PDA

View Full Version : Is any body not cheating?

Üser Friendly
3rd April 16, 06:33 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/british-doctor-alleges-he-doped-150-high-profile-sportsmen-1.2596721

Is it time to allow performance enhancing drugs in professional sport?

Or is a clean/dirty split required to level the playing field for those who decide not to use a chemical edge to win?

Feryk
4th April 16, 01:53 PM
Very soon. When the technology to enhance performance becomes cost effective and safer, then yes.

Kurzweil discusses this with respect to artificial red blood cells. When you get a high school kid who can sprint the 10,000 meter race at full speed - he will beat the non doped athletes every single time.

Having said that, we are still waiting for the artificial red blood cells to show up.

Üser Friendly
4th April 16, 04:09 PM
I don't think PEDs are banned due to health and safety

Harpy
6th April 16, 05:45 AM
I'm all for having performance enhanced-sports divisions. As long as it is clear and upfront.

It will open up a huge can of worms but that shouldn't stop us.

Üser Friendly
6th April 16, 01:23 PM
..,.and a tech free division

Competitors naked and bare foot

Feryk
6th April 16, 01:33 PM
I'm all for having performance enhanced-sports divisions. As long as it is clear and upfront.

It will open up a huge can of worms but that shouldn't stop us.

Your company will have a field day with the advertising opportunity this would represent.

Robot Jesus
14th April 16, 04:15 PM
I don't think PEDs are banned due to health and safety

Only reason I've ever heard. If something is harmful in the long term to use, but gives an edge over people who don't take it, at any competitive level everyone must take it to keep up; so it cannot be allowed. Current anti doping standards keep a bit of a lid on it as carefully measured doses must be applied to utilize the effect while keeping things on the dl. opening it up completly would lead to very short lives for athletes.

Unless I'm missing something.

Feryk
15th April 16, 10:24 AM
The tech is getting better. For example, robotic red blood cells could radically improve stamina, speed, etc. without causing your heart to explode a decade later. But for now, yes, that is the issue.

Robot Jesus
16th April 16, 09:42 AM
and once the science is perfected won't everyone have them anyway?

Feryk
16th April 16, 01:11 PM
Unknown. Science doesn't 'perfect' anything and the tech will continuously improve. So, like in auto racing, it may become more about the tech than the athlete.

BUT, there might be a blowback on that, so the 'natural man' movement, might spark some demand. I mean, it's one thing to watch RoboNoB leap up a skyscraper on his way to victory, but wouldn't some of you rather see Naked Resolve using only his wits to fight for survival in the new Jurassic Park Spartan Race? I would.

Syntactical Disruptorize
16th April 16, 03:46 PM
How about a Minimal Man competition, where people try to get along with as little of an anatomy as possible?

You don't need two kidneys, testicles, lungs, eyes. You don't need external ears. The appendix is certainly superfluous.

You don't need legs; walk on your hands. Most of the intestine is unnecessary.

Feryk
16th April 16, 04:02 PM
How about a Minimal Man competition, where people try to get along with as little of an anatomy as possible?

You don't need two kidneys, testicles, lungs, eyes. You don't need external ears. The appendix is certainly superfluous.

You don't need legs; walk on your hands. Most of the intestine is unnecessary.

I could see that being the next event for Naked Resolve after the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park get through with him :)

resolve
16th April 16, 06:10 PM
I could see that being the next event for Naked Resolve after the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park get through with him :)

0_o?

I don't even...

?

I_keWS1i3RA

Üser Friendly
17th April 16, 09:51 AM
How about a Minimal Man competition,

You could be their poster boy

Üser Friendly
17th April 16, 10:00 AM
Only reason I've ever heard. If something is harmful in the long term to use, but gives an edge over people who don't take it, at any competitive level everyone must take it to keep up; so it cannot be allowed. Current anti doping standards keep a bit of a lid on it as carefully measured doses must be applied to utilize the effect while keeping things on the dl. opening it up completly would lead to very short lives for athletes.

Unless I'm missing something.

If it was just down to H&S, I'm sure procedures could be adopted to mitigate the worst of the health problems in a totally unregulated market

PED are banned because of archaic ideas of naturalistic humans competing on an even playing field, as (the) god(s) decreed etc.

Plenty of high level sports people suffer problems in later life due to the rigors of training and competing, let alone the accidents that can occur during training and competition

Feryk
18th April 16, 10:57 AM
Steroids are awesome!

Syntactical Disruptorize
18th April 16, 11:56 AM
Doofa versus ICY. I'd pay to watch that.

Feryk
18th April 16, 12:06 PM
Throw Lebell into the mix and you've really got something!

MerkinMuffly
18th April 16, 12:08 PM
The trifreakta.

Üser Friendly
18th April 16, 12:59 PM
If folks want to take steroids to perform better, as long as they are aware of the risks, let them

If doing so is considered cheating then they must be prepared to take the consequences if they get found out

Robot Jesus
18th April 16, 03:00 PM
Unknown. Science doesn't 'perfect' anything and the tech will continuously improve. So, like in auto racing, it may become more about the tech than the athlete.

maybe not perfect. although once I can get a shot in the arm and then run a marathon without breathing hard or training or shortening my life, everyone will take said shot.

Feryk
18th April 16, 04:14 PM
Pretty much. And so, when Joe Highschool take the shot and runs faster, farther and with less effort than a Natural Man who has trained his entire life...it gets a lot less interesting to watch the Natural Man.

Üser Friendly
19th April 16, 12:55 AM
http://globalsportsdevelopment.org/steroid-use-among-high-school-athletes/

In a 2002 National Institute of Drug Abuse study, 2.5% of 8th graders, 2.5% of 10th graders, and 4% of 12th graders admitted to using steroids at some time. (Steroid Abuse Moves Into the Scholastic Arena, 2008) It is reported that 6% of athletes have used steroids, but the actual number is thought to be much higher. (Abuse, 2006)

Feryk
19th April 16, 09:32 AM
That would match up with my high school experience. LOTS of steroid use amongst the athletes, and then a few that were just kids who wanted to be bullied less, etc.

Üser Friendly
19th April 16, 11:23 AM
I suppose it is just another aspect of the drugs legalising issue, with all the pros and cons that that entails

Feryk
19th April 16, 01:26 PM
I am certainly no expert on this. When I heard that excessive steroid use could make your balls shrivel up, teenage me was done.

Never even remotely considered it any other time.

Harpy
19th April 16, 08:21 PM
Same here.

NoBowie
11th July 16, 11:09 AM
Same here.

When you heard that excessive steroid use could make your balls shrivel up, teenage you was done?

Don't tell me you are a Futanari...

MerkinMuffly
11th July 16, 12:00 PM
No, his balls shriveled up on their own and then he was a she.
Take a walk on the wild side.

Feryk
11th July 16, 12:20 PM
Nope. I just like my balls, more than my biceps as it turned out, thank you.

MerkinMuffly
11th July 16, 10:54 PM
I'm talking about Lily's balls right now.
Wait your turn.

Harpy
12th July 16, 12:21 AM
Tell me about it, gone in 2009.

NoBowie
12th July 16, 05:54 AM
Tell me about it, gone in 2009.

Does your husband keep them in his purse?