PDA

View Full Version : The Spreading of Misinformation

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
26th January 16, 07:39 AM
"The spreading of misinformation online", Vicario et al. Jan 19, 2016, PNAS , vol. 113(3), 554-559.

Abstract

The wide availability of user-provided content in online social media facilitates the aggregation of people around common interests, worldviews, and narratives. However, the World Wide Web (WWW) also allows for the rapid dissemination of unsubstantiated rumors and conspiracy theories that often elicit rapid, large, but naive social responses such as the recent case of Jade Helm 15 where a simple military exercise turned out to be perceived as the beginning of a new civil war in the United States. In this work, we address the determinants governing misinformation spreading through a thorough quantitative analysis. In particular, we focus on how Facebook users consume information related to two distinct narratives: scientific and conspiracy news. We find that, although consumers of scientific and conspiracy stories present similar consumption patterns with respect to content, cascade dynamics differ. Selective exposure to content is the primary driver of content diffusion and generates the formation of homogeneous clusters, i.e.,“echo chambers.” Indeed, homogeneity appears to be the primary driver for the diffusion of contents and each echo chamber has its own cascade dynamics. Finally, we introduce a data-driven percolation model mimicking rumor spreading and we show that homogeneity and polarization are the main determinants for predicting cascades’ size.

Link to a free PDF of the full Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America article (http://www.pnas.org/content/113/3/554.full.pdf)

SooooOOoo social media helps create polarized committees that share the same bullshit!

Who'd of guessed?

Pie of Hate
26th January 16, 08:20 AM
This is all the governments work to try and centralise the distribution of news and oppress personal opinion.

Üser Friendly
26th January 16, 08:29 AM
The Dr got his PhD on line I heard

Syntactical Disruptorize
26th January 16, 09:21 AM
I thought you were going to write this in the first person, Doc.

Feryk
26th January 16, 05:03 PM
This is all the governments work to try and centralise the distribution of news and oppress personal opinion.

Ha! Joke is on you! There is no [/CONSPIRACY]!

Pie of Hate
27th January 16, 04:59 AM
Ha! Joke is on you! There is no [/CONSPIRACY]!

Are you trying to misinform me?

Feryk
27th January 16, 12:19 PM
I didn't have to, you already were.

Pie of Hate
27th January 16, 12:22 PM
Or was I...

DUN DUN DUUUuuuuUUUuuUUN!!!!

27th January 16, 03:28 PM
Participants in online communities may find their own opinions constantly echoed back to them, which reinforces their individual belief systems. This can create significant barriers to critical discourse within an online medium. Due to forming friendships and communities with like-minded people, this effect can also occur in real life. The echo chamber effect may also prevent individuals from noticing changes in language and culture involving groups other than their own. Regardless, the echo chamber effect reinforces one's own present world view, making it seem more correct and more universally accepted than it really is. Another emerging term for this echoing and homogenizing effect on the Internet within social communities is cultural tribalism.

Full article. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_%28media%29)

Feryk
27th January 16, 03:36 PM
I keep thinking about Bullshido and how this applies. Squats and Milk!

28th January 16, 07:44 AM
Nothing an ordinary member of the public does as consumer, as voter, or participant in public discourse will have any effect on the risk that climate change poses to her or anyone else. Same for gun control, fracking, and nuclear waste disposal: her actions just don’t matter enough to influence collective behavior or policymaking. But given what positions on these issues signify about the sort of person she is, adopting a mistaken stance on one of these in her everyday interactions with other ordinary people could expose her to devastating consequences, both material and psychic. It is perfectly rational under these circumstances to process information in a manner that promotes formation of the beliefs on these issues that express her group allegiances, and to bring all her cognitive resources to bear in doing so.

"The Expressive Rationality of Inaccurate Perceptions" Dan M. Kahan, October 7, 2015, Behavioral & Brain Sciences. (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2670981)

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 09:02 AM
Ooo!, what are the psychic consequences?

You can read minds, but only when someone thinks ill of you

28th January 16, 09:05 AM
That would be handy!

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 09:16 AM
I imagine it would start out all fun and games, but would become a bit of a downer after a while

Especially for you, who every one hates

28th January 16, 10:21 AM
:-(

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 12:11 PM
Apart from me

28th January 16, 12:41 PM
:-)

NoBowie
28th January 16, 01:59 PM
Fauxtor smell like goat's ass. I like goat's ass.

28th January 16, 05:16 PM
:-(

Feryk
28th January 16, 05:27 PM
I imagine it would start out all fun and games, but would become a bit of a downer after a while

Especially for you, who every one hates

I would like to see Donald Trump endowed with this particular ability.

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 05:28 PM
Looking on the bright side, you do smell of goats arse

Feryk
28th January 16, 05:32 PM
I'm not familiar with that scent. Does it smell like http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/vermontcountrystore/67971_sil_main?wid=260&hei=340&&id=SGDTk1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=326&hei=480

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 05:36 PM
More

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/otokonoko.jpg?w=540&h=400

Feryk
28th January 16, 05:39 PM
I am both amused and horrified by things found in Japanese society.

Üser Friendly
28th January 16, 05:50 PM
Karate isn't that bad

Pie of Hate
29th January 16, 07:48 AM
Karate isn't that bad

You sir, have been misinformed.

NoBowie
29th January 16, 10:59 AM
You sir, have been misinformed.

But... but... my Kata!

Pie of Hate
29th January 16, 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8R1-NKVfUc

NoBowie
29th August 16, 12:32 PM
For the first time in history, the number of people living in extreme poverty has fallen below 10%.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sri-mulyani-indrawati/ending-poverty-means-clos_b_10029280.html

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:32 AM
Cuz dead.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:43 AM
The good news is that over 14% of Americans live in poverty.
Oh, wait, that's bad news.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 12:48 AM
The good news is that over 14% of Americans live in poverty.
Oh, wait, that's bad news.

Yes. And many of those Americans 'in Poverty' have an automobile and cable television.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:55 AM
Yes. And many of those Americans 'in Poverty' have an automobile and cable television.
Yes, because having a car payment and a cable bill is so much better than being able to afford healthcare or any savings.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 01:00 AM
63% of Americans don't have enough savings to cover a $500 emergency.

Thanks, Repuglycans

NoBowie
30th August 16, 10:04 AM
Yes, because having a car payment and a cable bill is so much better than being able to afford healthcare or any savings.

Don't get a car, don't get cable. Simple.

I used to volunteer in the projects in Boston. Folks were living in public housing, complaining they can't afford anything, yet they had a car (didn't need one because of public transit) and spent over $100 a month on cable TV.

Sorry, you don't need more money. You need a budget.

63% of Americans don't have enough savings to cover a $500 emergency.

Thanks, Repuglycans

Betcha I could find severe budget problems in 98 percent of those folks expenditures. (both the Republicans and the 63 percent)

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:20 PM
http://spiritualcompassconnection.com/images/monkeys.jpg

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:24 PM
Nob wants an America where the working poor rely on public transportation and spend zero dollars on anything that takes their minds off how badly they are getting fucked by billionaires. Meanwhile he can rearrange their books so that they can afford decent food and healthcare all the while saving money for retirement.

NoB lives in fantasy-land.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 12:36 PM
Nob wants an America where the working poor rely on public transportation and spend zero dollars on anything that takes their minds off how badly they are getting fucked by billionaires. Meanwhile he can rearrange their books so that they can afford decent food and healthcare all the while saving money for retirement.

Billionaires aren't fucking the poor in the U.S. The poor fuck themselves. Need entertainment but don't have much income? USE THE FUCKING LIBRARY. Don't spend $100+ a month on fucking cable.

NoB lives in fantasy-land.

Nope. You live in a fantasy land where folks in a fucking first world country have no power to improve their situation.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:41 PM
Billionaires aren't fucking the poor in the U.S. The poor fuck themselves. Need entertainment but don't have much income? USE THE FUCKING LIBRARY. Don't spend $100+ a month on fucking cable.
This is what's known as a red-herring fallacy.

You live in a fantasy land where folks in a fucking first world country have no power to improve their situation.

Spoken like a true white man.

Feryk
30th August 16, 12:46 PM
NoB's philosophy is somewhat antiquated. I predict in 10 years, we will all look back on this exchange and laugh.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 12:49 PM
NoB is only half trolling and so am I.
The truth is somewhere in between.

If NoB and I were to go to a pub, the only thing we would argue about is who the hottest chick was.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 12:59 PM
NoB's philosophy is somewhat antiquated. I predict in 10 years, we will all look back on this exchange and laugh.

Ah. The old 'Just wait, you'll see!' argument. Well, you have me there.

In ten years, if there are enough far left wing fucks in power to really screw up the economy by making sure more folks pay their 'fair share' I will be crying, not laughing.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 01:02 PM
If NoB and I were to go to a pub, the only thing we would argue about is who the hottest chick was.

No, you would be complimenting my picture taking / photoshop skills as I only appear somewhat ugly and fat in the images here.

Also, you don't live in real Portland, how am I supposed to stop by a pub that is not too far off my route?

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 01:15 PM
Real Portland sucks. I am about a minute from I-84 just east of I-205.

I could move to the freeway overpass to make it more convenient for you, but I'd have to give up cable.

MerkinMuffly
30th August 16, 01:19 PM

In ten years, if there are enough far left wing fucks in power to really screw up the economy by making sure more folks pay their 'fair share' I will be crying, not laughing.

If you need me to take a look at your expenditures at that point and possibly drive you to the library, I'm happy to help.

Feryk
30th August 16, 01:53 PM

Let me show you your future, NoB. Don't say you weren't warned.

http://qz.com/765902/ubi-wouldnt-mean-everyone-quits-working/

https://shift.newco.co/the-real-reason-this-elephant-chart-is-terrifying-421e34cc4aa6?imm_mid=0e70e8#.3ybek0jfc

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/minimum-income-hugh-segal-ontario-budget-1.3740373

This is being experimented with right now. So far, the results are better than I would have expected (I expected total disaster), but it appears that the people who leave the workforce because they have a basic living wage turn their efforts towards socially useful endeavors like caring for elderly relatives, etc.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 01:56 PM
Real Portland sucks. I am about a minute from I-84 just east of I-205.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/QLsLkjG.jpg

Ah. That is less than 2.5 hours from where I work.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 02:10 PM
Let me show you your future, NoB. Don't say you weren't warned.

http://qz.com/765902/ubi-wouldnt-mean-everyone-quits-working/

https://shift.newco.co/the-real-reason-this-elephant-chart-is-terrifying-421e34cc4aa6?imm_mid=0e70e8#.3ybek0jfc

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/minimum-income-hugh-segal-ontario-budget-1.3740373

This is being experimented with right now. So far, the results are better than I would have expected (I expected total disaster), but it appears that the people who leave the workforce because they have a basic living wage turn their efforts towards socially useful endeavors like caring for elderly relatives, etc.

I had read the elephant chart one already. They experiment with all sorts of stuff, doesn't mean that is the future of global economics.

For this sort of plan I prefer the system where instead of a 'universal income' you are given a tax refund at the beginning of the year and based on what you earn you either have to pay it back or you don't. Everyone gets it, those who don't contribute enough to society to get paid above a certain amount don't have to pay it back.

Left wing folks always suck at nomenclature, because they care about feelings more than results.

Don't make folks feel entitled to something by using the wrong title or structure. "Universal Basic Income" Ha! Bullshit. This isn't something you have earned. You are getting this because you failed.

Feryk
30th August 16, 03:17 PM
Think of it as a skunkworks salary on a national level. You are paying people to stay at home and solve their own fucking problems.

Some of them will create new tech or art that will change the world. The vast majority will not, but if we get out of having to warehouse them or their parents, it is still a social benefit.

Call it what you want, I wouldn't care. Having said that, the problem I see with your scheme is the 'pay it back' side of the equation. Generally, people suck at that.

NoBowie
30th August 16, 04:27 PM
Call it what you want, I wouldn't care. Having said that, the problem I see with your scheme is the 'pay it back' side of the equation. Generally, people suck at that.

It's taxes they would be paying. It is a preemptive tax refund.

Feryk
30th August 16, 04:58 PM
So, you give someone $20000 on Jan 1. At the end of the year, you ask for it back. Think they will pay you?

NoBowie
30th August 16, 05:20 PM
So, you give someone $20000 on Jan 1. At the end of the year, you ask for it back. Think they will pay you?

Do people pay taxes? They only have to give all / a portion of it back if they meet certain income levels.

Recap: A tax system. Only thing is, they get a preemptive refund which they get to keep if they don't reach a certain income during the year. It is a form of guaranteed income, but couched within the tax system.

Feryk
2nd September 16, 03:32 PM
Well, however you slice it, the idea of a guaranteed income is getting serious traction right now. In Canada, they estimate it would cost $1.4 Trillion dollars. I seriously doubt it will happen, but it comes around every so often.

NoBowie
6th September 16, 02:29 PM
In Canada, they estimate it would cost $1.4 Trillion dollars.

Which they would take from the folks / companies "not paying their fair share".

EVERY form of government is made up of greedy capitalist pigs. Just look how they go after money, even the first world countries that aren't strapped.

Leave Apple, Google, etc. alone. Especially if they provide individuals jobs that pay well in your country which you just so happen to tax the hell out of. Goddamn double dipping leeches. Tax the corporation, or the individual working for it. You don't need to tax the hell out of both.

NoBowie
2nd April 17, 09:02 PM
I've seen things
I've heard things
And I've touched things
All from beyond this dimension
Things that disprove both science and religion, and makes earth a prison planet.

I have physical evidence to support my claims, the few people I've shown (3 actually) have gone mad and committed suicide out of fear.

MerkinMuffly
2nd April 17, 11:30 PM
Thank you, Alex Jones.