PDA

View Full Version : Makiwara training

Ronin
20th January 04, 02:18 PM
Training with the padded post:

Obsolete or necessity ??

Does it harm the hands too much?
Are the benefits to the wrist worth it?
Are there any modern methods that are better?
Is bag work just as good ?

GAB corp.
20th January 04, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ronin69
Training with the padded post:

Obsolete or necessity ??

Does it harm the hands too much?
Are the benefits to the wrist worth it?
Are there any modern methods that are better?
Is bag work just as good ?

I think makiwara training is really good. I don't think it hurts the hands (unless you hit it wrong or don't make a tight first). As for causing arthritis, I'm not convinced that makiwara training causes it, as far as I've heard, you can't really cause arthritis.

As for the wrists, that's exactly what makiwara training is for. To make sure you keep your wrist straight.

I don't know of any modern methods. Do you mean like using a heavy bag? From experience with that, all I can say that hitting a heavy bag really hurts my wrists, I can feel it vibrating sort of @[email protected]

Jenfucius
20th January 04, 07:11 PM
i have hand qigong that is better than either, but i'm not sharing!

my hands used to hurt after hitting the heavy bag but now i have no problem.

Freddy
20th January 04, 07:12 PM
My dad knows of a few case where nerve damaged has occur from years of hitting hard surface areas. According to my dad their hands trembles alot.

GAB corp.
20th January 04, 07:51 PM
Does it matter if the surface it hard, but stiff, or hard but more flexible?

X_plosion
21st January 04, 12:09 PM
Here's an honest view from someone who's had experience with it.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/28_makiwara.html

Ronin
21st January 04, 12:32 PM
The board MUST have give.

Ronin
21st January 04, 12:44 PM
Serious Makiwara:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6377

GAB corp.
21st January 04, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by X_plosion
Here's an honest view from someone who's had experience with it.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/28_makiwara.html

I disagree with some of the stuff said there. First of all I don't do shotokan, so that may be the reason. Secondly, the type of language he uses kind of lowers his credibility. Anyway, to continue:

You can do more than just a reverse punch. You can punch with your punching hand in front. You can back hand it. You can "uppercut" it (sort of hard to explain).

As far as the bleeding goes, I agree with him to an extent. I mean, if you use your own makiwara pad, then it shouldn't be a problem since no one is supposed to use yours except for you.

That's all for now...btw, I noticed that the back of his makiwara is flat. Does anyone who trains with them have it flat or curved?

Ronin
21st January 04, 03:02 PM
The only good part of that article os the part where he talks about getting your weight behind the strike.

On a side note, anyone ever snap their makiwara?

GAB corp.
21st January 04, 03:09 PM
I haven't, but some people at the dojo have. I think the makiwara was old.

The_Ghost
21st January 04, 03:34 PM
Makiwara good? I would hope so I've been using it for almost two years. As for arthiritis....whatever.

I know two people (both my instructors) who have been practicing with the makiwara for 45 years and neither of them have arthiritis.

Ronin
21st January 04, 04:01 PM
Ihave snapped a 2X4 makiwara, I have not YET snapped a 4X4, but I will !!!!!!!

Justme
21st January 04, 04:03 PM
I can't even discuss this since Steven Seagul's movie when he came out of the coma, and was training with one.... Took all the joy out of this piece of equipment for me....:(

IndoChinese
21st January 04, 04:27 PM
"Ihave snapped a 2X4 makiwara, I have not YET snapped a 4X4, but I will !!!!!!!'

I cracked one ronin, not a full break, but...

Ronin
21st January 04, 04:28 PM
Cracked a 4x4 ?
Dude, I am inspired !!!

The_Ghost
21st January 04, 05:17 PM
Steven Seagal trained with one of these in a movie?

Fuck. *walks away from makiwara*

Freddy
21st January 04, 05:58 PM
I'm still a die hard traditionalist when it comes to hardening your fist, palms etc. (With the proper training method in mind.) Eventually instead of beating up bricks I hit steel plates instead.

GAB corp.
21st January 04, 06:11 PM
Makiwaras are meant for your wrists...

IndoChinese
21st January 04, 06:50 PM
Makiwaras are meant for your wrists...

yah, extend arm and twist slowly into punch formation...

GAB corp.
21st January 04, 06:51 PM
yeah......?

BeLikeWater
25th January 04, 08:00 AM
for those of you who use them is there a place for bag hitting too or there's no need?

I mean bag hitting without gloves/wraps. If not hanging bag what about wallbag?

Freddy
25th January 04, 10:18 AM
I personally wouldnt ignore bag hitting. There seems to be alot more resistance. Wall bags are good too. Not so much for hitting round/hook punches but they do help in conditioning your knuckles.

Footclansoldier
2nd February 04, 02:46 PM
I used to train with a makiwara, now I have no more use for it. I practise punching on a bag and I train my wrists doing fist pushups.