PDA

View Full Version : Which side forward??

Balloonknot
20th November 03, 01:08 PM
Yo Playaz,

I'm just curious, what side do you lead with? I mean most righties have their left side forward with the right hand cocked back, but I've seen many folks who fight with their strong side forward; right side forward. My former teacher told me to lead with my strongest side forward, that way my power punch and kicking leg (right hand; right leg) would be into the mix right away. Also, for me, it seems to serve my "trapping" techniques better.

I guess it depends on who you're fighting but I prefer my right side forward. What do you guys/gals prefer??

Ronin
20th November 03, 01:14 PM
I used to lead with my stongest weapon, but that was used only agianst women :)

poet
20th November 03, 01:29 PM
I have always been a southpaw(sp.)

kikkoman893
20th November 03, 01:36 PM
i am right handed but i trained myself to be southpawed

CIimax
20th November 03, 01:49 PM
i do both, just to try to throw the other person off.

Ronin
20th November 03, 01:52 PM
I find that, by facing your attacker straight on, with you legs in a wide horse stance and your hands behind you back and eyes wide open and you chin up to give access to your throat, that, the attacker is so intimidated by your stance that he runs away in terror !!! please feel free to try this yourself.

SifuAbel
20th November 03, 02:09 PM
I like my left side forward more, but I'll switch to change tactic. My right may be stronger but my left is faster.

HAPKO3
20th November 03, 02:14 PM
I am a lefty, and I fight with my right side forward. I believe in keeping the stronger weapon back. I believe in going for the knockout, and it works better for me to create openings with my weaker hand, and snipe with the stronger to finish the fight. The jab is your canopener, the cross is your spoon.

I have put a lot of effort into having power behind my jab, an especially the lead right (commited jab), though.

SifuAbel
20th November 03, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ronin69
I find that, by facing your attacker straight on, with you legs in a wide horse stance and your hands behind you back and eyes wide open and you chin up to give access to your throat, that, the attacker is so inimidated by your stance that he runs away in terror !!! please feel free to try this yourself.

Even better if this guy has a knife stuck in his testicles and he's yelling , "Twist it, I dare ya , i double dare!!"

Justme
20th November 03, 02:19 PM
"I find that, by facing your attacker straight on, with you legs in a wide horse stance and your hands behind you back and eyes wide open and you chin up to give access to your throat, that, the attacker is so inimidated by your stance that he runs away in terror !!! please feel free to try this yourself."

Ronin....are we feeling a little silly today!!!! Good point though.

Disaster Master
20th November 03, 02:24 PM
My striking is heavily influenced by boxing; I am right handed and lead with my left.

The last few years Iíve been working on switching my lead from left to right, back and forth. Iíve got it ok on the outside but itís still awkward on the inside.

MMA_Phil
20th November 03, 02:47 PM
I'm right handed southpaw. I don't think it really matters as long as you are comfortable - there are pros and cons for both ways. IMHO, whilst training on both sides may help you out for if you get wrong footed, you do not want to keep switching your stance - tis bad.

drunkenj
20th November 03, 02:56 PM
i fight leftr lead all the time, even for judo and grappling , even thogh i am right handed

Ronin
20th November 03, 03:00 PM
If you think that was silly:

Balloonknot
20th November 03, 03:07 PM
It's always the guys from Canada isn't it?? LOL.

Justme
20th November 03, 03:10 PM
Laughing does help keep you warm and Canada is very cold. So I guess it just kind of goes hand in hand.

Ronin
20th November 03, 03:21 PM
You should see the shit in the no holds barred area !!!!!!!

Veridian
20th November 03, 03:35 PM
I fight right side for the reasons you mentioned ballonknot.

but a lot of times it is determined by the other persons stance, If they are left I am right, if they are right I am left. It makes it so my lead leg can sweep their lead leg

And when this happens they are screwed, (kind of like what is happening to that poor rabbit in the Kermit picture)

tallpaul50
20th November 03, 06:15 PM
I learned, teach and agree with the philosophy that you need to be moving when fighting. Stationary targets are going to get hit..period.

As for left or right foot forward..either is used and changed frequently, going from front stances, to a straddle stance and varying which leg is forward to the opponent.

Hand positioning varys. It can be higher, like a boxer, or mid-height around the middle of the chest. Again, moving often, never stagnent.

SMF
13th January 04, 02:53 AM
i have no milk for tea.

SamHarber
13th January 04, 04:12 AM
I used to fence. I can't shake the stance now.

Halogen
13th January 04, 06:35 AM
I'm a right handed southpaw. It always felt more natural to me, so I kept using it.

Jenfucius
13th January 04, 10:55 PM
my left arm possesses the invincible power of pi quan so i must lead with it. my right arm is for the manifestation of changes in case i have to change seasons rapidly.

Jenfucius
13th January 04, 10:56 PM
of course the important thing is that my qi is alive and actively rotating on ball bearings around my dan tien. the qi leads, the body follows.

Jenfucius
13th January 04, 10:58 PM
anyone else use the left to pull down the other guy's guard instead of jabbing?

Shuma-Gorath
13th January 04, 11:11 PM
My right side is my strong side so I keep it back. Reverse punches are my best scoring weapon, and a back-leg roundhouse kick packs way more power from the hip rotation. My left side is more useful forward for a quick front kick or other type of poke, or even a grab to set up a throw. Also, since my front leg is a little faster I can block leg kicks more effectively, and if it does get hurt they haven't taken away my strongest weapon.

Weapons are a mixed bag. Long weapons like a sword or staff mean right side forward, whereas with short weapons like a tonfa that merge with empty-hand techniques I stay right side back.

Southpaw
13th January 04, 11:28 PM
I prefer strong (left) side forward, but comfortable with either.

I like my best weapon closest to the target...there's still plenty of space to generate knockout power.

Shuma-Gorath
13th January 04, 11:49 PM
Your preference is your preference, but don't you find it's easy for someone to pass your most powerful weapon to clinch or at least tie it up?

Southpaw
14th January 04, 12:01 AM
Not at all.

If a weapon that is "easy for someone to pass" is my most powerful, then I've got bigger problems.

I like my strong hand to lead so that if someone tries to pass it I can knock them the fuck out.
And if they grab it I've got a bridge.

Besides, I've got other weapons too.

Shuma-Gorath
14th January 04, 12:14 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Punisher
14th January 04, 12:15 PM
I read once that most boxers start out preferring to fight with their dominant side forward, which usually means southpaw, but are then trained to fight in a traditional stance. The idea being you want to maximize your power.

CanuckMA
14th January 04, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Justme
Laughing does help keep you warm and Canada is very cold. So I guess it just kind of goes hand in hand.

You're from Cleveland and you complain about Canada being cold???????????

CanuckMA
14th January 04, 03:01 PM
I switch. My right punch is slightly better than my left. Different legs perform different kicks better. I'll switch my stance depending on what I want to do or to adjust to my opponent's stance. You should train to be comfortable with both sides.

WingChun Lawyer
15th January 04, 01:33 PM
Hm, I donīt move any side forward. Wing chun theory, got to control the centerline, etc. Worked for me so far.