PDA

View Full Version : Now this is gardening!

NoBowie
27th July 16, 03:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lDg5rUv.gif

Weeds, waters, plants, fertilizes, analyzes soil. Keep it in the backyard though.

https://farmbot.io/

(https://farmbot.io/)

Feryk
27th July 16, 04:08 PM
How efficient is it compared to humans? Can it grow more/sq.ft? Use optimal amounts of fertizer/food/pesticides?

NoBowie
27th July 16, 04:38 PM
How efficient is it compared to humans? Can it grow more/sq.ft? Use optimal amounts of fertizer/food/pesticides?

Not sure. It does say 'FarmBot grown veggies create 25% fewer CO2 emissions than standard US veggies.' and 'FarmBot grown veggies are significantly less expensive than veggies purchased at the grocery store. The return on your investment is estimated to be between three and five years.' and 'one FarmBot Genesis kit (1.5m x 3m in area) can continuously grow all of the veggies for one person’s needs. This is assuming year-round growing.'

It is completely open source, even cad / cam info, so there is lots of room for making improvements / changes based on your needs. Of course, you can just buy the kit.

Just the weed detecting camera, auto-watering, and auto-planting is good enough for me. It will cost $3900 at launch, it is $2900 right now. And the software is drag and drop planting like a video game.

http://i.imgur.com/0mLo6Fp.gif

Syntactical Disruptorize
27th July 16, 04:46 PM
Farmville: For Realz

NoBowie
27th July 16, 04:53 PM
Farmville: For Realz

Exactly. Throw a remote camera up there to watch it do its thing, it is controllable via app, perfect.

I like it when real life is turned into a game much better than games mimicking real life.

P.S. I got 200 points in 'Assfuckery Tetris III' so far this month.

Feryk
27th July 16, 04:55 PM
/NoB, are you actually committing to this? If so, please share pics/ progress.

You realize that a few more generations of this and doofa becomes totally redundant, right?

Feryk
27th July 16, 04:56 PM
Exactly. Throw a remote camera up there to watch it do its thing, it is controllable via app, perfect.

I like it when real life is turned into a game much better than games mimicking real life.

P.S. I got 200 points in 'Assfuckery Tetris III' so far this month.

The process is called 'gamification'. And I'll be impressed when you get points in Analpokemon Go.

NoBowie
27th July 16, 05:29 PM
/NoB, are you actually committing to this?

I am not an early adopter. I generally like waiting for version 2. I do want a garden starting next year. This is set to launch in Feb 2017, so I will see how it goes and adopt if it tests well with the version 1 folks. I wonder if the camera can recognize when a rambunctious three year-old wanders into the plot during weeding cycle and avoid puncturing them or attempting to plant seeds inside them.

You realize that a few more generations of this and doofa becomes totally redundant, right?

Imagine a world where everyone can power their own home with solar or other sources and largely feed themselves with robots. I would love to see what that would do to the focus of the economy.

MerkinMuffly
27th July 16, 05:36 PM
NoB imagines a world where a low cost pegging machine replaces the Bulgarian money-pit.

NoBowie
27th July 16, 05:49 PM
NoB imagines a world where a low cost pegging machine replaces the Bulgarian money-pit.

God yes. It should be an enema machine, toilet, fleshlight, and pleasure plugger all in one.

Plus, it should insult me in foreign languages as it does the deed.

Harpy
30th July 16, 04:09 AM
NoB - are you a capable and keen gardener? I want to get into it, next year when I move into my new place I'm planning on starting small just with border gardening and creating some sort of garden nook on one of the pathways - never done anything beyond wedding and watering plants. It can't be that hard right?

MerkinMuffly
30th July 16, 11:39 AM
Why don't you start by trimming that out-of-control bush down under?

NoBowie
31st July 16, 09:13 AM
Growing up we had a 1/8 acre garden, we were poor and needed the food.

Haven't done anything garden related since then.

Syntactical Disruptorize
31st July 16, 10:32 AM
I thought the whole point of this rig was to eliminate the need to be a capable and keen gardener.

Adouglasmhor
31st July 16, 05:55 PM
Just don't let it talk you into removing its restraining bolt.

Syntactical Disruptorize
31st July 16, 05:58 PM
Just don't let it talk you into removing its restraining bolt.

I'm sorry, Dave. I can't plant that.

Syntactical Disruptorize
31st July 16, 05:58 PM
God yes. It should be an enema machine, toilet, fleshlight, and pleasure plugger all in one.

Plus, it should insult me in foreign languages as it does the deed.

I know several, many still in use.