacifist? Btw, ur sig is flawed. Orderly patterns emerge in chaos, even if all scientists accpeted that everything was on some level entirely based on probability functions. But that's not for this thread.

btw, not an athiest

Yes | No

semantics semantics semantics :) that is a large part of the sig.
    Last edited by Ignorant; 1st June 04 at 08:49 AM.
    http://deansbrain.ytmnd.com/