PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Downs Syndrome couple want to stop them from breeding

Harpy
4th October 16, 12:01 AM
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/down-syndrome-couple-fights-for-right-to-have-children/7843590?pfmredir=sm

This story makes me sad :/

The parents of the couple recognise they are in love but say the couple should not have children. I agree. When the couple make statements about 'having 4 children' one instantly recognises they are not thinking of the future or their realities. Then they make profound comments such as "I know some people say it's all about hard work but it's not - it's all about love and compassion that you have for your kids."

"I don't see parenthood as something that they're going to achieve, or really they should achieve" (father). I can imagine the odds of the grandparents having to support their grandchild would be high. Plus the added risk factor of the child being born with DS.

Queensland (Toby land) Disability advocates have come out in the couple's corner saying that they should have a right to make choices about their own bodies.

Should parents' make these choices for their disabled children when they come of age (sterilise them?). Or should state government agencies mediate with adult caregivers to make decisions on a case by case basis? Or let the challenging odds play themselves out?

MerkinMuffly
4th October 16, 12:48 AM
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/down-syndrome-couple-fights-for-right-to-have-children/7843590?pfmredir=sm

This story makes me sad :/

The parents of the couple recognise they are in love but say the couple should not have children. I agree. When the couple make statements about 'having 4 children' one instantly recognises they are not thinking of the future or their realities. Then they make profound comments such as "I know some people say it's all about hard work but it's not - it's all about love and compassion that you have for your kids."

"I don't see parenthood as something that they're going to achieve, or really they should achieve" (father). I can imagine the odds of the grandparents having to support their grandchild would be high. Plus the added risk factor of the child being born with DS.

Queensland (Toby land) Disability advocates have come out in the couple's corner saying that they should have a right to make choices about their own bodies.

Should parents' make these choices for their disabled children when they come of age (sterilise them?). Or should state government agencies mediate with adult caregivers to make decisions on a case by case basis? Or let the challenging odds play themselves out?

Toby is not Down Syndrome, you insensitive skank.

NoBowie
4th October 16, 01:24 AM
You should have to get a license to have children. This is definitely a case of do not grant that license.

Harpy
4th October 16, 02:56 AM
Toby is not Down Syndrome, you insensitive skank.
Your considerate language and sensitivity must be applauded (for once).

NoB - would your licence just have been a numbers thing? Technically you are fit in every way to have kids. Would there be a quota under your regime?

Pie of Hate
4th October 16, 03:27 AM
The licence should be on a points based system similar to immigration and background checks similar to fire arms applications.

Harpy
4th October 16, 04:10 AM
One time check only with unlimited kids? Sounds like marriage.

Pie of Hate
4th October 16, 04:28 AM
Similar to, not same as. 1 license per child.

Cullion
4th October 16, 06:09 AM
eh doesnt sound like a big problem to fuck-out the double-downs in australia. just have it pump iron and make it a master-blaster helmet.

NoBowie
4th October 16, 10:44 AM
NoB - would your licence just have been a numbers thing? Technically you are fit in every way to have kids. Would there be a quota under your regime?

Yes. After establishing mental / physical fitness to raise the child, financial fitness is also important and would need to be established for each subsequent child. So, well off folks would be able to have more than poor folks. That certainly makes more sense than folks on welfare pumping out children for a bigger check each month.

eh doesnt sound like a big problem to fuck-out the double-downs in australia. just have it pump iron and make it a master-blaster helmet.

The problem here is 2 enter... 3 leave.

Cullion
4th October 16, 04:05 PM
The problem here is 2 enter... 3 leave.

they've got to fill up all that space somehow.